LegacyGT.com

Why can't Subaru make reasonable wheel gaps?

rs6er

I've read every thread on suspension on this forum. I had decided on Pinks for my spec B but got talked into Ions by someone who had used both. I'm not happy with the harshness of the ride over bumps. I thought coilovers would be the answer, but after reading all the posts, I don't think they are the answer either. I LIKED the stock SpecB suspension (I'm not a street or track racer- I have an old Porsche for that.) All I want is a car that looks good but with a stock ride. Am I SOL?

What size tires are you running? I'm on 225/45/18s and they smooth out a lot of harshness that I experienced when I was running 225/40/18s. BTW, I'm on JDM Spec B struts and Wangan springs. I used to have Spec B struts and pink springs. I never thought the ride was harsh with either set up, but, like I said, I did think 225/40/18s made my ride harsh.

What size tires are you running? I'm on 225/45/18s and they smooth out a lot of harshness that I experienced when I was running 225/40/18s. BTW, I'm on JDM Spec B struts and Wangan springs. I used to have Spec B struts and pink springs. I never thought the ride was harsh with either set up, but, like I said, I did think 225/40/18s made my ride harsh.

Right now I have 17" Rotas with Blizzaks on it.

I am constantly hitting the bumpstops.

not to be rude or anything -but do you drive like a maniac? you should not be hitting your bumpstops unless something is really wrong or you are a nut behind the wheel.

If you didn't hit the bump stops with your stock Spec B springs, you shouldn't hit the bump stops with pink springs. I've never had a problem hitting the bumpstops with either pinks or Wangans which have nearly identical spring rates.

I'm only hitting the bumpstops (I think that's what it is when the front end goes bang!) on bumps. I am the farthest thing from a maniac driver. On smooth pavement there is no problem. The springs were installed by an off-duty Subaru tech at a dealer who does lots of performance work. I was told these were progressive SpecB specific springs by Ion and would be more comfortable than Pinks.

Ion told me to check my dust boots to see if they were hitting. Does this make sense?

Coilovers are not the way to go if you want a smooth close-to-stock ride with a "good looking" lowered ride. Even the mildest coilovers will jolt you around more so than most of the most aggressive spring + stock strut setup. Pinks are a good compromise. Cutting your stock springs is not ideal as rate, travel, seating, and potentially hardness near where you cut them (due to heat) will be affected.

:cool:

________________________________________________ [URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/vbpicgallery.php?do=view&g=1980"]'05 BSM OBXT Row-your-own, W.I.P. :rolleyes:[/URL] [URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/vbpicgallery.php?do=view&g=1242"]'06 Shrek B # 64 - The car the wife loved to hate :( Sold...[/URL]

^ Negative. KW coilovers very smooth riding. Almost too soft for serious performance suspension. Plus full control of ride height.

Coilovers are not the way to go if you want a smooth close-to-stock ride with a "good looking" lowered ride. Even the mildest coilovers will jolt you around more so than most of the most aggressive spring + stock strut setup. Pinks are a good compromise. Cutting your stock springs is not ideal as rate, travel, seating, and potentially hardness near where you cut them (due to heat) will be affected.

:cool:

I disagree...

we could argue all day about this... I have put coilover and strut/shock setups on literally 1000's of cars.

anyone else wanna chime in here?

I disagree...

we could argue all day about this... I have put coilover and strut/shock setups on literally 1000's of cars.

anyone else wanna chime in here?

That's your prerogative, sure. Rs6er can take rides in countless coilver LGTs at the Tri-State Harriman meet and make up his own mind.

________________________________________________ [URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/vbpicgallery.php?do=view&g=1980"]'05 BSM OBXT Row-your-own, W.I.P. :rolleyes:[/URL] [URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/vbpicgallery.php?do=view&g=1242"]'06 Shrek B # 64 - The car the wife loved to hate :( Sold...[/URL]

That's your prerogative, sure. Rs6er can take rides in countless coilver LGTs at the Tri-State Harriman meet and make up his own mind.

Not to mention, countless people can tell me if there's something wrong with the installed springs.

just go with tein h-techs

H-techs are comfy but will give you an uneven drop. The front will be way to high in relation to the drop in the back. First-hand experience here.

Got any photos of your installation?

And what is your definition of "reasonable wheel gaps".. IMO, the gap looks best when it is even all around the wheel and not so low that you can barely get a finger in between the top of the tire and fender...

The front gap looks good with the Ions. The rear is too much. Here are pictures of the front, rear and rear with a practically empty gas tank.

Jack at Ion Performance told me to check the front dust boots. He thinks the boot may be too compressed and should be trimmed. I just looked at it and it is pretty compressed. He thinks this is what I may be mistaking for hitting the bump stops (also, I read somewhere that inverted struts like Bilsteins don't have bump stops. Is this true?)

In any case, there is a pronounced muscle car rake. The rear seems much too high.

Just did a finger test. Fronts are 1 finger. Left rear is 2 1/2 fingers. Right rear is 3 1/2 fingers.

361118883_FrontGAP.thumb.jpg.e438a5bde1c65c1e871045aa6a5426d5.jpg

1893879950_REARGAP.thumb.jpg.ec6d1fa9c90b83e3c49c1fe9ede3ba16.jpg

1821902616_SpecBRearGap.jpg.df20c0a49cdeb87968c2909f0559e220.jpg

Archived