LegacyGT.com

Another one bites the dust...

Well, I hate to say it but another LGT has bitten the dust.

I was driving down a small road near a grocery store today maybe 40-50km/h.

There was a car in front of me that turned right into the supermarket parking lot, I was heading straight.

There was a white van waiting at the stopsign where the car in front of me had turned into. The driver of the white van didnt see my car and just pulled out right in front of me trying to turn left.

To avoid T-boning him on the drivers side I swerved to the right slightly hitting the middle of the side of the van and then crashing into the front of the car that was waiting behind the van. It all happend so quick I didnt even have time to hit the horn and barely enough time to hit the brakes.

Everyone was fine. My airbag deployed. Front end is pretty bad, I would guess severe structural damage at least. The tow truck driver and my insurance broker think it will be a write off, especially with the car market in Canada these days vs the US.

I will have to wait a bit to hear back from the appraiser.

:mad::(

Even though it was very evidently the vans fault the situation was fairly amicable. I got out of my car freaking out and cursing obscenities (not at any one just at the situation) <-- my first accident. The other guy who was drivng the car behind the van was like, " 'don worry man tis just a car..."

And its true..... a pain in the ass, and very stressful but nobody harmed so all is good. I actually feel just as bad for the two other guys, this kind of thing sucks for all involved.

I will sorely miss my baby LGT which I have loved driving since 04 when I got her. It is likely due to the circumstances and the pending end of my lease that I will not end up with an LGT going forward assuming this car is a writeoff.

I actually plan to do some travelling soon so I will hold off for a year or so before getting something else.

Ill keep you guys posted. It has been a lot of fun being on this board for the past 4-5 years with a great crew and a lot of good laughs.

Deimos

Deimos, so sorry to hear. good that nobody was hurt.

I'd be pretty upset if I totaled my wagon, but that guy was right... it is just a car after all...

Where are you going to travel to? Japan? Europe?

It's just a car. When you're on your 8th car you'll not be so attached to it. :-)

Of those 8, only 1 was wrecked - my first one. MAN was I p*ssed! The rest were just trade-ups. (I've been driving for 17 years)

sorry about the crash...do you have any pics...curious how the front held. glad to see your ok!

Thanks for the support guys.

Here are some low quality phone pics, all I have. The car looks worse in person.

Now that im driving a Taurus SEL aka "The Land Barge", I really miss my car :(

car1.jpg.8e41e7dc81753b9e94c43283dd8441c1.jpg

car2.jpg.66607f22da4e91f914483b9dfba614ad.jpg

car3.jpg.088cf0ac709c449706689ce883ed9d04.jpg

car4.jpg.2b778c14e042ad8ead606e6e3fd47c36.jpg

car5.jpg.196f31fc58c36441fafffb6c6ccde574.jpg

"The Land Barge"...:lol:

airbag deployed, sense of humor...still in tact.

i need to do some reading on what triggers the airbag. different accident pics with varying front end damage have been hit or miss on deploying...thanks for the pics.

stomp that pedal on the barge...take a sip of coffee and check the watch...it will take off eventually!

Deimos, so sorry to hear. good that nobody was hurt.

I'd be pretty upset if I totaled my wagon, but that guy was right... it is just a car after all...

Where are you going to travel to? Japan? Europe?

Thanks!

Yeah im getting married in the fall (just after my lease is set to end) and were heading off on a trip around the world for a year (maybe a topic for another thread ;) )

We will start in Mexico for a month, then SE Asia, India for 5-6 months, China and a month or so in eastern Europe at the end, I cant wait!

"The Land Barge"...:lol:

airbag deployed, sense of humor...still in tact.

i need to do some reading on what triggers the airbag. different accident pics with varying front end damage have been hit or miss on deploying...thanks for the pics.

I would wager it has something to do with speed of impact or maybe just a certain degree of structural damage?

The road was wet and I didnt get much of a chance to slow down before impact.

Thanks!

Yeah im getting married in the fall (just after my lease is set to end) and were heading off on a trip around the world for a year (maybe a topic for another thread ;) )

We will start in Mexico for a month, then SE Asia, India for 5-6 months, China and a month or so in eastern Europe at the end, I cant wait!

Deduct 2 months from India, add one more to China and one to Eastern Europe.

that probably can get repaired.

To tell you the truth, I hope not.

The damage was such that this car would never be the same again afterwards. It may just look like a fender bender in the pics but I would argue there has been some structural damage of some sort. The frame has to be bent a bit after that accident.

The costs of repair, will hopefully outweigh replacement, given the car market these days (dont forget I am in Canada where the car prices are much higher than they are worth relative to the US).

We'll see what happens I guess.

Sorry for your loss. I'm glad that you and everyone else is fine.

Why wouldn't you get another Legacy? After this one saved your life, I would go for another one in a heart beat. Maybe it is the pics, but that damage could have been a lot worse. I would say your car held up quite well, even if it turns out to be a total loss.

If I had something important to say, I wouldn't tell you anyway.

yeah the pics dont look bad at all, but the drivers side is pushed back almost to the wheel well... that cant be good for the structure of the car.

I imagine the salvage value of the car plus the repairs would be quite high vs replacement value, especially given the cost of US legacies.

I loved my LGT and would certainly look at another one, it is more a timing thing, where I wouldnt want to be tied to any lease, etc as I will be travelling.

When I return I would certainly look at a LGT again.

Its official, shes a write-off!

Im glad to be honest, (given the circumstances), I wouldnt want to have that thing "fixed" and handed back to me.

I dont know the details other than when they took it apart it was "far worse than they expected" and as such is a total-loss.

It should work out fine for me given the end of lease was close and my car was in top condition, I may even get a few grand for the extra value I managed to keep in the car over my lease period. Which will help ease the pain a bit.

Now I need to figure out what I will do for a DD until I leave for my trip in October, either a short-lease takeover (which could be messy?) or some $3k beater that I can live with driving and enjoy for 6 months (unlikely).

We'll see...

I miss my baby.......:icon_sad:

Sorry to hear about this... question - how is the extra lease value calculated in a totalled vehicle?

As far as I know, and I'm still not 100% as I only had a brief conversation with insurance today:

Basically it should be my pre-tax buyout amount plus the remainder of the payments I would owe. That is the buyout value as far as I am aware.

Then they take the appraisal from insurance against the buyout amount and if there is either money left over or money left owing you get the extra or you owe the extra.

Luckily I kept my car in top shape and it appears that I got a good appraisal!

But we will see exactly how it pans out.

any pics of where the airbag deployed from the A-pilar?

Only the airbag from the steering wheel deployed.

I have to go see the car to pickup my plates so ill see if I can snag a few more pics.

Archived