LegacyGT.com

'08 STi or '08 SpecB?

tjcarst

Hi - I missed that you shared with me that you were one of us gals. :) I don't typically check profiles. Thanks for all of your advice.

Stock LGT will need springs, rear sway bar and front strut brace. Probably not going to happen with my DH. Neither of us has mechanical exp and don't know anyone who does. Local is expensive.

So, that leaves me with the STi.

Rear sway bar is easy. Hubby had those switched out in less than an hour. :) there are also great how-to's on the forums.

But again, stock for stock, STI wins hands down... no matter what year of looks you prefer. The new 08 does have a much better ride imo, and of course, the utility of a hatch vs non-folding rear seats in the prev gen years. At least the newer LGT/Specs have rear folding seats!

Wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle yeah!!!

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply
As harsh as C/O's may be, springs on stock struts are fine at first, but sooner than later you'll be avoiding EVERY manhole cover on the road.

A good set of dampening adjustable C/O's or adjustable struts+springs is the way to go IMHO. For the record, I'm running pinks and tokicos (adjustable) and it's night and day over pinks and stock struts, in terms of comfort and performance.

Oh, FWIW, IMO the stock suspension blows. OP, if handling is important to you, and judging by your thoughts of the STI, the LGT is going to disappoint you, handling wise, in stock form. SpecB though, on the otherhand, is another story, but I don't have any experience with it.

I've driven the 07 and 08 Spec B's... handling is still less than to be desired in their stock form even if better than a stock LGT. again, stock for stock when it comes to handling, the STI was built for it while the Spec is not really... it's more or less sporty, but not a sports/rally car.

post pics of yourself and we'll tell u what to get ;):lol:

You guys are too visual. How I look shouldn't help you select the best car for me. :)

I went to an IT technical conference/training session yesterday. I was standing in the hall talking to DH on the cell and when I turned around three men were leaning over in a classroom trying to get a look. If you gotta look, at least don't be so obvious. ;)

Rear sway bar is easy. Hubby had those switched out in less than an hour. :) there are also great how-to's on the forums.

If I change anything, it's best I do it myself or find someone else. DH has no patience for that type of thing. A neighbor who was great at this type of work moved away last summer. Bummed about that.

as I said, I'd have done it myself, the sways are very very easy to do. However, I have to find things for him to do that we can do together. :)

Lucky you! The only thing we've worked ontogether, successfully, is constructing a pergola over the patio. Everything else is a struggle as we tackle things from different angles. :(

Lucky you! The only thing we've worked ontogether, successfully, is constructing a pergola over the patio. Everything else is a struggle as we tackle things from different angles. :(

I understand, that's why I now just hand him tools or send him back upstairs. ;)

I read your post. I had a silver 04 wrx before I bought my 08 spec b. Thats ironic. I feel you on the 04's road noise. The spec b is quiet and has soo much more torque than my wrx. Its really what I wanted. I haven't driven an 08 sti, I drove an 07 before I bought mine. You can feel that the legacy is a good bit heavier. But I love mine:). I dont miss the wrx for a second. Still haul ass in the turns and now I dont have to redline it for power.

I read your post. I had a silver 04 wrx before I bought my 08 spec b. Thats ironic. I feel you on the 04's road noise. The spec b is quiet and has soo much more torque than my wrx. Its really what I wanted. I haven't driven an 08 sti, I drove an 07 before I bought mine. You can feel that the legacy is a good bit heavier. But I love mine:). I dont miss the wrx for a second. Still haul ass in the turns and now I dont have to redline it for power.

Thanks! Did you - by chance - get to drive GT to compare to the Spec? If so, what did you notice different? I don't care about nav and hate to pay $$ for it.

I understand, that's why I now just hand him tools or send him back upstairs. ;)

That works 50% of the time. Until he gets stuck on something. Then, no patience, and no way do I get a chance to try and figure it out. Trust me, better to pay for someone else to do it. DH doesn't believe in modifying. Stock all the way.

STi. I'm ...a'hem.. also near your age range. Do it now. 2 kids here and a GT wagon that's got too many miles on it and not paid off and I still have the STi slicks on my office desk.

I saw you mention a BMW earlier as well. I'm not a BMW guy, but the new 1 series may be the tix. It's almost as fast as the M3 and I saw the STi in my dealers showroom for $37K c no navi:eek:. That hi power 1 series can be got for that.

Have fun.

STi. I'm ...a'hem.. also near your age range. Do it now. 2 kids here and a GT wagon that's got too many miles on it and not paid off and I still have the STi slicks on my office desk.

I saw you mention a BMW earlier as well. I'm not a BMW guy, but the new 1 series may be the tix. It's almost as fast as the M3 and I saw the STi in my dealers showroom for $37K c no navi:eek:. That hi power 1 series can be got for that.

Have fun.

Thanks for your comment.

I need AWD in Nebraska - I believe the 1 series is RWD. Also want 4 doors. The 335xi and 328xi are AWD. I can get an STi for about 32k from my local dealer without nav and 0% financing right now. If it wasn't for the need for AWD I would have a whole new range of cars from which to choose.

Thanks for your comment.

I need AWD in Nebraska - I believe the 1 series is RWD. Also want 4 doors. The 335xi and 328xi are AWD. I can get an STi for about 32k from my local dealer without nav and 0% financing right now. If it wasn't for the need for AWD I would have a whole new range of cars from which to choose.

that's a great price. we paid just under that for our 07 last year, so if you can get an 08 for that, go for it. Unfortunately, my STI will not arrive before the end of the month, so I won't be able to qualify for that financing promo. :(

There's the Jeremy Clarkson perspective to consider:

Right now, I'm looking out of my window at the new Subaru Impreza WRX, and I'm sorry, but there's no getting away from the big, all-consuming, overpowering fact that despite a number of outstanding features, no one in their right mind will buy such a thing. Because it looks like it's been hosed down with a massive and sustained burst of fire from the ugly gun.

There is no excuse for this. There are designers at Subaru who can create a pretty car. You only need cast an appreciative eye over the Legacy shooting brake [station wagon] to know that. But Subaru obviously felt that when it came to the Impreza, the badge alone would be enough to carry the day. And therefore allowed the styling to be done by the boss's dog.

Who Dares Wins

スバル

Thanks for your comment.

An 08 new sti for 32k? Thats about 1k under invoice. That's a steal! I would buy an sti from that dealership over a spec b too!

I have to say that, being on the cusp of this same decision (and with plenty of informed Subaru experience), I'm considerably influenced by the paint sanding threads over on the 08 STI parts of IWSTI.com. If it were only people with wider tires (or some other aftermarket part) who were having the problem, it wouldn't bother me. But it looks like a more fundamental aerodynamic design problem -- road grit thrown off the front tires blasts the rear door panels. Mud flaps (maybe or maybe not available yet) could help, but that's putting a band-aid on a gun-shot wound.

As a result, I'm leaning more and more toward the LGTL. HPH

I have to say that, being on the cusp of this same decision (and with plenty of informed Subaru experience), I'm considerably influenced by the paint sanding threads over on the 08 STI parts of IWSTI.com. If it were only people with wider tires (or some other aftermarket part) who were having the problem, it wouldn't bother me. But it looks like a more fundamental aerodynamic design problem -- road grit thrown off the front tires blasts the rear door panels. Mud flaps (maybe or maybe not available yet) could help, but that's putting a band-aid on a gun-shot wound.

As a result, I'm leaning more and more toward the LGTL. HPH

Rally Armor just released the mud flaps for the 08 STI yesterday. I already ordered a set....

I assume you are buying from DuTeau? When I lived in Omaha, I drove to Lincoln to buy my 2004 WRX from them. Nice people and I feel I got a good deal....Kevin was my salesman. Nice guy.

An 08 new sti for 32k? Thats about 1k under invoice. That's a steal! I would buy an sti from that dealership over a spec b too!

The dealer is willing to come 10% off sticker of 36,267. That's around 32.6K. Heuberger's in Colorado Springs has two online available for 10.5%. There's a dealer not far from Orlando FL that is also about that much off (sorry, can't remember the name at the moment).

I assume you are buying from DuTeau? When I lived in Omaha, I drove to Lincoln to buy my 2004 WRX from them. Nice people and I feel I got a good deal....Kevin was my salesman. Nice guy.

Yes, DuTeau. John is my salesman. Has been for 17 years. Nice dealership.

that's a great price. we paid just under that for our 07 last year, so if you can get an 08 for that, go for it. Unfortunately, my STI will not arrive before the end of the month, so I won't be able to qualify for that financing promo. :(

With the current state of the economy, maybe the same offer will be available.

The dealer is willing to come 10% off sticker of 36,267. That's around 32.6K. Heuberger's in Colorado Springs has two online available for 10.5%. There's a dealer not far from Orlando FL that is also about that much off (sorry, can't remember the name at the moment).

damn! that's crazy! however, the one I'm looking to buy is priced out at 38.5K so getting it for $35K is still a damn good price delivered.

If you want all out performance then there is no real decision - obviously STi.

However if you want a more refined, comfortable, roomier, well equipped sport sedan, that also offers respectable performance then go for the Spec B.

2 very different cars, just decide what you want.

Archived