LegacyGT.com

Attn Motorcycle Gurus

When I started riding motorcycles in 2000, my two choices were the Suzuki SV650, which I highly recommended in my earlier post, and the Kawasaki KLR650 dual sport. I ended up choosing the KLR650 because of its versatility, but I do miss the extra power of the SV650. The KLR650 is a great bike if you want to do some adventure touring. The 6 gallon gas tank is great. The aftermarket for it is huge. The major deficit is that it only makes like 45 crank hp and you have to be at least 5'9" to ride it (35 inch seat height). Other than that, I love it. It was such a difficult choice that I even considered getting both bikes. :lol:

klrrs.jpg.ff0ecbc956e49c9932dc4df28f4ec418.jpg

The 250 is Fine. Nearly perfect for first time rider. DO NOT BUY NEW...cuz you WILL drop the bike.
SOLD | '06 spec.B - VF52/AVO/740cc/Up/Down | 238awhp | 50-80mph 3.1 seconds.

I love when people hear about a person looking ot get into riding who wants to start small and learn the skills on a 250 and they immediately tell them they'll hate it and it's slow. That is ego talking. If you're already looking at 250's then buy a 250. If you want to be a competent rider and fast in the twisties where it counts that is 100% your best bet. You can then also afford all of your proper gear (thank god you want it).

To everyone suggesting larger more powerful bikes I understand why you are doing it and I've done the same, but in this case smaller is better. Considering the older 250's and their resale value (ride for a couple years and sell it for the same or more usually) I think that new 250 would be an awesome bike. It has as much hp as my modified DR350S dual sport which will do power wheelies all day long.

To the OP my hat is off to you for thinking with your brain rather than your ego. Remember motorcycle purchases are even more emotional than car purchases so you will get so many different opinions it's not even funny. To each their own.

My vote goes either to an SV650 or the YZF600.......NOT THE R6! You'll never insure it. I had an R6 and insurance was crazy. IMO, if you weight 200 pounds or more you might have a problem with a 250.

Either one of the above 600's mentioned have great ergo's, and plenty of power to keep you happy for a long time.

The 600RR, R6, ZX6R all have the "lay down on the tank" ergos, plus it was next to impossible to carry even the smallest of packages on my R6.

What seat height would be recommended for someone who is 5'9-5'10. I like the FZ6, but it just seems like it would be a bit too much juice to start out on.

It depends on your application. Cruisers typically will have seat heights in the mid to high 20s. Standards and sportbikes will be in the 30 to 32 range. Dual sports will be 33 to 37 inches. I wouldn't go over 35 inches. I'm the same height w/ relatively long legs (32 inseam) and I can almost touch both heels down flat on my 35-inch KLR 650, both are levitating about an inch off the ground. :lol:

I remember trying out a Honda Rebel 250 as a joke. I couldn't turn the handlebars without my elbows hitting my knees. :lol:

.NOT THE R6! You'll never insure it. I had an R6 and insurance was crazy.

oh come on.. there are many factors that play into insurance rates for bikes.

I pay $200 a year to insure my R6. That's full coverage not just liability.

^

The Suzuki SV650 was going to be my suggestion as well. It only weighs 363 lbs. dry, has a torquey and surprisingly powerful (73 hp at the wheel, probably more like 85 crank hp) V-twin, has better lateral weight distribution than 600 cc inline-4, offers a standard, not sportbike, riding position, and has been a popular "best bang for the buck" bike for years.

Great bike.

Don't forget the dignified cousin, the dual-sport DL650, AKA "Alpenkönig." Great commuter bike and dirt roads as well as the twisties. Really comfortable riding position. The motor is detuned from the SV650 to provide more torque at lower rpms.

It's very slow as motorcycles go - 0-60 in 4.2s, quarter in 13s at 101mph.

Might work for others and dual-sport bikes are a lot of fun. But for the OP's budget probably doesn't accomodate a $7,000 bike. A 250 would be a fine choice. Folks are buying the Ninja 250's because they can ride hard without risking their license, and they get over 80mpg on the highway.

weestromrs.jpg.0af8337a36599e6e7d15c5a73d6773fe.jpg

Who Dares Wins

スバル

oh come on.. there are many factors that play into insurance rates for bikes.

I pay $200 a year to insure my R6. That's full coverage not just liability.

I won't deny that your paying 200 bucks, seems too good to be true. But this is what I went through;

My driving record; 39 yo, no tickets, married, never had an accident. Been with Allstate since 1989 and never filed a claim.

Allstate black listed the bike and won't even insure it due to (exact quote) "the ultra high performance capabilities of the bike". Ok, FU Allstate and I went shopping. The best price I got was from bikeline, $900.00 a year full coverage, $500.00 deductible.

Shop, shop, shop before you buy the bike. We all know insurance varies from state to state, and by statistical data from your geographical location. I dont know where in Utah your located, but it must be rural to get a rate like that.....or your insurance company has little data with the R6.

I live in Salt Lake City. It doesn't get any less rural than that in this state. I've got State Farm and have my cars and house through them as well. I have a clean driving record and am 29 years old. I've got full coverage and a $250 deductible. State Farm seems to go by displacement over what type of bike it is because the Aprilia Shiver that I'm getting is a 750cc and will be more to insure even though it is not in the same game as the super sports.

Up here in British Columbia it doesn't matter what it is all that matters is displacement. 0-399 (I think), 400 to 749, 750 and over.

I think we're getting off topic here. First bike always go smaller because you can always upgrade. You may survie with a bigger faster bike but you won't learn as much as quickly.

I think he has some basic experience in riding a motorcycle. Dirt bikes were my thrill as a kid and much of the do's and don't s also apply to a street bike. I had a driving instructor who broke riding on the street into one simple theory. Everything around you is considered a "factor". Some riders can handle more factors than others. Example; wet roads are a factor, traffic, speed, the squirrill on the curb ready to run out in front of you, etc, etc. He said always try to keep factors at a minimum. If it is dark, and the road is wet, slow down because you have added factors. The one time I was not counting factors was when I crashed.:mad:

I personally think he should buy a "middleweight" bike. Tame enough to learn on, wild enough to have fun when he gets some mileage under his belt. My R6 was a 160 mph rocket, but it was also a sweatheart to cruise with too.

If you take the MSF course you'll have a chance to ride a 250cc bike for two days; I think you'll be uncomfortable, they're really short from grips to seat as well as low to the ground. You might be good for ten miles or so but I'd bet by the end of the first riding season you'll be ready for a bigger bike, especially if you ride in windy conditions, it's a very small bike. If you run on much gravel or bad pavement, consider the V-Strom, it comes as a 650cc. I love my R1200C but it is overkill for just around town.

For the record, I'd say dirt bike riding has barely ANY affect on one's street riding. Don't consider years on dirt bikes as even months on the street.

Agreed, for the most part. Dirt teaches you to shift and the odd little bit of do no panic. I got out of the dirt for almost 5 years and put over 35 thousand km on my streetbike in 3. Goign back to the dirt was very odd. I'm probably one of the few guys who has ripped sand dunes and hung a knee off going around a corner on the sand hahaha.

For the record, I'd say dirt bike riding has barely ANY affect on one's street riding. Don't consider years on dirt bikes as even months on the street.

I would disagree with your comment. I have been riding dirtbikes since i was 5 and i feel very comfortable when i ride my buddies street bike, i probably ride it better then him. I will admit it feels different, but no different then switching from a cruiser to a sport bike. All you have to do is transfer your focus points, on a dirtbike you are focusing on ruts and jumps and passing other riders, versus on a street bike you are watching others cars around you and monitoring road conditions.

I would say if you have alot of dirtbike expierence you would pick up riding a street bike real quick, once you get used to the new controls.

Just my 2 cents

You are talking about the technical aspect of motorcycle riding. I'm talking about 'Good, safe, street riding.'

:)

My dirt bike exprience kept me from panicing when I crashed. I was in a situation where the bike was going to "high side" me right off on to the pavement. I recovered and headed for the woods, which I believe saved me from alot of road rash. Plus my armor jacket and the $500.00 full face helmet get credit too.

Thank you God.

I have allstate too and my insurance for an 02 f4i, 03 600rr, and 07 zx6r were all a little over 200 every 6 months. I'm 22 now and bought my first bike when I was like 19 or 20. I'm not really sure why some older people with clean records have higher insurance rates. This is also for full insurance with a $50 deductible

maybe they take into account reaction time? younger person might be more quick to react in situations and save their skin than some of the older gents?

or just that younger ppl have a higher % survival rate from when they do crash

maybe they take into account reaction time? younger person might be more quick to react in situations and save their skin than some of the older gents?

or just that younger ppl have a higher % survival rate from when they do crash

True, I read somewhere that the majority of recent motorcycle deaths are from the 45yo + plus crowd that have bought their first bike ever.

Buell's are pretty nice for driving around town and screwing around on the weekend. The big v-twin is both the best part and biggest hinderance. It doesn't rev very high so it doesnt make the high HP numbers and may not have the highest top speed, but it makes ALL of its torque off the line, making it a great traffic riding bike.

Also, check out this thread at NASIOC.

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=976879

And for reference, this is my 2008 Buell XB12R, daily rider.

black_right.jpg.e0e21bedb94702b4bcbada3444fa36c2.jpg

Buell's are pretty nice for driving around town and screwing around on the weekend. The big v-twin is both the best part and biggest hinderance. It doesn't rev very high so it doesnt make the high HP numbers and may not have the highest top speed, but it makes ALL of its torque off the line, making it a great traffic riding bike.

Also, check out this thread at NASIOC.

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=976879

And for reference, this is my 2008 Buell XB12R, daily rider.

This is like my ZXR1100. Lots of torque but you don't have to rev the shit out of it to get it moving because of the large cc.

I'm probably the only person that has Wu-Tang Clan and Paul McCartney on their mp3.:p

Archived