LegacyGT.com

Headed to LA

Saul_Good

Hey all, i'm headed to SoCal for work (LA area) in a few months. Where's a good place to live w/2 dogs, a daughter and a wife? What do i need to do to my car to be "legal"? How hard is it to get a Cali license, etc, etc. Any info would be great thanks!

Welcome to the area. I work across the street from where you'll be;)

Whatever you do, don't live in Gardena, Lawndale, Del Aire, Hawethorne, Inglewood, Lennox....basically most areas immediately east of the 405 freeway. You may also want to look into Westchester, Mar Vista, Santa Monica, Rancho Park, Palms (parts of it), Culver City (parts of it).

If you're on base (I assume you're USAF) can't you get housing at Ft. Mac Arthur? I guess the downside there would be San Pedro schools for the kids. Otherwise the housing there is very new from what I understand.

How hard is it to get a Cali license

The license was easy, although if I remember correctly I would have had to taken a drivers test if I hadn't had one from Indiana recently before my move. All I had to do was take a written exam which was harder than what I thought, but still passed it first try.

Whatever you do, don't live in Gardena, Lawndale, Del Aire, Hawethorne, Inglewood, Lennox....basically most areas immediately east of the 405 freeway. You may also want to look into Westchester, Mar Vista, Santa Monica, Rancho Park, Palms (parts of it), Culver City (parts of it).

Hey ... i'm offended by that. I live right on the border of North Torrance/Gardena & that's not bad. + Places west of hte 405 in Hawthorne isnt too bad either.

Can't speak to where to live in the LA area, but word of advise, if you are not a Cali resident, keep your vehicle plates from whatever state you call home (which is allowed under Cali law). Lot less hassle than trying to register AND smog, which you'll have to do if you're bringing the car in from out-of-state.

SBT

- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

Subietonic's post reminded me of something. I bought a new Honda Element before my move and had to pay the difference in sales tax between Indiana and California (2.25% for me at the time) to get the Element's plates. I think if the car is less than 6 months old you'd have to do this as well. I had to smog it as well even though it was a 50 state legal vehicle. Just an FYI, not sure if it'll apply to you.

BTW - My post above only applies if you're relocating to California as a military member. I presumed, maybe incorrectly, that the USAF was transferring you here as an active-duty relocation. If that's not the case, then the ability to keep your home-of-record plates does not apply and you will have to go through the sometimes torturous Cali registration process. Even if you were "given" the car, they'll evaluate it for tax purposes and tax you accordingly. I'm not anxious to move at all.:rolleyes:

SBT

- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

BTW - My post above only applies if you're relocating to California as a military member. I presumed, maybe incorrectly, that the USAF was transferring you here as an active-duty relocation. If that's not the case, then the ability to keep your home-of-record plates does not apply and you will have to go through the sometimes torturous Cali registration process. Even if you were "given" the car, they'll evaluate it for tax purposes and tax you accordingly. I'm not anxious to move at all.:rolleyes:

SBT

Good stuff guys! I'll try to keep my out-of-state plates. Keep it comin, im writing this stuff down to make the transition as ez as possible for me and the family. Much appreciated.

Hey ... i'm offended by that. I live right on the border of North Torrance/Gardena & that's not bad. + Places west of hte 405 in Hawthorne isnt too bad either.

Its easier to generalize especially for someone who isn't familiar with the area;) I don't deny that parts of Gardena aren't nice.

Archived