LegacyGT.com

05 GT Ltd Wagon/Sedan differences

who

I am going to be getting an 05 gt limited automatic.

OTHER than personal preferences, are there any reasons to get a wagon over a sedan, and vice versa?

So far, I have observed this (comparing auto wagon to auto sedan):

1. The wagons cost a bit more

2. The wagon has a bit more headroom in front and back (which is good - i'm 6'4")

3. The wagon weighs approx 70lbs more than the sedan

4. The wagon is a bit longer

So far, other than personal preference, it looks like the sedan is going to win.

see: http://autos.msn.com/research/compare/exterior.aspx?c=0&n=3&i=0&ph1=t0&ph2=t0&tb=0&dt=0&v=t99032&v=t99033

Edit: fixed typos.

+1. Looks better for sure. The trunks are pretty small in the sedan, so if you have kids that sucks. That's why I got rid of my sedan and got a wagon. Could barely get a damn stroller in the trunk. The dual moonroofs in the wagon are excellent to have. It opens all the way to the back seat.

BTW, nice uber-rare color/tranny combo you got there dds. Looks hot from what I can see in the pic.

Err, wagon does not weigh 370 pounds more.

I know my unlimited wagon weighs in 3355 pounds according to Subaru, which is less than the limited sedan...by a whopping 10 pounds. :D

yeah, that was a typo. it is 70lbs, not 370lbs. i'll fix my post.

Thanks for the complement sexylegacy. In this SUV obsessed country of ours,it is good to see an occassional wagon. Especially a red one with spec b rims. I would love to get my hands on a true STI version of a Legacy wagon one day. I know it probably will never happen. At least not in this country.

Having driven a lot of the sedans, I think the front/rear weight balance favors the wagon. I certainly don't feel like I've lost anything, by going with a wagon and have gained a ton of storage space, more headroom as you mentioned, a freakin' huge sun/moonroof, room to toss a 16 cu/ft Yakima cargo box up on top AND a 17' sea kayak (at the same time), a rear 12v accessory outlet, a factory trailer hitch (for towing or a bike rack of course) and a better looking shape (IMHO).;)

Just call me partial to wagons. Especially ones that they only made for one USDM model year.

SBT

- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

Subietonic hit my feelings right on - as an LGT sedan owner coming from a 04 WRX wagon, I miss having a wagon. Much greater utility at very small expense of weight. When the sedan is paid off I'm going to look to switch to a wagon.
Kyle "BlackHole"

IME, the wagon is better F/R balanced (which I attribute to the extra weight at the rear), although praedet's power levels may make his "dance" a bit better. :lol:

Once you change out the RSB for a heavier unit (I installed the JDM 20mm one) this is one cornering beast. I'm just waiting to get the "wagon" Pinks to put on the SpecB Bilsteins and I'm likely done with any suspension improvements.

SBT

OK, I have to look for this. Where the hell is the 12V accessory outlet in the rear?

Left rear corner, behind a little cover/ flap.

Ask me how many times I've used it.... ya, none.:lol:

Seriously? Everytime we go camping the Coleman AC/DC cooler gets plugged in there. If it's really hot, and we're making a long trip, I can hook up a little 12V fan to mount up on the pet separator frame to blow cooler AC air down on/around my dog. I even use it for my spot light (with an extension of course) for night Monte Carlos, so I keep my front one free to run timing devices/laptops, etc. Great investment.

SBT

I don't have a sedan ;)

I know - I just wanted to rub it into the "Sedan Crew" a bit. But, it also why I posted up the link - so you'd know what/where I was talking about for your's...;)

SBT

Well I looked. Apparently that must be an option because I just have a little plastic cover where it should be. No outlet for me.:confused:

The outlet in the back was standard on Canadian wagons, I think. It wasn't even an option on USDM Legacy wagons, only on Outbacks.

OP - get the wagon. It's better. :) I think the body looks better than the sedan, of course tons more utility...and wagons are cool. I might be biased. ;)

I can throw my entire bike (bicycle) in the back without having to take off wheels or drop the seatpost...key selling feature for me. I'm also 6'4...so my bikes are BIG.

And when a car pulls up next to you at a light, thinking they can hit the gas and cut over in front of a measly wagon...they are surprised to learn otherwise. Only downside to wagon is if you mount a rear tower brace...it's kind of in the way.

Archived