LegacyGT.com

Searing your steak does NOT "Lock in Juices"

dmp

VERY refreshing piece on this blog:

Searing meats does NOT “Lock in juices” or somehow make the meats more “juicy” - in fact, seared meats actually have a bit less juice than those which haven’t been seared. We who cook like the added texture searing bring to the table and that’s the primary reason for doing it.

According to Cooks Illustrated:

Food scientist Harold McGee debunked this conventional wisdom in his book “On Food and Cooking” (1984) when he proved that meat loses the same amount of liquid whether it has been seared or not.

The real reason to sear meat is to obtain the best flavor by encouraging a process known as the Maillard reaction.

In the early 1900s, French chemist Louis-Camille Maillard became the first to describe the effects–and gastronomic benefits–of browning meat. When meat is exposed to direct heat, sugars react with proteins to release hundreds and hundreds of flavor compounds. These compounds combine, break down, and multiply, creating deliciously intense flavors and rich brown coloration.

http://www.winefoot.com/?p=119

SOLD | '06 spec.B - VF52/AVO/740cc/Up/Down | 238awhp | 50-80mph 3.1 seconds.

Alton Brown also came to this conclusion.

you didn't follow the link, did ya? :)

(Alton's episode was cited)

Sounds to me like we should be searing it anyway, so why post?

Sounds to me like you missed the point of the article anyway. so why post? The point was "stop spreading the lie about 'searing in juices'" :)

You should only be searing if you want what searing does to the meat. (shrug).

I understand debunking a myth if the myth itself has no benefit, but in this case, it still stands as good measure to sear meat. So whatever people want to believe for the reason to do it, who cares. It still tastes better.

Though just the same, it's an interesting article, and thanks for sharing. I'll continue to sear my steaks. ;)

Alton Brown also came to this conclusion.

Alton delivers!

there's actually another school of thought and that's low temp cooking. Keeping the meat below 192F is critical....that's the point where the collagen is broken down.

I would say that this is dependent on the cut of meat and the content of collagen. But when it does breakdown (if present in quantity) the rewards are great!

with beef, I'll sear in a cast iron skillet in some light oil, then put it on the grill on low heat, turning once.

with chicken, I get the grill up past 700F with all four burners going. I put it on for 30 seconds, get a nice sear, then flip it over on one side of the grill, turning the burners on that side down to the lowest setting, leaving the other side up higher to maintain 350F or so. Basically, this bakes the chicken. To serve, I flip the chicken over one last time to the hot side to get the crosshatching for presentation.

one thing with any meats....be sure to let them rest off heat for 3-5 minutes before cutting them. this lets the juices equally distribute. If you cut too soon, you lose it all onto the plate.

with beef, I'll sear in a cast iron skillet in some light oil, then put it on the grill on low heat, turning once.

with chicken, I get the grill up past 700F with all four burners going. I put it on for 30 seconds, get a nice sear, then flip it over on one side of the grill, turning the burners on that side down to the lowest setting, leaving the other side up higher to maintain 350F or so. Basically, this bakes the chicken. To serve, I flip the chicken over one last time to the hot side to get the crosshatching for presentation.

Nice method!

I learned this technique by watching Steven Raichlen one episode of BBQ U. 'Indirect grilling' I think he called it.:cool:

i do ok with steaks but am too inpatient with chicken. for chicken on the bone, i cheat and boil first (I know, it's sacrilege) and then grill with sauce. I'm too paranoid otherwise that i'm undercooking it. did some marinated breasts the other day, kept it low and slow for 10mins and it came out nice and juicy.

when it comes to burgers though, i really suck. almost consistently over cook them to medium well without intending to.

one thing with any meats....be sure to let them rest off heat for 3-5 minutes before cutting them. this lets the juices equally distribute. If you cut too soon, you lose it all onto the plate.

that is truly the key. they actually keep cooking a little after you take them out; i like to cover mine with something for these few minutes.

Archived