LegacyGT.com

PSA: Change your cabin air filter

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
more than once every 2.5 years....

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3108/2327510095_0ed66f02a8.jpg

:spin:

I just changed mine again and decided to go with the cut-your-own instead of the OEM filter this time. In this photo from Crash, that one is upside down, isn't it? On the side of the Filtrete sheet the cardboard has a flow arrow. I assume the cabin blower is sucking from the outside-in, so the flow of air is down from the top of the dash. That means the Filtrete should have the metal web on the down side, right?

I just changed mine again and decided to go with the cut-your-own instead of the OEM filter this time. In this photo from Crash, that one is upside down, isn't it? On the side of the Filtrete sheet the cardboard has a flow arrow. I assume the cabin blower is sucking from the outside-in, so the flow of air is down from the top of the dash. That means the Filtrete should have the metal web on the down side, right?

Yes, you are correct....

I noticed that and corrected it when I put the new one in....

Wow!!! Maybe that's why I've recently started to hear a slight "whine" whenever I turn on the fan for heat/AC - and no, it's not a grounding issue since I hear it when the radio is off (sounds just like that though).

• 2 weeks later...
more than once every 2.5 years....

:spin:

That's not bad, blow it out with some compressed air and you'll be good to go.............not. ;)

I'm surprised you couldn't smell the dirt blowing through your system. It looks like you were growing a tree in there. :lol: I think they recommend changing every 10,000 miles, but I go on smell.

I do have to say, the install instructions on here are weak, if you already have it installed. If you notice, the plastic part that holds it in is somewhat flexible. All you gotta do is remove the glove box parts and not bother with the center console removal. Takes about 10 minutes. The filter and the plastic there are flexible enough that they well fit in no problem. That being said, using the house air conditioning filter kicks a$$. Literally. You can get about 6 filters for about 1/6th the cost of one OEM Subaru filter.

• 3 weeks later...
need help bought a zero sports cabin air filter & the damm directions are in Japanese. I need to know if it has an air flow direction like most other filters have. not sure if this is the correct forum to post. working on laptop sitting in passenger seat with glove apart LOL.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I just changed mine. That was an INSANE amount of work to change a filter. I had 74k miles on the original filter, and it was quite clogged. I could tell it was bad by the sharp reduction in airflow - which is now almost overwhelming on the highest fan setting.

Good luck! It will smell better, and cool/heat better. Plus, it must do the fan some good.

Archived