LegacyGT.com

Official IPT 5EAT Fully Rebuilt Performance Transmission Review

hutru01

Specs

• Valve bodies are calibrated to provide firm, positive shifts
  • Extra forward, reverse and high clutches are installed
  • Modified OEM solenoid assembly is installed
  • Lube system is redesigned to prevent geartrain failure and to increase lube flow
  • Large apply area factory servo is installed to provide maximum band holding capacity (where applicable)
  • New one-way clutches/sprags are installed
  • High volume pump slide spring is installed (where applicable)
  • Planetary splines are heat treated to prevent stripping
  • Planetary pinion pins are welded to eliminate pin "walk-out"
  • Custom High-Stall Converter
  • Custom Modified Valve Body

Price: $5200

Review

Well after biting the bullet and investing in this modification, I have to say that I am 100% satisfied. I got it back a week ago and after speaking with John at IPT, he said for the first 200 miles to drive it at different rates of speed so that TCU could learn different driving styles. I fortunately had a 250 miles trip back to Northern VA because the transmission installation was done in Roanoke, VA at the Subaru dealership. After I got back to Northern VA, it felt better than a brand new car. The shifts are smooth and crisp with no slippage whatsoever. The reaction time for a downshift is impeccable. As most of you know, I am pushing an Deadbolt SZ55 turbo and this transmission can handle every bit of the turbo.

I don't even bother with the manual shift because my turbo spools so fast and I can't shift fast enough due to the delay in shifting using either the paddle shifters or the gear shifter. When in sport mode it revs up very fast and shifts right around 7000-7050 RPMs and the turbo remains spooled and it keeps pulling around 5000 RPMs in the next gear. 5th gear is absolutely ridiculous and I have yet to have enough room on the road to really see its potential. (Not to mention I have a healthy fear of how fast this car is now).

While this mod was very expensive, it is well worth it if you plan on pushing more than 350 whp. IPT states that this transmission is reliable for any application up to 500 whp.

I have yet to dyno my car but I plan on doing it in the spring. If I had to guess, I am around 400 whp. According to the deadbolt website, this turbo puts down 410 whp at 19 PSI on 93 gas with our 2.5 Liter engine. I max out at 20 PSI, according to my boost gauge.

I hope this helps the 5EAT people who are searching for a solution to our stock transmission.

curious: 5200 seems a bit low, is that because you had the vb already prior to the build? also, (if you don't mind me asking) what was the trauma for the install (in labor hours or cost)?

Subaru's bill was $700 for removal and installation.

Therefore the total was around $6000.

Great review; thanks.

It's nice to see some positive news after reading about blown 5EATs and VF40s far too often here.

If I'm not mistaken, it costs 6K to replace a stock 5EAT, this seems like a no-brainer.

^ Sounds like you should have done an IPT rebuild......

Are you planning on upgrading your turbo ever?

i'm on the fence. not cuz of tranny issues, but whether i want to go down this road again. my car is a weekend car and sometimes i question why waste the $ for a car i never drive. i usally think this to myself while in traffic :lol: but i will end up getting a 380 with W/I. i have a tranny cooler installed and a spare vb sitting in my garage waiting to be sent to IPT. oh, my tranny is fine. i just know the cost of a new one

^ oh I see.....well at least you know what to do if the tranny does go.....

It is a lot of money, trust me, I know, but now I totally reassured and it runs better than any automatic I have ever drove....

glad to see you're happy. now we just need some rear diff. options ;)

Great to hear man.......

So glad the car is back on the road.

Slap that meth kit on & 450+ whp will sure make you happy;):):):)

Surprising how quickly 4k-7k goes by isn't it, esp. in 3rd & 4th gear

Just remember........BE CAREFUL

Toyota 6EATS .........SUCK!!!!!!

Great to hear man.......

:lol: your avitar is a riot

Great to hear man.......

I hear ya. I really have been taking it easy (except for when passing or getting on the interstate :lol:)

This things sucks the gas when you are on boost. But on a road trip it will get close to 400 miles to the tank if you keep it in cruise around 65-70 mph. As for 3rd and 4th gear, it now red lines at like 7000 RPMs and the transition to 5th is amazing. It just keeps on pulling. Honestly, I don't have enough road to really push it to its capabilities. (Not to mention I don't want to risk losing my license)

hutru01 you've got 400+ WHP on an internally stock engine?

He sure does......

Iamboon has been @ 450+whp for over 6mo with no issues. S.S. makes sure the cars are running perfectly under all load conditions. As silly as it may sound to some the car is actually running a fairly conservative tune.

Toyota 6EATS .........SUCK!!!!!!

Archived