LegacyGT.com

There goes my steering... ???

f1anatic

Something that has not come on my radar on the forums.

Several times tonight (-9 C) i had trouble steering with the car at idle/low rpm. Happened at 730ish pm first time ever pulling out of street parking and subsequently repeated itself at several intersections when I tested it. It also repeated a few more times during the night. At this point it is not readily reproducible BUT the symptoms are: extremely heavy steering - both left and right, with chirping sounds (like tires screeching on asphalt when taking a corner very fast).

I lost power steering before on the minivan and looks like this is reminiscent of that. When that happened, it was the rack-n-pinion not the pump and it was on the left side (steering). This looks to be on both sides.

As I said not readily reproducible. About 2 weeks ago I did change the belt so maybe the power steering pump pulley wasn't very well "belt-driven". No fluid leakage.

What do you guys think ?

I'm guessing your power steering belt is slipping.

You done tinkered with it.

+ Belts sound chirpy or squealy when they slip.

+ Your steering feels heavy.

= Slipping belt, no pressure, no power steering.

I'm guessing your power steering belt is slipping.

You done tinkered with it.

+ Belts sound chirpy or squealy when they slip.

+ Your steering feels heavy.

= Slipping belt, no pressure, no power steering.

+1 ,presuming you checked the PS fluid. Also possible pump failure if you autox on tight courses.

"Belief does not make truth. Evidence makes truth. And belief does not make evidence."

Well the belt seems to be a little loose and I retightened it. We shall keep it under observation.

The fluid is above medium, below max, it is clean. Hopefully the retightening did the trick. I find it normal that all belts are somewhat tight when you first mount them and then loosen up a bit.

Archived