LegacyGT.com

Anyone with an OEM blown turbo please post!

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Invoice on my turbo replacement was just over 1200, at warranty labor rates. Seems like 1900 might be a tad high. Some folks on this thread have had luck getting SOA to agree to 50% coverage for out of warranty work. I would give it a shot.

Parts for the job, if they are new Subaru parts, are over 1200 alone. 1900 sounds about right.

• 3 weeks later...

Name: Dragoeth

Make: 2006 Legacy GT Limited (manual)

Mileage: 118800

Time Out Of Use: 2 weeks

Problem And Likely Cause: Turbo out (all I was told)

Modifications: Stock

Submitted For Warranty Work (Yes/No): Yes by dealership sort of

Reason Given For Denial (if applicable):

Your Story: I bought the car from a major dealership (bob rohrman in indiana) for 11900 (which I thought was a pretty good deal since I talked it down quite a bit). Car seemed perfect. Clutch was good, no bad history to show, no engine sounds, all fluids topped off except oil. Oil was dirty when I looked at the car first time (was regular not synthetic also..). Asked them to replace it. They said it had been changed 50 miles ago when they got the car (and there was a sticker saying so) but I showed them the oil and the guy agreed it was dirty and said it would be changed. Dont know how new oil can be dirty but whatever... Buy the car the next day and FIVE yes FIVE days later as im driving down the highway; loss of power, engine noise, and smoke out of exhaust. No engine light or anything. Towed it back to dealership and was told turbo was out. I checked the oil right there and noticed it ONCE AGAIN had not been changed. Bitched out a few people until I was told they would pay for towing, diagnostic, turbo, and labour. 100% free.

So now I'm waiting on it and 2 weeks later still waiting. I'm just worried because this is my first and only car and from what I've been reading im worried that the engine itself might be damaged from metal from the turbo. Hoping not because the dealership will probably just tell me tough luck and I'll be screwed since I'm a college student and dont have 3-6 grand for a new engine.

Name: Jesse Perry

Make: 2006 Subaru Legacy GT

Mileage: 62,000

Time Out Of Use: A couple days

Problem And Likely Cause: I went through 2 turbos on my wifes car only to find out the hard way that the filter inside the oil feed line was clogged. Replaced the bolt with the filter in it from Subaru and it was back on the road. Car shredded 2 turbos before I found the info on the oil feed line. Make sure you check this so you do not have to go through what I did.

Modifications: None - Stock

Submitted For Warranty Work (Yes/No): No

Reason Given For Denial (if applicable): Over warranty period

Your Story:

I went through 2 turbos on my wifes car only to find out the hard way that the filter inside the oil feed line was clogged. Replaced the bolt with the filter in it from Subaru and it was back on the road. Car shredded 2 turbos before I found the info on the oil feed line. Make sure you check this so you do not have to go through what I did.

We got rid of the car and got an Acura TL which at the time had 30,000 miles. Now it has 95,000 and no issues ever besides the battery. Hopefully this post helps someone else!

• 1 month later...

Name: Mason

Make: 2005 Subaru Legacy GT Limited

Mileage: 120,000

Time Out Of Use: 24hrs

Problem And Likely Cause: Banjo Filter

Modifications: None - AP, AVO CAI

Submitted For Warranty Work (Yes/No): No

Reason Given For Denial (if applicable): N/A

Your Story:

Car is now the wife's so don't drive it everyday. A couple days ago a boost noise started and would have no power. If you kept your foot in it the sound would go away like turning a light switch and then boost would instantly build. I figured not too big of a deal I will troubleshoot on my coming weekend. i Thought it was a boost leak of some sort and not a impending failure. 2 days later my wife calls me on her way home and says "I think you better drive the car, its making some bad noises." The previous noise that I had observed was no longer there and it was replaced with the dentist drill noise. No doubt in my mind the turbo was gone. Car had no CEL's at all.

I went straight to pulling the downpipe to check the play in the exhaust fan. There was definitely some play in the shaft but no chunks missing from any of the blades front or rear. I thought the shaft pay was enormous until I felt the new turbo which had some as well. Installed new turbo(first time)and upgraded(service bulletin) banjo bolt. Drained oil and found no chunks at all. Ran the Subaru flush and changed oil again, still no chunks in oil drained.

Once I got the new turbo running I couldn't believe how old and worn out the last one was. It was making all sorts of good whooshing noises again that I had completely forgot about. I think the old one was just tired. (I hope). I did not drop the pan as I didn't see any metal in the oil that was drained. Should I have dropped the pan?

When oil turn dark it means that it is doing its job.

Krzys

Well, yeah, but that depends on how fast. If you get lots blowby the oil will turn black fast (500 miles). Tight turbo EJ25 will hardly blacken good oil in 3k miles.

Many of these engines have cracked ringlands, burn oil, and get low on oil and shavings start flowing, clog the banjo filters. Kaboom, turbo dies and sends even more shavings into the oil system (via intake and oil drain). Viscous circle.

More likely a fouled injector or boost leak. The former almost always in my experience, the latter occasionally if, I've had the intercooler off for some reason.
- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

I see what you did there :lol:.

btw, is lumpy idle a potential sign of cracked ringlands?

:lol: :lol: Good one.

Yep, lumpy or more like "skippy" idle is a potential sign of cracked ringlands.

Dealers will of course tell you it's a Subaru boxer thing. In a way they are right...

My issue is the following: when not warmed up yet, especially in warmer weather, idle is somewhat low and a little erratic. With A/C on, it has stalled 2 or 3 times when off throttle. Most of the time, the idle stabilizer catches it, but not always.

Mods:

bnr16g

DW650 injectors (possibly the issue?)

walbro

LFR 7AIX plugs (msprank has said going one step colder sometimes causes bad idle??)

oem TMIC, gutted OEM UP/DP.

Tune by GST Motorsports. Runs up to 21 psi (per digboost20) in 4th, around 19 psi in 3rd and otherwise, generally runs well..

When car is fully warmed up, the idle is stable, but there does appear to be a "miss" once a second or so. No idea if this is normal (my first boxer), or not. Car pulls strong otherwise with no strange noises.

The key is oil consumption. If there is no noticeable consumption then the pistons are good.

The cracks can be so tiny, that they cannot be determined with compression and even leakdown test. Yet such engine will eat oil.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

No troublems at this point. 70k miles.

I had the banjo filter pulled a year ago. It was spotless.

OCI every 3750 mi. with 5w30 Penzoil. Stage II.

Presently adding (Edit)... a quarter quart between oc.

Second owner. First owner maintained the car meticulously. All records were given to me upon purchase (from dealer).

Still hoping to hear from folks who've had their turbo go *after* pulling the screen.

My Banjo screen was in place until the turbo blew (at 56k mi) but it was pristine clean on removal. My OCI was ~5k until the failure, but I do have a short commute. Nonetheless, there is certainly a design weakness here. And Subaru's responses to owner difficulties have been very very poor. Love the car ... can't say that for the company.

Peter

• 2 weeks later...

xposting here...

Just to submit another datapoint...

My '05 has 80k, and had an Invidia up when I got it. The rest had been put back to stock, but I assume it had been at least stage 2 for some of it's miles prior to me owning it.

Pulled the turbo last Friday & found about a 1/16 inch axial play, but no radial. no rubbing so far from what I can see.

While I didn't get diagnosis on my first turbo failure, my second one was caused by the pre-cat spitting piecesparts into the turbine. To my mind, putting a catatonic constipator upstream of a turbo charger makes no sense at all. I believe this was only done on '05/'06 Legacies and Baja's (please feel free to correct me if I'm wrong) and I suggest anyone who has one of these vehicles and has an unexplained failure (good maintenance and a clean banjo screen) take a look at the pre-cat.

Pics, and I measured the end play. Not as bad as I thought...

http://i140.photobucket.com/albums/r16/turkeylord/LGT%20Stage%203%20Upgrade/Old%20VF40/IMG_4833.jpg

http://i140.photobucket.com/albums/r16/turkeylord/LGT%20Stage%203%20Upgrade/Old%20VF40/OldTurbo014.jpg

http://i140.photobucket.com/albums/r16/turkeylord/LGT%20Stage%203%20Upgrade/Old%20VF40/OldTurbo001-1.jpg

Name: Don

Make: 05 OBXT

Mileage: 176,xxx kms

Time Out Of Use:

Problem And Likely Cause:

Modifications: turbo back exhaust, kstech intake; Cobb AP (OTS Stg 2); Sway bars, STS

Submitted For Warranty Work (Yes/No): No.

Reason Given For Denial (if applicable): N/A

Your Story:

DTC Code P0011 is middle of highway road trip late at night. Was unable to diagnose code at time, as my AP was at home. Continued on route towards home, heard a loud pop or chuffing sound from under hood; Loud grinding sound started, like a pop can in a clothes dryer.

Limped home, towed to dealer. Sound was definitely coming from turbo.

Service is slated for next week, and hopefully they will confirm the cause of failure.

I detailed the banjo bolt filter problem and they were aware of it, however, they were not convinced that there could be metal particles in the oil sump. They said it was not possible, as there is "a filter on the oil outflow of the turbo." I'm not convinved there is. Removing the oil pan for detailed sump inspection is not part of routine turbo replacement. I will ask about the oil cooler replacement next time we talk, as it seems there are reports of metal particles getting hung up in there.

Can anyone confirm the route that the oil particles take to arrive in the oil sump? Is it simply via the oil outflow from the turbo?

Don

Having removed and diassembled my old vf40 and replacing the oil return line, I have not seen this

"a filter on the oil outflow of the turbo."

they speak of.

If they are going to guaranty there work and stick to that statement, get it in writing and have them show you where they say that. Read the fine print.

If this job is not covered under warrenty, take the car to a good shop don't let the stealership touch your car.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

I'm going to sit down wit the tech that does thew work when I get back from xmas.

To me a filter on the outflow makes ZERO sense.

They warranty the part for 1 year, 20,000kms if they install it. I will ensure that I take it to them for oil changes to get the best documentation. I normally dow all my own maintenance work, but this will require some dedication to ensure I don't get screwed by some loophole. I'll save money by bringing my own synthetic oil.

Can anyone point me to a site where I can find a new oil cooler?

Pulled apart my old turbo, and it was indeed rubbing on the compressor cover!

http://i140.photobucket.com/albums/r16/turkeylord/LGT%20Stage%203%20Upgrade/Old%20VF40/OldTurbo022.jpg

Does this indicate a failed oil seal?

http://i140.photobucket.com/albums/r16/turkeylord/LGT%20Stage%203%20Upgrade/Old%20VF40/OldTurbo030-1.jpg

Full album: http://s140.photobucket.com/albums/r16/turkeylord/LGT%20Stage%203%20Upgrade/Old%20VF40/

Archived