LegacyGT.com

Anyone with an OEM blown turbo please post!

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

2005 Legacy GT, 37,000 miles, stock, turbo went 2 weeks ago driving on the highway. Spoke to my dealer today and he says there are none in the country and can't give me a date when the replacements are due.

Floating a Kia Rio as a rental right now. Sigh.

2005 Legacy GT, 37,000 miles, stock, turbo went 2 weeks ago driving on the highway. Spoke to my dealer today and he says there are none in the country and can't give me a date when the replacements are due.

Floating a Kia Rio as a rental right now. Sigh.

Hey,

You say stock with 37k miles!

WOW

62,000 miles STAGE 2

did the dealer give you any word on WHY the turbo failed so early?

Sounds like you are out of warranty with a 2005 model.

You should go with an AVO Turbo 380 from Rallitek.

Just make sure they figure out why it failed so it doesn't happen again.

I'm wondering if they will find a clogged banjo bolt filter.

My hope is the turbo is covered under the 5 year 60,000 mile drive train warranty, not the 3 year part.

No idea why it failed, I asked that question of the dealer today and they didn't know, maybe they haven't pulled the old turbo because there is no replacement part. I've been changing oil every 5,000, (after the first 3,000) which is what was originally recommended. Now the recommendation is 3750 and I missed that. Need to check into the forum more often, not just when I have a problem.

Thanks for the suggestion 2006Specb122, on the AVO Turbo 380 from Rallitek, I'll do a search, my hope is it's a bolt on for the Legacy GT.

To make things even harder, the car is Boston and I'm not. Bad time to take a road trip!

best of luck.

read the entire thread as there is is a lot of detail on why your turbo failed and what Subaru will say and then what you will then have to do to fight it.

I had to tow my car 150 miles home when my blew. $200 so far and I have not even take the car to the local dealer yet to begin the fun.

My hope is the turbo is covered under the 5 year 60,000 mile drive train warranty, not the 3 year part.

No idea why it failed, I asked that question of the dealer today and they didn't know, maybe they haven't pulled the old turbo because there is no replacement part. I've been changing oil every 5,000, (after the first 3,000) which is what was originally recommended. Now the recommendation is 3750 and I missed that. Need to check into the forum more often, not just when I have a problem.

Thanks for the suggestion 2006Specb122, on the AVO Turbo 380 from Rallitek, I'll do a search, my hope is it's a bolt on for the Legacy GT.

To make things even harder, the car is Boston and I'm not. Bad time to take a road trip!

If they can cover it... or you can fight with them to cover it then GREAT!

If they will not cover it or the part is 3 months out....

I would highly consider the AVO 380.

I plan on replacing it at some point....

either when I am forced to... (turbo gives up) or when I have tons of cash. :)

Whatever comes first....

They are supposed to be a direct swap and simple to install!!! :)

Very high quality!!!

Worse case you could get the car to a reputable performance shop in the area and have them do the new turbo install....

cheaper than dealer for sure!

Just make sure you find out why it failed.

If they can cover it... or you can fight with them to cover it then GREAT!

If they will not cover it or the part is 3 months out....

I would highly consider the AVO 380.

I plan on replacing it at some point....

either when I am forced to... (turbo gives up) or when I have tons of cash.

But, then the question arises for you (as it will for me): what about smogging the car? I'm new to CA, but based on what I've heard about how picky they are, I would think a non-OEM turbo would make you totally fail smog. Am I wrong?

I'm thinking of going VF-52 if/when mine fails, since it's a stock Subaru turbo, and should LOOK stock.. I hope.

Dealer told me car would be ready this Tuesday. They finally called me today saying it was ready for pickup. I did a lock-in since the service dept is completely closed on weekends. My total was just shy of $1300. I will scan the invoice if anyone cares since it is the squirreliest thing I have ever seen. The whole turbo replacement initially shows no charge for all the parts and labor. Then, I paid for a 2.5 hour/$314 oil cleaning and "sludged oil feed line", 2 hours/$178 for cleaning of the bank 1 cam sensor (someone chose to highlight this item) and then at the very bottom of the bill before subtotaling there is a $764 charge called "CUSTOMER PAY DEDUCTIBLE FOR LINE A" (line A being the turbo replacement).

A deductible? I think blackfang hit the nail on the head. This, along with my oil change records, and a letter will be going to SOA to plead my case on this and see if they agree with the way this was done. My short ride home from the shop was un-nerving since the interior and engine compartment was full of white smoke as the oil burned off everywhere. I took some photos of the car sitting in my driveway with smoke pouring out - would you guys consider that normal/acceptable?

Of course, they always slap a sticker on the bill, asking me to call them if I cannot grade them excellent when I get the Subaru dealer survey. Bah! :lol:

^ That's why i hate stealers. There are few good ones for sure (represented by fellow members here), but majority of them suck and deserve to go out of business.

Smoke burning all over is NOT normal. Even the monkey dealer that replaced shortblock on my car somehow managed to not spill oil all over the place.

Sadly I did and still do have the smoke problem since my turbo died and was replaced - still not sure why. It did get better when they (not stealer) replaced the oil return line for the turbo, but I am still getting oily smoke, even after 1500 miles.

And for those being told there are no VF40s in the country, have them replace it with a VF46 from the MY07 instead - surely they can't be out of stock too!! That's what I chose to do instead of putting another VF40 on there. It is a direct OEM bolt on with no modifications required and should meet all testing standards as far as I can tell.

Anyway, good luck to all, as I hope the smoke goes away sometime soon for mine...if not before then sometime during/after the 90,000 mile service next month!!

05 Outback XT Limited 47,000mi

Had to replace the turbo and short block. Subaru will not warranty it. Said the engine was low on oil which caused the #4 cyclinder rod to binde up which created metal flings in the oil which cloged the filter to the turbo which starved the turbo of oil.

Explain to me the difference in teh VF40 and VF46 turbo.

I have a 2006 so I have the VF40?

IS the new turbo better? bigger? create more power?

As for passing smog....

there is always a chance you get someone in a bad mood that will inspect and look for anything that doesn't look stock.

I think anything I do to the car should still pass the sniffer test.

I have a high flow cat.

Everything else is just "INSPECTION"

so if they want to look for something they might find it.

BUt who knows.. .maybe the AVO turbo is certified or has the numbered sticker that says it is 50 state legal.

I haven't asked....

I am no expert, but will try to answer your questions:

Yes you have a VF40. The VF40 is a twin-scroll whereas the VF46 'uses a five-arc scroll design to improve low and midrange performance over the previous VF40".

I can tell you from personal experience that I don't see much difference but the VF46 does seem to perform a little better. And because it was a direct bolt-on replacement, I think it was worth it for the hassle-free and essentially cost-free improvement.

Explain to me the difference in teh VF40 and VF46 turbo.

I have a 2006 so I have the VF40?

IS the new turbo better? bigger? create more power?

I am no expert, but will try to answer your questions:

Yes you have a VF40. The VF40 is a twin-scroll whereas the VF46 'uses a five-arc scroll design to improve low and midrange performance over the previous VF40".

I can tell you from personal experience that I don't see much difference but the VF46 does seem to perform a little better. And because it was a direct bolt-on replacement, I think it was worth it for the hassle-free and essentially cost-free improvement.

um... i might be wrong on this... but the vf40 is NOT a twin scroll...

i think the only twin scroll turbo that comes on a legacy is the legacy sti s402 in japan... i could be wrong though...

Told you I was no expert! I guess that'll teach me not to get my info from the internet ;). So apparently it's only the JDM VF40 that's twin-scroll...or is that information wrong too? Dammed interweb!!! :)

well there a jdm sti turbo thats twin scroll... but i dont believe its a vf40... the jdm legacy sti is twin scroll too i think... but i doubt thats a vf40 too... i think its vf37 is the jdm sti twin scroll turbo... and the vf42 is the jdm legacy sti s402 twin scroll... i could be wrong though... and there could be more....

See I knew I shouldn't have trusted nastysock :cool:

Several vendors here and on nasioc import JDM STi parts. No, the VF22 isn't twin scroll. Only the VF37 and VF40 (JDM Legacy turbo) are.

My understanding is that the VF36 is the JDM Spec C twinscroll turbo..These guys sell them

http://www.jdmpartstx.com

well there a jdm sti turbo thats twin scroll... but i dont believe its a vf40... the jdm legacy sti is twin scroll too i think... but i doubt thats a vf40 too... i think its vf37 is the jdm sti twin scroll turbo... and the vf42 is the jdm legacy sti s402 twin scroll... i could be wrong though... and there could be more....

Blown turbo at 85,xxx. Oh and the impeller broke off and damaged the cat in my downpipe. 2,000 just for those two parts. Someone shoot me.

My mom's Touareg had a coil pack go bad and so she drops it off at the dealership they replace it and go to drive it around. On there way driving around pieces of the Cat's are coming out of the exhaust.

This is all warranty so luckily she doesn't have to pay but the bill so far is $5000

• Mega Users
I would like to severely injure whoever came up with warranties. If people made products that didn't fail under normal use, we would have no need for such a waste of money. I had one, it's not doing me any good right now though.

Archived