LegacyGT.com

Stainless brake lines? Recommendations?...

Driver72

Who out there has changed their stock brake lines with stainless ones?

I'm a bit tired of the feel-less brakes on the stock LGT and

was almost mortified to find that after renting a Hyundai Sonata for

a couple weeks, it's brakes had FAR better feel, modulation and progressive

stopping than the stock LGT's.

I need to AT LEAST go with stainless steel lines, Motul 5000 fluid and maybe

better pads.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

If you really want to change the feel, change the brake booster. A great change for the Impreza was to switch out a single stage booster for the stock dual statge booster. I'd bet that a single stage booster would give you plenty of brake feel. If you want to get an Idea, just take off the vacuum line (be sure to plug it) leading to the booster and you will have manual brakes which will give you the chance to see what effect the booster is having on brake feel. BE careful with the manual brakes though :)

Yes, I've been told by Subie Specialties here in the LA area that they've fitted

Goodridge Stainless Steel Brake Lines to one LGT already.

And a member on this site has had his LGT fitted with the Goodridge lines. He likes them a lot. He also had them on his WRX.

I'm just wondering if anybody else makes them and if they are superior.

I'm still looking for pricing on the Goodridge lines too.

does goodrich make lines yet

Yes

are they the same lines that are on a 2000-2004?

No

$169.99

They are in stock and ready to ship:

http://www.mastrowrx.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=292

Here's an actual pic of the lines out of the box (Clear on the left, Carbo on the right):

http://www.mastrowrx.com/LEGACYLINES.jpg

These are genuine Goodridge hoses made for the 2005 Legacy GT and 2.5i models, they do not fit the Outbacks.

http://www.mastrowrx.com/ProductImages/goodridgebrakehosethumb.jpg

I've had them on my car for 3 months and love the way the brakes feel now, definitly better feedback and feel from the pedal.

Add 2 bottles of Motul fluid and your still under $200.00! :D

http://www.mastrowrx.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=237

Yes, I've been told by Subie Specialties here in the LA area that they've fitted

Goodridge Stainless Steel Brake Lines to one LGT already.

And a member on this site has had his LGT fitted with the Goodridge lines. He likes them a lot. He also had them on his WRX.

I'm just wondering if anybody else makes them and if they are superior.

That's me, they installed the Goodridge SS brakelines on my wagon, got the brakelines from Mastrowrx.com. You should come to the meet again and try it for your self.

i have the cobb linrs on and i'm very happy. just had to do a little modification to the stock rear clips because the hose ends did not fit through............ but overall an a + for braking improvement...... much stiffer pedal feel and to be quite honest i driven my local dealers demo 04 sti several time i think these lines make the brakes feel better than that brembo kit!!!!!!!!!!1

i have the cobb linrs on and i'm very happy. just had to do a little modification to the stock rear clips because the hose ends did not fit through............ but overall an a + for braking improvement...... much stiffer pedal feel and to be quite honest i driven my local dealers demo 04 sti several time i think these lines make the brakes feel better than that brembo kit!!!!!!!!!!1

Approximately how long did it take you to perform your install of the Cobb brake lines? I'm trying to figure out if this is something I can easily do myself. Thanks.

lisn2me2,

Do you plan on getting the Cobb brake pads & blue fluid again in the future, or does the upgrade to the SS lines make such a big difference without those, that you aren't even considering it?

i'll tell ya, the lines made a huge difference by themselves. i will do the pads when im due for my first pad change.......... and fluid maybe at around my 60000 mile service

certainly no rush at this time. im confident enough braking now to save my $$$$$ for perrin TMIC

I had the Cobb/Stoptech Stainless Brake Lines on my 97 Leg GT, I was very impressed with the quality of them and more importantly how much better they felt as far as pedal feel, no comparison between stock and those! Cobb is one of the least expensive Stoptech Line dealers as it is. I had good luck with them on my last car and will use them again.

Cobb pads, well if they use the same as old, they are semi-metallic, they will squeel, they will dust well, but they bite! I'm probably going to go with Carbotech Bobcats when I'm due for pad replacement. I don't know anyone who has used them offhand, but from the looks of things, likely sound like the best option. Low dusting, noise, good bite.

What about good pad bite in all temperature conditions?

Some of the aftermarket pads I've had were SCARY in temps below 50 degrees... step on them and nothing happens for like a second or so. Needless to say, the stockers went back on...

I didn't really notice that negative results in freezing conditions with the Cobb pads, at least that I rememeber, and that doesn't mean they still use the same vendor either. I was impressed by the performance of the pads, just not the noise and dusting and for just around-town driving nearly all the time, that was a pain.

Archived