LegacyGT.com

clearing head lights

inycxkid

im not the biggest fans on working on cars but recently have seen people clearing their head lights and it looks great. Was wondering if anyone in the area can actually help me do my lights because im really scared to mess it up when it comes to my car :lol: thanks.

I would say get a second set of headlights and do it. Also if you get pulled over and ticketed for it. You would only have to swap the stock ones in and have the police check it. Then just swap the cleared ones back in.

I would say get a second set of headlights and do it. Also if you get pulled over and ticketed for it. You would only have to swap the stock ones in and have the police check it. Then just swap the cleared ones back in.

this aint PA. We don't have those problems around here :lol:

Seriously though, the cops arent concerned with it & I dont think they even notice.

inycxkid, trust the walkthrough. It's alot scarier than it looks. I've done like 3-4 sets of em. It's not that hard & it does look sweet.

"Barack Obama, mothaf#%@a! Barack Obama! I'm the president...of hittin' the ass!" -this is not a political view it's merely a quote from a hilarious tv show.

this aint PA. We don't have those problems around here :lol:

Seriously though, the cops arent concerned with it & I dont think they even notice.

inycxkid, trust the walkthrough. It's alot scarier than it looks. I've done like 3-4 sets of em. It's not that hard & it does look sweet.

that is good to hear. Yeah it is really easy to do. Like anything else just take your time with it.

• 11 months later...
just did mine this weekend, some guys have diffferent temps, all i have to say is i followed one guys post 280 for 8 minutes, and totally warped my housings. So, i did them for 180 for ten minutes. came off fine. hats off to the guy who posted 280 for 8 mins, my warped lights thank you

hats off to the guy who posted 280 for 8 mins, my warped lights thank you

then you did something wrong b/c that's how I & others have done many sets of them

"Barack Obama, mothaf#%@a! Barack Obama! I'm the president...of hittin' the ass!" -this is not a political view it's merely a quote from a hilarious tv show.

maybe he had the oven on convection :lol:

:lol::lol: or maybe he just likes to "set it & forget it" :lol: I dunno why someone wouldn't keep an eye on things to make sure they weren't melting their headlights :iam:

then you did something wrong b/c that's how I & others have done many sets of them

an oven is a pretty simple device, its on bake or broil. i put it on bake, 285, 8 mins. there is no reason to have the temp so high, all that does is shorten the time it takes to soften the sealant. you might as well turn it down and be on the safe side. i know for a fact that those wires and plugs arent designed for 285 degree temps. it breaks down the insulation, and makes it more brittle in the future. none of my clips on either of the lights fit right due to tha fact that the plastic is so thin, it just warped. but dont take my word for it, bake yourselves a pair of $300 plastic cookies

Guest adam07specB
me and a bunch of local CT subaru guys are going to be having a "clearing/blacking party" you are more then welcome to make the trip

an oven is a pretty simple device, its on bake or broil. i put it on bake, 285, 8 mins. there is no reason to have the temp so high, all that does is shorten the time it takes to soften the sealant. you might as well turn it down and be on the safe side. i know for a fact that those wires and plugs arent designed for 285 degree temps. it breaks down the insulation, and makes it more brittle in the future. none of my clips on either of the lights fit right due to tha fact that the plastic is so thin, it just warped. but dont take my word for it, bake yourselves a pair of $300 plastic cookies

dude, you're supposed to take all the wires & bulbs & everything out ya know?

but dont take my word for it, bake yourselves a pair of $300 plastic cookie

I won't take your word for it because I've done numerous sets with no issues doing 280 for 7-8 mins. That's your own fault for not checking em.

must be because nobody else had a problem.

Maybe your oven thermometer is broken or something.

Guest heightsgtltd

Yeah, hate to break the news, but not everyone's oven is calibrated exactly to other ovens :lol:

That being said, I haven't heard anyone else having issues with these directions :spin:

Archived