LegacyGT.com

Staggered fitment on Legacys?

canadalgt

Subaru recommends frequent tire rotations to prevent abnormal wear on the diffs. Even small wear difference may affect this. Adding spacers to the front sounds like it would alter steering geometry, camber change, "ackerman" centering - - -untested waters for the armchair engineer. Where's my Paul van Valkenburg book when I need it?

No one has suggested spacers for the front. I am well aware of how suspension geometry would be altered. This discussion is about adding spacers to the REAR wheels. While there would certainly be some geometry changes, they would be very minor and imperceptible.

Patagonian GT:You know what this means; STi pinks are calling out your name loud and clear!!! :)

I know, I know. One thing at a time though. I am already in the doghouse a bit......bought a motorcycle, car, two sets of wheels, STI spoiler, Cobb AP, sway bar, endlinks, new grille, all in the last 90 days.

It's not what you think.....I just need to spend some money and order parts for the (newly engaged to last Friday) fiance's car....an '05 MINI Cooper S convertible. I owe her a Dinan airbox, Milltek exhaust and supercharger pulley. Man, that thing will be as fast as a stock LGT (210 HP with 6sp).

I am concerned about ride height with pinks and stock struts......I have about an inch of clearance now with the STI lip spoiler. How can I lower the car if I scrape the spoiler getting into the driveway?? Sounds like the Spec B struts/top hats + pinks are the ticket from Opie's review (ride higher than sotck USDM struts and pinks).......

We are WAY off the topic of this post now.....sorry.

;)

No one has suggested spacers for the front. I am well aware of how suspension geometry would be altered. This discussion is about adding spacers to the REAR wheels. While there would certainly be some geometry changes, they would be very minor and imperceptible.

Spacers won't move the fronts inward, which was the main issue with the start of this post. They will do the opposite.

I think what Deer killer, myself, and others have wondered about, is if a set of wheels with slightly more offset (will tuck in the front tires, like you want)

and a set of spacers for the rear wheels (re-compensating and reducing offset to what you have now, or even a little less, on the rear only) would fill out the rear fenders a bit better, and widen the rear track a tad bit, which might be nice with very high offset wheels (50+ mm)

And, how would that change handling. Might really need that 20mm rear sway bar, then. who knows... Who's gonna try it first? :D

Sorry to have to keep re-stating this, and y'all have likely already gotten the point...

Thanks again for all the responses.

I think my solution is to first lower the GT and see if the "effect" of the front wheels sticking out goes away. If that is not the solution, then spacers for the rear should do the trick. Does anyone know where I may find spacers?

Patagonian: Congrats on the engagement, sounds like you have found a perfect match who is into our bad habit of fast rides also!!! :)

I would like to see the stock tires sizes off of a 2000 porsche 911C4S on a LGT. They were 225/40-18 Front and 265/35-18 Rear. I have seen several M3's with deep dish rear wheels and this type of setup. BADASS

Assuming you could fit those under the fenders, on wheels that would also fit with different backspacing, and assuming the same brand and model tire, in the two different sizes,

225*.40 = 90mm

265*.35 = 92.75mm

That is the difference in sidewall height, and the difference in diameter of 2.75 mm front to rear. that may not be within spec, since even a low tire, or a tire that is more worn can upset the AWD system I am sure that is a difference of less than 2.75 mm.

On the other hand, 255/35 tires have a sidewall measurement of 89.25mm, less than a milimeter shorter. Air pressure could probably make up that difference.

just math for thought. plus then the front and rear wheels would be different weights, as well.

The Bimmer doesn't have the hurdle of AWD to overcome, so the tires don't have to be the same diameter or weight front to rear.

Archived