LegacyGT.com

Subaru New Dual Clutch Transmission On The Way

Kaycy

At last Subaru have confirmed that they are working on a dual-clutch auto transmission(or double clutch as stated), one like the VW DSG or M3 DCT.

Chief engineer for STI Hiroshi (Australia) Mori confirmed the plan in Tasmania but declined to reveal any more news about the transmission.

(Source: Drive)

Finally they realise their transmissions are not good enough. My car is at the dealer for the second time in a week because of transmission problems.http://legacygt.com/forums/images/icons/icon9.gif

It's meant for the STI WRX, so I guess it's coming to the US.

I hope this means they will improve their other transmissions which cannot handle the AWD system and engine torque. The diesel engine would most likely reduce the life span of the current transmissions.

It's meant for the STI WRX, so I guess it's coming to the US.

I hope this means they will improve their other transmissions which cannot handle the AWD system and engine torque. The diesel engine would most likely reduce the life span of the current transmissions.

Which transmission cannot handle the AWD and the torque? :confused:

403/365 whp/wtq for 13K miles with a VB mod and no issues yet.

345/300 whp/wtq for the previous 16k, all but 4k without the vb mod

305/285 whp/wtz for the previous 6K, bone stock.

Is the 5EAT great? Of course not. Could it be better? of course. Are they all blowing up at stage 2 levels? nope. Are they all blowing up when upgraded past? nope either. Do I have a backup plan in case mine does die? yeah

Mike

SoCal Duck Hunters Club - Unit 52

403/365 whp/wtq for 13K miles with a VB mod and no issues yet.

345/300 whp/wtq for the previous 16k, all but 4k without the vb mod

305/285 whp/wtz for the previous 6K, bone stock.

Is the 5EAT great? Of course not. Could it be better? of course. Are they all blowing up at stage 2 levels? nope. Are they all blowing up when upgraded past? nope either. Do I have a backup plan in case mine does die? yeah

Mike

mike, i thought yours blew on the dyno? i remember boostjunkie posting about a 400whp 5eat grenading on the dyno. i thought it was you.

At last Subaru have confirmed that they are working on a dual-clutch auto transmission(or double clutch as stated), one like the VW DSG or M3 DCT.

Chief engineer for STI Hiroshi (Australia) Mori confirmed the plan in Tasmania but declined to reveal any more news about the transmission.

(Source: Drive)

Finally they realise their transmissions are not good enough. My car is at the dealer for the second time in a week because of transmission problems.http://legacygt.com/forums/images/icons/icon9.gif

They need to make a similar offering to what the new EVO X will have. That's why they're going that route. It's reactionary.

mike, i thought yours blew on the dyno? i remember boostjunkie posting about a 400whp 5eat grenading on the dyno. i thought it was you.

Umm... considering Boostjunkie is a pretty darn good friend of mine... No, I don't recall him posting that about a 5eat nor was it my car if he did post that.

Mike

SoCal Duck Hunters Club - Unit 52

Umm... considering Boostjunkie is a pretty darn good friend of mine... No, I don't recall him posting that about a 5eat nor was it my car if he did post that.

Mike

i remember it was some1 that was going for 400whp and no 1 had heard from in a while. then it was posted that the tranny blew on the dyno and they were getting an IPT tranny built. it doesn't matter any way

Which transmission cannot handle the AWD and the torque? :confused:

The one I have, which is a 6MT. Transmissions are Subaru's pain in the neck, they are the company's weak point according to my own view.

The one I have, which is a 6MT. Transmissions are Subaru's pain in the neck, they are the company's weak point according to my own view.

6mt is considered to be a very strong box. :confused:

6mt is considered to be a very strong box. :confused:

Then I wouldn't have problems with it, would I?:rolleyes:

It's very notchy. It is suitable for high speed changes or very fast acceleration. It's difficult to predict what's coming next when you change gear believe it or not.

Subaru itself find it hard to diagnose the problems once it's broken or making whinning and squealing noises. Some people experience these noises when the car is cold, i experience them when it's hot.

Then I wouldn't have problems with it, would I?:rolleyes:

It's very notchy. It is suitable for high speed changes or very fast acceleration. It's difficult to predict what's coming next when you change gear believe it or not.

Subaru itself find it hard to diagnose the problems once it's broken or making whinning and squealing noises. Some people experience these noises when the car is cold, i experience them when it's hot.

Easy. Your problems do not make all 6 MT boxes crap. Complaints about these boxes are rare. They might be notchy although one I drove was uber nice and precise, unlike my notchy 5 MT.

And this comment...

I hope this means they will improve their other transmissions which cannot handle the AWD system and engine torque.

...is quite a rubbish. Modified STIs transmission hold a lot of power and torque way more than stock LGT or STI. Unlike 5MT they do not break easily unless abused. Well, even our 5 MT is a decent box strength wise - formerly used on pre-6MT STI.

...is quite a rubbish. Modified STIs transmission hold a lot of power and torque way more than stock LGT or STI. Unlike 5MT they do not break easily unless abused. Well, even our 5 MT is a decent box strength wise - formerly used on pre-6MT STI.

Do they fit modified STi transmissions to Diesel engines? Think and try to understand before you comment. "other transmissions" means other transmissions which break now and then, you mentioned the 5MT yourself.

My 6MT has caused me headaches and that's one thing you cannot take away from me and I'm entitled to my opinion. If it was very good, why would they want to replace it? All I'm saying is a new transmission is good new because of problems with the Subaru transmissions, STi or not.

Do they fit modified STi transmissions to Diesel engines? Think and try to understand before you comment. "other transmissions" means other transmissions which break now and then, you mentioned the 5MT yourself.

My 6MT has caused me headaches and that's one thing you cannot take away from me and I'm entitled to my opinion. If it was very good, why would they want to replace it? All I'm saying is a new transmission is good new because of problems with the Subaru transmissions, STi or not.

:rolleyes: You had a problem with your transmission, it does mean all of them are crap. It's fairly simple concept. If you had problems with the engine, you would have also said Subaru engines are crap? :rolleyes:

Diesel requires different gearing. They had to spec new gear ratios anyway. They went with 5MT probably due to cost savings. This actually shows that the 5MT is strong enough even for a diesel. I'd wager it's the same design like our 5MT just different gears.

Archived