LegacyGT.com

Finally got a ticket in the LGT...

ERLoft

...on my way up to Snow Summit yesterday, got nailed by CHP at the top of the first passing lane on the 18.

I'd moved over to pass a couple of cars, and there was one more ahead, but a ways up that I was trying to decide if I should punch it or wait when my detector went off. Damn instant on radar. Of course, had there been more cars up ahead, that would have helped too.

The officer was pretty damn cool. He said he clocked me at 86 in a 55, to which I replied that I had moved into the passing lane to pass a couple of slower cars and hadn't noticed my speed. He also had me roll my window up a but (front tint) and then lower it back down. After the normal waiting period, he came back with a single violation for 70 in a 55. No tint fix it, no front plate ticket, etc. Said he was giving me a hell of a break, and that any higher and I wouldn't qualify for traffic school.

So, I had been thinking to fight it via trial by written declaration, but since he wrote me up for far less than he could of, I'm kinda thinking to pay the fine and do traffic school...

Oh well, at least snowboarding in the sun was great! And, amazingly enough, I filled up in Redlands, then averaged over 29mpg on the drive back to San Diego. Including some bumper to bumper stuff in Corona and around 80 whenever the conditions were okay for it.

2013 S4 - Glacier White - DSG - B&O - Tech Package - Sports Diff - Napa - RS4 Grille - Stasis Exhaust - APR Intake - KW Variant 1 - Stern Control Arms - CR-15 - Stasis RSB - Moog Endlinks - PC Hyper Black Peelers - Deval Front Lip - ECS Rear Diffuser - Carbon Imports Ducktail - ECS Mirror Caps - Relak Paddle Extensions - Autostyle Floor Mats - LED Interior - V1 - Blackvue DR900s -

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I'd still do the trial by written declaration. You might get lucky, the cop might cut you even more of a break by not even bothering with sending in paper work. And then if that fails and use the trial de nuvo or whatever it is. Usually when you see a judge they're willing to grant you traffic school.

-Bert

^ I don't think they write "I gave you a break" on the ticket. If it shows up as 70 in a 55 on a ticket...sure go ahead and do the trial by written declaration...just costs you some time in mailing things and stuff. You may get lucky and the cop doesn't send the paper work in which means you pay nothing. If all else fails, you can still just take traffic school.

ticketassassin.com

So, I had been thinking to fight it via trial by written declaration, but since he wrote me up for far less than he could of, I'm kinda thinking to pay the fine and do traffic school...

Hey man that written by declaration sucks. I just did that with a red light camera ticket. I pleaded my case and they still found me guilty.. bastards.. I also got a speeding ticket for $150 thats due soon so i need to find out from my insurance company which ticket will cost more on my insurance.. and do traffic school for that one.. I've severely changed my highway and city driving habits. Now stopping on yellows and not going over 75 on the highway..

Hey man that written by declaration sucks. I just did that with a red light camera ticket. I pleaded my case and they still found me guilty.. bastards.. I also got a speeding ticket for $150 thats due soon so i need to find out from my insurance company which ticket will cost more on my insurance.. and do traffic school for that one.. I've severely changed my highway and city driving habits. Now stopping on yellows and not going over 75 on the highway..

Uhhh... you were trying to beat a red light ticket (where no cop is involved). That's the reason why it didn't work out too well for you. The thing with the red light cameras is that they're the witness. You try and fight it, probably some underpaid very bitter, paper pushing, mail jockey is presenting the case of the red light camera. plus a 300+ red light camera ticket brings in more money than a 150 dollar speeding ticket.

I got a ticket Sunday ... first time in the legacy as well.

Going Westbound on the 60 doing 'bout 80 w/the flow of traffic. About to hit the 15, i had to get down to the 91 ... when some car is like ON MY ASS. Like literally he was in my backseat ... so i'm like **** that ... i merge right two lanes so that he's not on my ass and i'm about to get on the 15 anyway.

What do you a Riverside County Sheriff SUV is in front of me ... i'm thinkin to myself ... Cool maybe he can nap that guy who was behind me. I see him move left and i go ahead of him ... he gets behind me and turns on his lights. I'm like wtf? So he pulls me over and writes me a ticket cuz he said he was going 80mph and i was catching up to him ... well DUH i speed up and moved over 2 lanes to avoid the tailgater! I told the cop that & he was like well i didnt see him, but i did see you weave through traffic.

On the ticket he writes 80+ ... in a 65zone.

LAME

I got a ticket Sunday ... first time in the legacy as well.

Going Westbound on the 60 doing 'bout 80 w/the flow of traffic. About to hit the 15, i had to get down to the 91 ... when some car is like ON MY ASS. Like literally he was in my backseat ... so i'm like **** that ... i merge right two lanes so that he's not on my ass and i'm about to get on the 15 anyway.

What do you a Riverside County Sheriff SUV is in front of me ... i'm thinkin to myself ... Cool maybe he can nap that guy who was behind me. I see him move left and i go ahead of him ... he gets behind me and turns on his lights. I'm like wtf? So he pulls me over and writes me a ticket cuz he said he was going 80mph and i was catching up to him ... well DUH i speed up and moved over 2 lanes to avoid the tailgater! I told the cop that & he was like well i didnt see him, but i did see you weave through traffic.

On the ticket he writes 80+ ... in a 65zone.

LAME

What about slowing down to make a tailgater go around you?

Fight it, fight it by mail first.

My wife got a ticket in Tahoe while we were visiting for our pre-honeymoon trip. The trooper wasnt very nice (rude), and seemed to make a point for some reason that we were from out of town. We were driving in a manner safe and reasonable for conditions, and he gave us no opportunity to state why we were going over the posted limit, which by the way is perfectly legal.

For the Sheriff to state on the ticket alone the you were doing 80+, and that he estimated your speed from in front by "how fast" you caught up to him means nothing. Unless he's trained specifically to calculate your speed in that manner (from in front) then he is operating outside of the law, and the citation is not valid. Honestly. Unless conditions were unsafe, careless driving, low visibility, ice on the roads or children crossing, you are not guilty of breaking the law.

I promise I am not bullshitting here. I understand law enforcement agencies are there to serve and protect, and I do appreciate that, but when they arbitrarilly start stepping outside of these boundaries, it's our responsibilities as citizens to stand up for our rights.

Check out www.TicketAssassin.com. Lots of good info there for how to handle this case, and future traffic involved run-ins with the law.

One more soapbox stand here. Traffic citiations like these are the only instances in our courts where we neither have a right to trial by jury, or free representation if you can't afford it. They get away with this by calling these citations infractions. I know some would argue, why should we "clog" up real court procedings with speeding tickets and such, but my response to that is that they should be only be enforcing the law the way it is written, not the way they interperet it. If they did that there would be many less traffic citations written in the first place. And, really we all know most of these are about creating revenue in the first place. Like red light cameras. These are installed to reduce red light runners and protect people, but we have all witnessed "law abiding" citizens panic at these reds and slam on their brakes, creating more instances of possible collisions. Where is the protection part of law enforcement here? If they were really concerned with enforcing the law they wouldnt stalk patrons of clubs who are leaving the establishments, obviously intoxicated, and wait for them to get in their cars and turn the keys, getting them for dui, which have very high fines, when they could have stopped them before entering their cars for public intox.

/soapbox

Laurence

Archived