LegacyGT.com

WRX Hatch Test Drive

Slow friday at work leads to a lunch time visit to local subaru dealership.

Sat in the STI at th showroom and test drove the new WRX Hatch 5MT

Impressions

-Love the gauge cluster, simple and efficient.

-Love the seats, amazingly supportive (dont like the fact they arent auto adjustable but i found a perfect position with the manual levers very quickly)

-The cost cutting is evident with all the inside door panels and the rest of the dash. Radio, HVAC ports all seemed cheaper and plasticky than the outgoing model

-Rear seat room was impressive, more leg room than the LGT i thought but i could be mistaken.

The drive:

- only a shift to 2 is required to get this to 60...freakin awesome.

-Notchy transmission as usual, soft clutch will be nice on the left foot.

-compact = taut and handles well.

-QUIET QUIET QUIET....in a good way

-plenty of power. With stage 2 this thing will be a beast.

Cant wait to go to another dealer next week to do this again and focus in on the handling some more. Also i'm gonna go drive the 135i next week :)

Plz add your observations/experience of your test drives to this.

I drove a wrx hatch a few months ago and liked it. It felt much like the LGT to me. The interior materials "look" like the LGT, but don't have the soft touch feel the LGT has on the dash and door panels.

I also drove a new STI a few weeks ago and that car is awesome. I'm not really digging the looks of the wrx, but the fender flares of the STI completely change the look of the car.

no customers on a friday afternoon around here. most dealerships close early to give their crew some time with family before a busy saturday the next day.

Also its not wasting time, i can be swayed to change cars for the right car. 135,335,evo,sti are all contenders and deserve an obligatory test drive or two.

I drove a wrx hatch a few months ago and liked it. It felt much like the LGT to me. The interior materials "look" like the LGT, but don't have the soft touch feel the LGT has on the dash and door panels.

I also drove a new STI a few weeks ago and that car is awesome. I'm not really digging the looks of the wrx, but the fender flares of the STI completely change the look of the car.

when I took out a WRX hatch last summer, it did feel a lot like driving the LGT. very smooth imo. It wasn't bad at all, kinda nice.

I have yet to test drive the new STI hatch since we are not allowed test drives (until I order mine next month). Plus, snow and ice on the ground make the RE50's not so good... :( Waiting til April to go and drive the new X as well. Not sure if the BMW dealer has the 135xi in yet, may have to check it out.

as for wasting the salesman's time? a good salesman is worth the time because you may go back and buy from that person or send them a referral. There are several car salesman that I have gone and test driven cars, though they did not sell me a car THAT day, or even that particular car ever, I went back to them later to purchase or sent someone their way. It's hard to find a good car salesman these days, one who's experienced and knows what they are doing, cares about it and plans to be there for a long time. When I do find one, I try and send them business to help them out.

Wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle yeah!!!

Why would you give a shit about sales weasels?

They are people too, just trying to make a living.

And not all of them are bad, just like cops ;)

OP,

If you are seriously looking at buying another car that is fine.

But, if you're just kicking tires because you are bored you're wasting other peoples time.

Need forum help? Private Message legGTLT

Consdering how dealers don't seem to want to be bothered when I go in to dealerships, (I usually end up asking for help if I want something, after waiting a good long time) I wouldn't sweat it so bad.

I went into an infiniti dealership the other day, just to get a glossy G37 brochure. The place was a GHOST TOWN.

Seriously. Lights were on, elevator music, the whole works. THERE WAS NO ONE ANYWHERE. No attendant/secretary, no salespeople, NOBODY. I am not exaggerating. I pulled up, parked dead front and center, left the car running while I looked at a G37 on the apron, and went in and looked around for the brochure rack, went back out, looked a bit more, and casually left. NOBODY.

I could have found the keys, stolen one of the cars, and nobody would have noticed me leave, it was that dead. I wouldn't but that is just an illustration.

So I don't buy it that sales people are that hectically busy that the can't give an enthusiast a little bit of time.

The WRX is so boring to look at but the STi really looks nice. Seeing them side by side at the philly car show really illustrated the difference in look. The STi look really should be standard for the WRX.

I agree. The STi was definitely fun to drive, but they skimped on the interior details too much. The car has amazing potential though. The handling and brakes are second to none (except for the GT-R I would imagine for the price of 2 STi's).

Agreed

OP,

But, if you're just kicking tires because you are bored you're wasting other peoples time.

That was a lame response, I am looking to buy another car but only one that will move me away from my current car.

A new car has to better my current car in looks (interior/exterior), features, power etc . and be within a justifiable price point. So until I test drive and cross-compare a few cars, i wont know if any of them are the right one.

Pictures, reviews only do so much, a test drive or 2 or 3 are a must before narrowing down.

Its the dealerships job to entertain all customers with a test drive. In fact they should even let us test drive STIs, whether a customer is serious or not to buying it (unemployed teenagers included...so what if they cant afford it now...someday they will be able to, so promote ur product nicely now and secure a future sale). Its just a <$40K car, its not a freakin 911 turbo.

I've seen quite a few threads with people buying STIs and selling them cuz it killed their backs. If they had test driven the car before they would hv a better idea of exactly wht they are getting into. A test drive provides valueable feedback to a potential customer and should always be encouraged.

I was bored at work and figured it was a good time to go and research a possible future purchase.

I walked into the dealership and the salesman tossed me the keys.

Which dealership Euclid? I think I could get nate wade to give me a test drive but I don't want to drive someone elses car yet. I doubt it was larry h, they wouldnt do that (or would they?)!!

OP,

What says that his joy ride won't someday sway him into buying one??? Regardless of his intentions that day.

Was at the dealer to get the oil changed in the LGT.

Walked up to the STI, saw the 38k+ sticker price, walked away laughing. :lol:

Evo is going to spank the STI in sales. Book it.

not for first year, seems local mitsu dealers have been selling the X's at invoice to get rid of them. no one wants to touch a 1st gen mitsu engine.

Wow, I can't stand Larry H. They have screwed me multiple times and always try and rip me off!! Nice to know someone who is satisfied with em :)

i was satisfied with the test drive, but i'd never purchase a vehicle from lhm. :)

Was at the dealer to get the oil changed in the LGT.

Walked up to the STI, saw the 38k+ sticker price, walked away laughing. :lol:

Evo is going to spank the STI in sales. Book it.

I think you are wrong man, way wrong. The only time Evo's are selling is either at invoice, or to stupid buyers. The mitsubishi dealership in my area has 5 on their lot, asking msrp +4k cause of how new it is... yet the subaru dealerships are selling out of the sti's quickly and they are selling them at MSRP. Evo never has and will never out sell an STI. That doesnt mean it isn't a better drivers car though......

Archived