LegacyGT.com

Stranded in Flordia

After looking at legacy's for 2 years almost. I decided that now was the time to get one. I am still in college, but saved up some cash and decided to fly down to tampa to buy one that I found. I was going to drive it back to Michigan and have a rust free subie in the UP. It isn't all that special. 98 GT 5spd black on cloth.

Test drove the car and I really liked it. Decided to buy it cause I thought i was getting a good deal. Spent some time with my cousin driving around tampa and having him show me around when i noticed the car pulling to the right. Took the right wheel off and there was no pad material there at all. Took it in the shop today and $800 later new calipers, rotors, and pads up front. Figured my problems were over.

Got driving and 215 miles into the 1600 mile trip it started making a little noise and decided to pull over and check it out. The second i pushed in the clutch the engine died...i muscled up the off ramp on blazing coasting speed. It cranked over but wouldn't stay running. got it into a gas station and noticed we were good on gas 1/4 tank, collant temp was normal. Openned the hood and both fans were Ripping on high and you couldn't place your hand on the radiator. then resevor bottle was almost over flowing. we started to look for leaks to see what was going on...the collant started to bubble and boil a little. My buddy that went with me, got on the ground and noticed the lower raditor hose had no collant in it, it was cool to the touch and really limp...so after he squeezed it a few the collant level went down and we let the sit for some time...started it up and it wouldn't really idel well and was making a close to knocking sound. The oil was fine and freshly changed and everything seemed to be good except the collant issue.

So i had to make some decission and decided to have the car towed to Wisconsin and have it at my shop to fix it next weekend and get if figured out. But i find myself now stranded in Jacksonville sitting at the airport while i leave my new car at the mercy of the subaru dealer here with it unloaded on the front lawn cause all the entrances were blocked...hopefully to see it this week and get it fixed by the weekend.

My question is...is there an easy JDM turbo swap that I can do if the engine it toast? something like an ej25 turbo or a ej20 turbo they used in this car from japan that i can get an engine, ecu, and all taht good stuff?

Thanks

Rob

Nothing is easy when it comes to swaps.

Your best bet would be to look for a 1st Gen. legacy turbo or wrx engine. Hell, if you just need an engine, put an n/a 2.2 in there, and it'll go 300k miles. No need for JDM, you would just be making your easy swap that much more difficult.

I'd like to go turbo, and that was the plan. I looked into the 2.5 and realized that it was going to be a difficult. But I love the body style and it came with everything I wanted option wise from the factory so I figured it was a good base. I looked into turboing a ej25d but for the most part the head gasket issues are huge...so i was looking at going to a 2.0T...but I'm still floating here and Nasioc to see what i can learn

For the millionth time, all of the information you could ever want or need about in-brand Subaru engine swaps is at http://www.nasioc.com in the "Subaru Conversions" forum http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=87.

The good news is that you can swap in a WRX motor fairly easily.

good luck :)

it is at the subie dealer, but the cost of doing all of that is going to make this relatively cheap car that more expensive. I was looking at an EJ20K out of a jdm wrx sti. I just need to figure things out...

Fact is I hard from the dealer, they drove it into the shop with nothing but the Rod knock knock knocking away...until they do a compression test i won't know 100% if it was head gasket that cause everything...

lol...idk who i got it from he (the owner) wasn't there when i bought it...carisma auto sales was the place...in tampa. I did however call Bill and him and i chatted for about 30 mins...then i chatted with blane in service for about 10 more mins...if you're in the area go on up there and take a gander at her and let me know shes doing good...if so take some pics :)

You bought it from a dealer? Don't they have to warranty it for 30 days or something?

No offense, but you didn't check the brakes before you bought it? You probably could have gotten the selling dealer to perform the brake job

it was a little used car place...the brake issue was a seized caliper and when i test drove it everything seemed great. I even looked at the brakes on the side opposite of the seized caliper and there was a ton of pad left so i thought i was good...never had a caliper seize on me, and wasn't something i was looking at from a florida car.

Archived