LegacyGT.com

CD2 Engine Detailer back on the shelves at AutoZone!!!

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Anytime, brotha. :) Don't inhale it too deeply. I swear that smell is part of the addiction. ;) Just give it a light coat and then go for a drive while the engine bay heats up. Then pop the hood and wipe it down with a dry towel and you'll have an awesome looking engine. Make sure you hit things from all angles and soak the hoses real good. You don't have to soak the plastic, but definitely get anything rubber nice and wet. That stuff will shine like crazy after this stuff.

“Cleanliness becomes more important as godliness becomes more unlikely.”

O C D E T A I L S . C O M

OCDETAILS BLOG

^ ^ +1

That's right. This won't do much for cleaning anything. You will have to scrub anything that is stained or damaged from other products first. I will say that when I bought my Corolla XRS there was a lot of damage to some of the parts from the previous owner using tire foam to shine things up. That kind of thing isn't designed for the high temperatures found under the hood. it baked all that build up on and made it very nasty. CD2 did do a pretty good job of restoring the blackness, but most of it came from my elbow grease with a tooth brush and some Meguiar's #39 rubber/vinyl cleaner. If I would have just sprayed it down with CD2 then it would have been very shiny lumpy brown. lol

OCDETAILS BLOG

You've got me there. I just use Gunk foaming degreaser or simple green when it comes to that close up cleaning. I've never really played too much with the citrus stuff except for a kickass citrus adhesive remover that Four Star makes. It wouldn't be good for under the hood unless you were removing stickers or something.

OCDETAILS BLOG

This is NOT true. I am a manager of an autozone store and we do NOT have the cd2 engine detailer back on the shelf. The black magic 2 in 1 engine shine has replaced the cd2. The part number for the cd2 #4516 even supercedes to the black magic part number.

Sorry.:icon_cry:

Autozone no longer carries cd2, it has been replaced by black magic. Any of the cd2 that you are getting from autozone is still left over old stock that is from a time when we carried it.

HTH

Maybe that is true for your location, but I've been buying this stuff for years and it did disappear from the shelves for about 4 years. Cases and cases of this stuff don't just suddenly reappear as old stock after 4 years. Maybe to one store, but this is happening all over the country. You guys just don't carry it at your store, wherever your store is. Not every location in the country is carrying it again, but a lot of them are. You would be doing your customers a favor if you did a little research and found out where these other stores are getting it and see about having a couple cases delivered to your location on the moon. Or you can just pop into message boards and call everybody a liar and tell them they are seeing things. lol That is great for business too I'm sure.

OCDETAILS BLOG

I bought another six cans today and I asked the store manager if this is a new item for them and he said "No, it isn't new, but we haven't carried it for awhile and a bunch of AutoZones have now started getting it back in." It was on the shelf right next to the shitty Black Magic garbage, so clearly they have seperate order numbers. I'd never assume that ignorance in how to order it means that it can't be done. ;) My advice to all managers of all AutoZones in all the world is to figure out how to get it and stock lots of it just in case I run out while I'm on the other side of town and need another can. ;)

OCDETAILS BLOG

:lol:

I use mine ever week on like 5 cars but for the wheel wells. I only have had to use it once on the engines and they are still going strong.

I'm the only one that drives a car in the household, so all the other vehicles have the clearly visible, and often times, dirty/ugly, gaping fenderwells. Run some high pressure water through there, scrub it down with a dishwashing pad, and spray some CD2. Bestest fenderwells evar!:lol:

OC, i read your site word for word and followed some of your tips, ie the cali squeegee blade (of which i swore was a waste of my money) . i now SWEAR by your word as if it were gold. i CANNOT find this cd2 in my autozone here in NC, but im searching for it. great work and great info. i manage a lexus/honda/volvo bodyshop, and have passed along your info to all that will listen. i sing your praises my friend and follow your instructions word for word. thanks for being such a formidable person to admire, and i have looked for and researched your recommended products. as soon as i can get my hands on a PC 7424, its on! again, thank you for great info. and if you wanna sell some of the cd2 or know where to buy it online, send me the info.

Wow. Thanks for the kind words. :) I do my best to share whatever knowledge I have gained from experimenting and flushing money down the drain on crap that doesn't work. lol I figure if my losses or gains can help someone else, then why not share. :)

That is a great link for the PC7424. You won't find it for much cheaper unless you buy it on ebay. Vendors like Danase.com or DetailCity.com can't get it at that sort of price because they don't sell PorterCable tools in the volumes that big tool shops can. Apparantly the same goes for CD2. [ame=http://www.amazon.com/Engine-Detailer-12-5-oz-CASE/dp/B000AP044W/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&s=automotive&qid=1207231832&sr=8-3]This is where I used to have to get it.[/ame] $9 bucks a can not including shipping. The last time I ordered it I actually applied for the Amazon credit card so I could get $30 bucks off the order. I bought two cases and it evened out the price per can to something more reasonable. Seriously though... I charge $60 to $80 for an engine detail and it usually costs me less than half a can to do one. I wouldn't be making nearly as much money on those types of jobs if it weren't for this stuff, so I just consider it a good investment. :) If $9 a can nets me $150 in business, then I'd say that was a good turnaround on my investment. ;)

My offer to send you however many cans you need is still open. $5 bucks a can and then whatever shipping is. What it has been costing to mail them out here on the west coast has been pretty even with what Midway charges, so I don't think I'm any cheaper. I'm not even making profit on it, so I don't know how Midway does it. You may find a member that lives closer who can send some up for you. Just be careful.... This stuff is super addictive. Use one can and you might be ok, but after two cans you have to enroll in a special program to get off the stuff. I don't think I'll ever be cured. My blood is 50/50 CD2 and blood. I gotta have it!!!!

OCDETAILS BLOG

Well put. I feel the exact same way!:)

OC, i read your site word for word and followed some of your tips, ie the cali squeegee blade (of which i swore was a waste of my money) . i now SWEAR by your word as if it were gold. i CANNOT find this cd2 in my autozone here in NC, but im searching for it. great work and great info. i manage a lexus/honda/volvo bodyshop, and have passed along your info to all that will listen. i sing your praises my friend and follow your instructions word for word. thanks for being such a formidable person to admire, and i have looked for and researched your recommended products. as soon as i can get my hands on a PC 7424, its on! again, thank you for great info. and if you wanna sell some of the cd2 or know where to buy it online, send me the info.

Archived