LegacyGT.com

Do you need the coolant conditioner?

Why can't the Subaru engineers design a proper head gasket, that doesn't leak?

I think its a flat engine thing. VW's wasserboxers have the same issues.

I suspect the watercooled porsches (with flat 6s) may show similar problems

The head gasket "problem" isn't caused by a bad design, it's caused by corrosion to the head gasket material by using coolants and additives that are not compatable with the Subaru's.

If you use nothing but Subaru coolant and Subaru conditioner at the scheduled intervals it is very, very unlikely that you would ever have a head gasket issue.

If you want to save $2-$3 bucks by using something else then you will have a greater risk.

OP here. I ended up waiting until I can pick up the conditioner at the dealer today.

...and BTW, all 2009 Subaru's (and the 2008 STi) will use a new Subaru coolant that is good for 100,000 miles. It's blue in color and does not require the conditioner...and is only available from Subaru.

So, is this new coolant going to be compatible with our cars, or only MY 2009+? If so, that would great. Come to think of it the coolant I picked up from the dealer on Friday looks to be a pretty dark blueish green, even at 50%/50%.

Wonder why the service guy didn't tell me I needed the conditioner, is this the new stuff?

OP here. I ended up waiting until I can pick up the conditioner at the dealer today.

So, is this new coolant going to be compatible with our cars, or only MY 2009+? If so, that would great. Come to think of it the coolant I picked up from the dealer on Friday looks to be a pretty dark blueish green, even at 50%/50%.

Wonder why the service guy didn't tell me I needed the conditioner, is this the new stuff?

The new stuff isn't available yet.

I had my cooling system flushed/refilled from Monroe Muffler just before I got my head gaskets/water pump/timing belt done...It's only been about 1.5k miles since the service was performed...

Is it necessary that I get my cooling system flushed/refilled in the near future with the Subaru products?

• 3 months later...

Has anyone added watter wetter or royal purples 'ice' to their coolant when adding the conditioner? Any impact there?

Glad to hear about the long-life coolant. My toyota uses that as well - I am surprised that subaru hasn't used it up until now. I will be using that when I am ready for a flush.

• 4 months later...

Ok so I am looking into what I need for my 30k. I have everything figured out but coolant. I stumbled across this and figured I would be safe just using the Subaru stuff. Don't want to risk any head gasket problems and it's not expensive anyway so not worries. Is this the new blue stuff you guys were talking about?

http://www.5-starperformance.com/servlet/the-1033/Subaru-OEM-Antifreeze--fdsh-/Detail

Does this stuff already have the additive in it? I was thinking instead of using it for "long life" just use it every 30k like a normal coolant. What do you guys think?

Ok so I am looking into what I need for my 30k. I have everything figured out but coolant. I stumbled across this and figured I would be safe just using the Subaru stuff. Don't want to risk any head gasket problems and it's not expensive anyway so not worries. Is this the new blue stuff you guys were talking about?

http://www.5-starperformance.com/servlet/the-1033/Subaru-OEM-Antifreeze--fdsh-/Detail

Does this stuff already have the additive in it? I was thinking instead of using it for "long life" just use it every 30k like a normal coolant. What do you guys think?

That's the stuff my Subaru Service Department gave me. I asked about the additive and they said it was used in older Subaru's which had a head gasket problem, but the 2005+ Legacies don't need it.

Archived