LegacyGT.com

Painted stock grille

John M

I decided to throw caution to the wind and paint my stock grille black. After all, the worst I'd have to do is buy one of the nicer aftermarket units if I didn't like the results.

Well, I like the results!

http://moojohn.com/subaru/grille3.jpg

http://www.moojohn.com/subaru/frontqtr.jpg

Edited 3/12/05 - Added second pic with better lighting and new rims

Sorry about the lighting, but you get the idea. It draws attention away from the grille and back to the awesome headlights and front end in general.

I thought about some sort of cutom mesh deal but it looked like too big of a PITA. This looks like it could have been stock. The black metallic looks just like the inside of the headlights. The finish is perfect; nothing like you'd imagine from a "rattle can" paint job.

All it took was some 400 grit sandpaper, DupliColor "self-etching" primer, and DupliColor black metallic "truck" spray paint, plus some careful masking with green painter's tape.

i would highly suggest a clear coat.

i just finished spraying the bottom trim piece (front bumper) on my car.

painted it matte black then drove 1 week before i had to take it back off.

the black painted areas were getting "stone" nicks and showing the silver paint below. wet sanded, repainted black, and this time i put on a clear coat.

Yet you painted your calipers blue?

I was trying for the "Subaru" blue, not necessarily a "look at me" color. They just don't seem to make a darker blue engine enamel. Red on red wouldn't look right, there's already plenty of silver down there, and black might as well have been stock, so blue it was!

I was trying for the "Subaru" blue, not necessarily a "look at me" color. They just don't seem to make a darker blue engine enamel. Red on red wouldn't look right, there's already plenty of silver down there, and black might as well have been stock, so blue it was!

Alright, fair enough :)

I like the opened up grilles with the cross bars and sube logo photochopped out.

I like the open look, it really complements the open hood scoop, and lower bumper opening.

But I think I would leave the subie oval in there, or an sti badge in the lower right, and black mesh. completely open just looks too open, and looks like something is missing that should be there. Not the cross bars, though. those are thankfully absent.

I love the mesh grilles on the Jag S-type R and CTS-V. a real-mesh grille, powder coated black, or plated in a dark "black chrome" would be slick on the legacy., IMHO.

Having nothing there looks like someone stole your grille :)

The other grille thread is what made me decide to try my hand at it. If I used mesh I wanted it further torwards the front opening and that would have been too much work. For less than $20, I'm happy!

John M,

This may be a stupid question, but did you take the grill off of the car to paint it? Also, did you only sand and paint the chrome areas, or did you do the whole thing?

Thanks,

Chris S.

Yep, I removed it. It's extremely easy - remove the obvious 2 bolts and 2 plastic rivets. Then you unsnap the connectors across the top. Once they're free, pull the bottom of the grill towards you (towards the front of the car) and the grille is off.

I sanded everything - chrome and plastic - to make sure the new paint would adhere properly. I also chose the self-etching primer so it would hold on to the plasti-chrome better.

Archived