LegacyGT.com

Aftermarket wheels+flat+spare=???

RockyMtnGT

Just wondering how any of you running aftermarket (alternate size) wheels are planning on dealing with a flat tire should it occur?

I have Kuhmo ASX's mounted (225/40) on 18" Rota's, which (when new) are fractionally smaller in total circumference than the stock wheels/tires.

So given the fact that we are not supposed to run tires that are different sizes at the same time (due to potential differential/drivetrain damage)

How would we go about dealing with a flat, should it ever occur?

The last time I got a flat, I was in the city, so I just had the car flat bedded to Discout Tire, but what if I'm up not in the city? (150 miles up in the mountains, etc...)

I have a can of fix-o-flat or whatever, but I hate to use that sh!t. Do I need to buy an extra 18" rim and tire to keep as a spare? Even then, if the 18" full size is new and my other tires are worn, then what??? :eek:

Just wondering if you all have any good suggestions because I'm confused! :spin:

I have a full size brand new spare...but as you've seen in my thread...I should not put it on the rear.

Worse come to worst - and a rear blows - you will have to change 2 tires: the full - new - to the front (open diff) and then take a worn front and put it on the rear (ltd slip). And crawl...

Thanks for the responses guys!

I made it back from the road trip pretty much unscathed- no flats...but I did hit a frikin HUGE pot hole though and was SURE it was going to cause a blow out. It seems to be ok though. I swear the impact was big enought that I thought the airbags might go off :lol: I'm almost sure it kicked off a few new rattles in my dash:mad: I haven't hit a hole like that since I lived around NYC...

I still need to crawl under the car and see the inside edge of my rim is bent.:confused:

The Rota's are damn tough though. I have hit some biggies before and haven't had any rim bend on me yet!

• 5 years later...
Hey guys same problem here.. Just put 18" konigs with 225/40 and wondering about a spare the tire store told me you could use any size spare as long ad the tire remained a 225?? Is this correct? Or can I just use a stock 17 i believe it's only a 205? So if I did have a flat I would have to put the spare up front NoT in the back?? Thanx

I know the front diff is open and the rear is LSD, but the owner's manual in my car says spare tire should go on the rear only.
MODS: PW TMIC, Cobb catted DP, HKS cat-back, AVO filter, Bren e-tune; Konis/Epics, Advan RCII

Archived