LegacyGT.com

Shift Knob Replacement in 08's

WaywardWit

Screw the momo, get the casopolis knob! It's friggen sweet!

i had to tug pretty hard on my 08 to get the boot off (for the aforementioned knob), but it does come off. Try to get it to stretch a little by pinching the sides, it might help to clear what you need and get it off.

I second the casopoils option. hold the knob and the boot like a chicken legs then bend and it'll come apart. Should be pretty tight. There's a little lip on teh bottom of the knob you won't find on the momo. You'll have to do the craptastic approach where you take th console apart so you can wrap the stick with tape the keep the boot flush with the knob. I prefer the machined lip on the casopolis that matches the stock.

I don't mind the Casopolis knob however it isn't quite what I was looking for. The Momo knob I wanted was all leather except for two brushed aluminum bars around the middle of the sphere. I liked it and thought it would be a good touch with the color of the interior. I'll try and find a link so you guys can see it.

A few things to consider about the Momo knobs...

The universal Momo knobs don't thread onto your shift lever. Instead, they come with different sized rubber tubes (sometimes they're like tightly wound metal springs instead) that slide down over the shift lever threads. After that the knob goes on and you tighten down small set screws into the rubber to hold it in place. Like this: http://www.gomiata.com/mominin.html. I went through 2 different Momo knobs on my last car and both of them eventually always started to come loose no matter how tight the set screws were.

Both of the knobs I had previously were not all that great of quality, especially for how much they cost. The first one I had looked like the optional Subaru Momo knob. Eventually the glue holding the Momo emblem in the center of the knob let go and I couldn't get it to ever stick back on there again. It looked like crap just leaving it off. The second knob had the chrome Momo emblem on it like the one you're looking at. On that one, the chrome started to flake off of it and it too looked like crap. These things happened to each knob after about a year or so.

You also might have to rig something up so that your shift boot stays up close to the knob. The stock knob has a lip at the end of it where the shift boot attaches to. The Subaru Momo knob and Casopolis' knob both have that lip too so the install is nice and clean.

You're welcome! Unfortunately, most of the "universal" shift knobs from different manufacturers use some sort of spacer/set screw method to hold them in place so that they can be used no matter what size threads are on the shift lever. Your saftest bet is probably to find a knob made to screw right onto a Subaru lever instead.

Archived