LegacyGT.com

just found some acid

Is it my imagination, or is that battery acid in my engine bay?

why would this happen?

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v220/billydagwood/IMG_0728.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v220/billydagwood/IMG_0729.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v220/billydagwood/IMG_0730.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v220/billydagwood/IMG_0731.jpg

Is it my imagination, or is that battery acid in my engine bay?

why would this happen?

It's battery acid. All non-sealed car batteries vent some acid when they charge. If you have a sealed battery, then it's cracked - replace it. If it's not sealed, clean the white corrosion powder off with an old toothbrush that has been dipped in baking soda and wipe it all clean. Then apply a light coat of vaseline or grease to any exposed metal parts near the battery. Notice that your battery terminals were not corroded - they have a protective coating on them.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm having the same problem. Second time I took it in (with nice corrosion all over my blue anodized SPT tie-down) they still said nothing is wrong with the battery, but they sprayed it with some kind of sealant.

I'm just gonna pony up for a sealed, lighter weight battery with better cranking amps, anyway. Screw it.

Ich bin echt viel netter, wenn ich nuechtern bin. Echt!

• 2 weeks later...

my battery holder no longer has paint on it. I replaced my battery last month some time. I have 40k miles on the car and the battery was bulging at the sides and leaking from every possible place.. -1 for subaru and cheap batteries..

my positive terminal is almost unuseable its so eaten now as well. I suppose I have no one to blame but myself. If I opened my hood more I would have noticed this sooner.

"The penalty good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." - Plato

• 3 months later...
I'm having the same problem. Second time I took it in (with nice corrosion all over my blue anodized SPT tie-down) they still said nothing is wrong with the battery, but they sprayed it with some kind of sealant.

I'm just gonna pony up for a sealed, lighter weight battery with better cranking amps, anyway. Screw it.

Yep same here. My 2007 is beginning to corrode and show signs of leakage all over the top of the battery.

I might just clean, spray and install those anti-corrosion pads to the terminals.

Probably only $5 for all that vs $100+ for a nicer battery.

I did clean it, several times. The corrosion kept coming back. At the dealership, they coated it liberally with an anti-corrosion grease. Took longer, but the corrosion came back.

If the corrosion is a problem for your battery, your best bet is to go to a sealed battery.

The good news is that many of the sealed batteries, while expensive, are lighter than the OEM battery.

• 7 months later...
I replaced the OEM battery with a Braille sealed battery. 15 lbs, 1000+ amps FTW!

Thread revival!

Did you have issues using the OEM positive terminal with the Braille battery posts? The OEM terminal on my car seems a bit too "loose" for the supplied Braille posts.

...and to go back on topic, the battery in my wife's OBXT went bad suddenly while I wa out picking some stuff up. It had shown corrosion, not as bad as I saw on my spec.B, but it had gradually built up and had half-eaten one of the terminals, not to mention the battery tie-down.

Luckily, I was near Costco and just picked up a brand new Optima Yellow Top. I'm done with leaky OEM batteries.

Archived