LegacyGT.com

Local RE92 feedback

SubieAA

Hi,

I just recently bought my 5sp white 2005 LGT wagon. It has the stock tires with good tread on it still, 40K. I have read many opposing views on the stock tires, with the Conti's and a few others coming in with good reviews.

For those of you that drive in New England, do you use a snow-tire with your car?

Are the stock tires really bad? They have been fine so far, but it has not snowed or iced over in the week I have owned the car.

if the re92s have good tread they will be fine in the winter, but you will have to drive carefully, they are not great in the snow (rain or ice), but I managed for a winter or two, if the tread starts to go they get real sketchy though.

If there will be lots of snow I would get a snow tire or at least a high performance all season.

I have the re960s they are pretty good in the snow and great in rain and dry

Precipitant weather expected today, so I will try to test limits in a wet parking lot.

The 960s and Conti's seem to have a lot of fans. I hope I can get away with an AS. I would like to get 1 more year out of the ones I have.

I ran my RE92's last winter and for the first few big storms this year. I picked up a set of Blizzak LM-25's barely used off craigslist for $200 (all 4) about a month ago. The difference is between night and day. Get snows, you wont regret it!

While you can probably get by okay with Bridgestone RE92 OEM tyres if you are reasonably adept at driving, this particular brand of tyre has been blamed for more accidents on the nasioc BB than any others.

They are evil tyres.

I would ditch them ASAP.

For winter driving you want NOKIAN snow tyres : http://www.nokiantires.com/en/winter_passenger.aspx

The WR "winter" and WR G2 "all season" are perhaps best for the milder conditions of southern New England and the more serious "Hakkapeliitta" (Who-Kah-Pell-Lett-ah) snow tyres are for conditions that will tax the All Wheel Drive capabilities of your Subaru.

While you can debate the capabilities of Summer high-performance treaded tyres all you want, I dont think there is any debate as to NOKIANs offering superiour winter performance capabilities.

Oh, and for high-performance summer driving conditions its nice to get a decent set of aftermarket light-weight, high-strength high-performance rims and have a set of summer only tyres mounted.

I especially like NOKIAN high-performance summer tyres, because while they arent the ultimate in high-performance tyres, it is my personal experiance is that the Nokians will last for several years and it isnt uncommon to get 60,000 miles (or more) out of them. Most serious high-performance type tyres aren't designed for longer "high-mileage" tread life. http://www.nokiantires.com/en/summer_passenger.aspx Check out the Nokian "Z" (for summer use only).

While I am an older more "mature" type driver who rarely exploits the full performance potential of my tyres on public roads, I find I very much perfere having the performance capabilities of a high performance tyre, I just dont like dropping another $700 - $800 bucks on a new set of tyres every other summer.

Yeah, I know... I sound like I work for NOKIAN tyres. For the record, I am currently driving on a set of Pirelli P6's that aren't all that bad as I dont currently really need the ultimate in high performance winter driving.

I tried talking my dad into getting a set of Nokian winter tyres for his Honduh CR-V SUV, but he wanted something cheaper, and settled on a set of Michelin X Ice-tyres from the tyre rack mounted and balanced on a set of steel rims for well under $500 shipped to his house. For a few hundered more he could have gotten a better performing set of snows that would outlast the cheaper Michelins that he got.

Speedee,

Do you use the RE92s in the summer then?

I bought the car 03/06. Up until 04/07, I rocked the RE92's. Then I went with a Rota Torque/Falken Azenis combo for summer rubber. Mid 10/07, I put the stock rims/RE92's back on. Then last month I got the LM25's. I'm never looking at a set of RE92's again! :spin::spin:

Now if you're just into driving your car from point A to point B in the summer and dont like to push its limits, then the stock tires are for you. If you love to push the go fast pedal and see how well your car grips turns, then a set of winter and a set of summer tires should be purchased.

Well,

I have always explored the abilities of my cars, but I don't want to do my best attempt at rally driving. I drive manual for a reason.

I just drove home on wet/near icy roads of greater Boston. With the amount of power this car generates, the stiff, sport suspension, and the weight of my wagon, I started to feel like I need hands-down, rock-solid tires under my car. This car simply demands extremely competent tires.

I don't understand why I can't get away with ultra higgh-performance AS tires like the Conti's and the Bridgestone 960s (these seem like they are a tad higher in class). In New England, it rains often, even in summer (June) and I don't know if I want to risk a summer tire, plus I want to save the money.

SpeedeeLGT, I am loving this car more every drive I take, so I don't know how hard I will drive the car (but I do want to keep it for years), I will have to decide between winter tires or AS tires this coming week from tirerack. I think the RE92s might be penny wise, pound foolish.

Sorry for going on.

If you love to push the go fast pedal and see how well your car grips turns, then a set of winter and a set of summer tires should be purchased.

+1

This is what I do with every car I own and drive in both seasons. I use the stock rims for snows and get a second set of rims with summer only tires. Why use "compromise" good at nothing , all season tires.

Exactly.

Nokian WR here for winter (technically A/S tire, but winter biased)

GY F1 DS-G3 for summer, to be replced by Bridgestone RE050A Pole Position

Summer tires (with good wet traction) FTW for summer fun!

Btw, the OP is mistaken as to performace of summer tires in rain. Good summer tires are better in rain than best all-seasons. It's the "extreme performance summer tires" that forgo wet traction for dry one.

Goodyear F1 DS-G3 has a great wet traction and great hydroplanning resistance, no all season tire can touch it.

While you can probably get by okay with Bridgestone RE92 OEM tyres if you are reasonably adept at driving, this particular brand of tyre has been blamed for more accidents on the nasioc BB than any others.

They are evil tyres.

I would ditch them ASAP.

For winter driving you want NOKIAN snow tyres : http://www.nokiantires.com/en/winter_passenger.aspx

The WR "winter" and WR G2 "all season" are perhaps best for the milder conditions of southern New England and the more serious "Hakkapeliitta" (Who-Kah-Pell-Lett-ah) snow tyres are for conditions that will tax the All Wheel Drive capabilities of your Subaru.

While you can debate the capabilities of Summer high-performance treaded tyres all you want, I dont think there is any debate as to NOKIANs offering superiour winter performance capabilities.

Oh, and for high-performance summer driving conditions its nice to get a decent set of aftermarket light-weight, high-strength high-performance rims and have a set of summer only tyres mounted.

I especially like NOKIAN high-performance summer tyres, because while they arent the ultimate in high-performance tyres, it is my personal experiance is that the Nokians will last for several years and it isnt uncommon to get 60,000 miles (or more) out of them. Most serious high-performance type tyres aren't designed for longer "high-mileage" tread life. http://www.nokiantires.com/en/summer_passenger.aspx Check out the Nokian "Z" (for summer use only).

While I am an older more "mature" type driver who rarely exploits the full performance potential of my tyres on public roads, I find I very much perfere having the performance capabilities of a high performance tyre, I just dont like dropping another $700 - $800 bucks on a new set of tyres every other summer.

Yeah, I know... I sound like I work for NOKIAN tyres. For the record, I am currently driving on a set of Pirelli P6's that aren't all that bad as I dont currently really need the ultimate in high performance winter driving.

I tried talking my dad into getting a set of Nokian winter tyres for his Honduh CR-V SUV, but he wanted something cheaper, and settled on a set of Michelin X Ice-tyres from the tyre rack mounted and balanced on a set of steel rims for well under $500 shipped to his house. For a few hundered more he could have gotten a better performing set of snows that would outlast the cheaper Michelins that he got.

I will have to factor in tread life.

I've been running with Conti extreme contact tires for a while now. They are a great all season tire if you don't want to go with dedicated summer and winter tires. They are also reasonably priced. They are so much better than the OEM rubber on dry, wet and snow conditions.

I've been running with Conti extreme contact tires for a while now. They are a great all season tire if you don't want to go with dedicated summer and winter tires. They are also reasonably priced. They are so much better than the OEM rubber on dry, wet and snow conditions.

How are you in the snow? Do you ever feel like you need dedicated snows.

How are you in the snow? Do you ever feel like you need dedicated snows.

They are very good in the snow. I have always felt like I have solid traction with them in the storms we've had so far this winter on back roads and the highway. I am very pleased with these tires and don't feel the need for a dedicated winter only tire.

I went into this winter knowing my RE92s were pretty worn. I figured I would replace them within the next 6 months. I figured with AWD I would at least be able to get through winter with them. I've twice now been caught driving in bad weather and have honestly never been more scared in my entire life. I had to keep my speed down to 40MPH while EVERY other car blew past me at 60mph. In the meantime even a tiny stretch of wet, yes, wet pavement in cold temperature would quiver the back end to the point where I honestly thought I would go into a freaking fishtail at 40mph. Ridiculous.

I've been looking online for an hour now and for my Outback XT the tire size of 225/55/17 doesn't give you many options. Wish I could get the Conti extreme contacts or Goodyear Eagle F1s, but they don't off them in the size. I'm debating between the Yoko Advance S4 or the Ecsta ASX. The Ecstas are half the cost, but I'm reading that they wear much faster and can get noisy... However, I'm not feeling the love of spending 167 dollars/tire with the Yokos.

P.S. I'm not a "local" to the NE, but just had to post because of the RE92 topic and my 5 hours of hell with them today.

Or drive slower :rolleyes:

Must be pain to drive slow a stage 3 car :rolleyes:

Point is, I just don't get why people spend 20-30k on a car, yet debate whether to spend like $500 for added safety & performance.

Must be pain to drive slow a stage 3 car :rolleyes:

Point is, I just don't get why people spend 20-30k on a car, yet debate whether to spend like $500 for added safety & performance.

This thread isn't about me, or even you for that matter :lol:

The OP wanted to know if the stock tyres are OK on his (presumably stock) wagon. The answer is yes, they are fine.

Archived