LegacyGT.com

Local RE92 feedback

SubieAA

I drove up from NJ to VT a few times so far this year for skiing and the stock RE92's aren't that bad. I'm not saying they're great, but for reasonable (and careful) driving, they'll get you where you need to go. It's just the usual give yourself room to stop, don't take turns too fast (but it's more fun if you do since it's fairly easy to pull yourself out of a slide), and nice easy accelerations from a stop if you're on a layer of snow.

That being said, I just switched to a set of ContiExtreme's this past weekend and I'm looking forward to seeing how they compare to the 92's in the weather.

I've been looking online for an hour now and for my Outback XT the tire size of 225/55/17 doesn't give you many options. Wish I could get the Conti extreme contacts or Goodyear Eagle F1s, but they don't off them in the size.

http://www.nokiantires.com/en/tire_hakkarsi.aspx?season=winter

Nokian Hakkapeliitta RSi are good for winter driving conditions and are available in your 225/55 R17 size.

On the other hand if you are really serious about wanting an "all season" type tyre:

http://www.nokiantires.com/en/tire_i3.aspx

The Nokian i3 is the "new standard in in All-Season Touring performance".

I drove up from NJ to VT a few times so far this year for skiing and the stock RE92's aren't that bad. I'm not saying they're great, but for reasonable (and careful) driving, they'll get you where you need to go. It's just the usual give yourself room to stop, don't take turns too fast (but it's more fun if you do since it's fairly easy to pull yourself out of a slide), and nice easy accelerations from a stop if you're on a layer of snow.

That being said, I just switched to a set of ContiExtreme's this past weekend and I'm looking forward to seeing how they compare to the 92's in the weather.

Let me know. My LGT wagon has enough torque and weight that I can see getting quickly uncomfortable with less than good grip. Strange how expensive the stock tires are on tirerack. Driving them on wet/icy roads the other day did not give me a "lot of feel" back, but they did not fail.

The RE92's at your stage in life become near unacceptable in the difficult winter conditions like slush and very wet snow. I have owned three sets of RE92's(all oem lucky me) and they all go downhill between 20k-30k of life.

My wife(LGT w/40k RE92s) nearly rear ended a vehicle in normal traffic due some slush on the road. We are very content with replacement Nokian WR G2's. Actually beyond happy with rain, slush and snow performance. Hopefully warm dry performance will be ok.

The RE92's at your stage in life become near unacceptable in the difficult winter conditions like slush and very wet snow. I have owned three sets of RE92's(all oem lucky me) and they all go downhill between 20k-30k of life.

My wife(LGT w/40k RE92s) nearly rear ended a vehicle in normal traffic due some slush on the road. We are very content with replacement Nokian WR G2's. Actually beyond happy with rain, slush and snow performance. Hopefully warm dry performance will be ok.

Thanks. Specifically, I have 7/32" of tread depth left which Patrick Subaru considers in the good category (4/32 and lower needs attention).

The tires are good on dry pavement, but I am worried about wet, slush. It sounds like I will have to get winter protection tires on soon.

One thing I am disapointed about is my braking capacity. My rear pads are down to 5mm which is consider good, but I had trouble coming to a quick stop on route 9 this morning when traffic suddenly stopped and I had passengers.

RE92s are terrible. I 've been using Dunlop Wintersport M3 snow tires for winter use and they even handle better than the RE92s on dry roads!

+1 Ditch the RE92s before something happens.

Safety is the #1 concern.

enough zip ties and duct tape will fix anything.

http://www.nokiantires.com/en/tire_hakkarsi.aspx?season=winter

Nokian Hakkapeliitta RSi are good for winter driving conditions and are available in your 225/55 R17 size.

On the other hand if you are really serious about wanting an "all season" type tyre:

http://www.nokiantires.com/en/tire_i3.aspx

The Nokian i3 is the "new standard in in All-Season Touring performance".

Thanks! I actually ended up with a set of Yokohama Avid TRZs. They're ranked #1 in their category for all-season at Tirerack.com the Nokian i3s also look good as well. I'll pass that on to my friend that will be looking for new tires in the next few months on his Outback as well.

In New England, it rains often, even in summer (June) and I don't know if I want to risk a summer tire, plus I want to save the money.

Summer tire does not mean dry. Only some summer tires are dry tires; tirerack calls them "Extreme Performance Summer". They are perfect for desert or auto-x (when it does not rain :-).

Most summer tires handle rain as good as all seasons if not better.

Krzys

The OP wanted to know if the stock tyres are OK on his (presumably stock) wagon. The answer is yes, they are fine.

If they were new I would agree. I used "deadly" RE92s on my GT for one winter myself and survived (I still have the wheels and tires, they are now my "summer" setup - I will buy winter tires this summer) but at 40K and 3 years old they may not be OK.

Krzys

If they were new I would agree. I used "deadly" RE92s on my GT for one winter myself and survived (I still have the wheels and tires, they are now my "summer" setup - I will buy winter tires this summer) but at 40K and 3 years old they may not be OK.

Krzys

That is exactly what I will be doing; I will use the RE92s as the summer tires. I find the rubber loses elasticity when the temps get cold.

Archived