LegacyGT.com

Clarkson's latest rant

Exactly. I just can't get past the fact that it's a hatch back. Reminds me of a girl's car, probably since my sister drives a cute little Mazda 3 hatch, which is better looking than the new Impreza or WRX by a factor of 10.

If Subaru decides to "improve" the looks of the next Legacy, my 2005 will be the last one I'll ever buy.

Without good looks in a Subaru, you're left with great performance and crappy customer care. Sorry, but great performance can't make up for shitty dealers!

i agree to the fact that the bugeye back then might have been thought ugly - i did. but, i changed my views when they released the S202. the yellow colour scheme with bronze wheels and the Racing like spoiler really caught my eye.

but for the impreza...anything lower than the STi will be considered ugly in my view. i can't stand it looking like that.

and the legacy...i just hope the front grille doesn't get any bigger and the rear bumper doesn't get reflectors or fake vents...still..even though they are not the sort of things i would hate the most.

I think the main problem is that the Impreza always looked different from the high performance models. Whether that was the RS or the WRX/STi. Even with the "bolt on wheel flairs" they gave the car character. Now the WRX looks like the Impreza, I would think that most won't pay more for the same look.

When the other car companys were increasing content Subbie was increasing in baby steps. At least the new reviews don't dewell on the looks too much. The problem now is that on the inside it is an OK car, nothing else. It is a shame I wish it was received better but it is what it is.

Peace,

Greg

If Subaru decides to "improve" the looks of the next Legacy, my 2005 will be the last one I'll ever buy.

Without good looks in a Subaru, you're left with great performance and crappy customer care. Sorry, but great performance can't make up for shitty dealers!

They've already tried to "improve" the current LGT's looks by making the grill opening taller (for the 07 or 08. I'm not sure). This went hand in hand with the Outback grill modification, making the OB look like a fugly truck from the front and the LGT just homely.

Weird. I'm British and I'm the first person to ask what a "shooting brake" is? I figure it's a reference to the car's performance and handling??

Hmmm... To me it sounds like a brake system for trailers where the weight of the trailer pushing on the hitch enables the brakes on the trailer mechanically, but I'm probably wrong! :confused:

453747.png

Shooting-brake is a car body style originally used to describe bespoke versions of 2-door luxury estate cars built for use by hunters[1]. In modern usage "Shooting-brake" generally refers to any 2-door hatchback with a squared-off rear, although some manufacturers have referred to other types of vehicles as a "Shooting-brake"[2].

The body was usually custom built. An early manufacturer of shooting brakes was Albion Motors of Scotland. There are existing examples of custom-built Bentley S2, Mercedes 300, and also the Aston Martin DBS Shooting Brake.

VG, a small US coachbuilder, offers a model named VGD Shooting Brake.

Some modern manufacturers, such as Audi, have recently referred to some concept cars as shooting brakes, although today the term may be used to refer to any estate car and in Europe some motor manufacturers refer to the estate bodies of their line-up as the brake or break - the spelling depending on the country. The Ford Scorpio was a modern example of this usage.

The more I looked at the last Impreza, the more I loved it. I came to appreciate the box fenders, and what was ultimately a uniquely handsome car. The new one doesn't have the subtle hints of genius that the last one had (in the looks department) and it isn't as ugly as it is boring.

Cars with long cabins and squared rear treatments. The specifics are well illustrated above, but the term has become more generalized.

Most wagons are considered estate cars (cars for driving around on your estate, or "Huge tracts of land" with your hunting equipment)

Volvo wagons, Subaru wagons, and even the Volvo C30 would be considered shooting-brakes. The P1800ES (precedent to the C30) was certainly, although not so bespoke, or luxury.

Aston Martin-Lagonda made a few.

Clarkson, as always is a master editorialist and satirist with his commentary. That was a fantastic article.

Archived