LegacyGT.com

3.0 or 3.5L trans options?

Wow..subscribe!

You may be subscribed for a little while as money is a key feature in this decision. However it is going to happen, I am just gathering info so I can figure it all out and start collecting parts and building.

• 2 weeks later...

Why not run a STI 6mt? More than strong enough and you are already dumping a lot fo $$ into this. (dont forget the new rear and 1/2 shafts)

Also just how much $$ do you think this will cost? I have a number but I want to hear yours first :munch:

Why not run a STI 6mt? More than strong enough and you are already dumping a lot fo $$ into this. (dont forget the new rear and 1/2 shafts)

Also just how much $$ do you think this will cost? I have a number but I want to hear yours first :munch:

I say $20K +

I have been told that any suby tranny will bolt to any suby motor after 199something, and I figured I would run a 5mt so I would get longer gears. PPG upgraded of coarse. I wanted to figure out if the Porche block is the same pattern to bolt up to a suby tranny.

As to how much it will all cost... I will be doing all of the work, but parts along and tuning I figure will probably be between $15-$20k.

$5K for tranny upgrade

$1K for clutch

$1200 for EMS

$5k for short block build

$5k for head build

$1k for a custom tune

$2k-$3k for whatever I am missing

Its fun having this conversation in two seperate threads. :) I know it is going to take a lot and I am just looking for a project that will occupy my life for a few years. Some guys like building a hot rod. I like working on Suby's. I may end up with a strocked H4, who knows. I havn't even bought a block yet, but thats why I am doing this research. Honestly I didn't think about how much of the piping would have to be custom fabbed. So you got me on that one. The turbo will be picked when the motor is built. So I have no idea what one will go on yet.

Anyone know if a Porche 3.6L motor has the same bolt pattern for our trannys to mate to?

My guess is they have completely different set of lego blocks.

Honestly I didn't think about how much of the piping would have to be custom fabbed.

For a H6? All exhausts parts custom, intake custom,Manifold custom, mounts custom, FMIC custom.

Perrin did it for a STi. and put 40k into it. Search NASIOC

Anyone know if a Porche 3.6L motor has the same bolt pattern for our trannys to mate to?

Bolt pattern, possibly... but not likely.

Placement however is a totally different story.. aren't the engines placed in the rear of the car? So a subie tranny definately won't fit right with a porsche engine (with a mid/rear placement engine). A mid-engined subie would be pretty damned interesting.. but you'd probably custom fab a helluva lot more stuff...

For a H6? All exhausts parts custom, intake custom,Manifold custom, mounts custom, FMIC custom.

Perrin did it for a STi. and put 40k into it. Search NASIOC

Thats where I got the idea from. Didn't realize they put that much into it. wow

Bolt pattern, possibly... but not likely.

Placement however is a totally different story.. aren't the engines placed in the rear of the car? So a subie tranny definately won't fit right with a porsche engine (with a mid/rear placement engine). A mid-engined subie would be pretty damned interesting.. but you'd probably custom fab a helluva lot more stuff...

I know they are mid engine cars but I didn't think that made the engine only mountable in the rear. It was just a thought for a case that might be stronger.

Just a side note on the 3.5L

I believe that they had to increase bore and stroke on the 3.0L to get there, and from what I've heard that didn't leave much room. From previous discussions (can't remember what thread) I believe that there was a concern about the strength of the block/internals if they were to be put under any kind of boost situation. (hope that made sense)

Just a side note on the 3.5L

I believe that they had to increase bore and stroke on the 3.0L to get there, and from what I've heard that didn't leave much room. From previous discussions (can't remember what thread) I believe that there was a concern about the strength of the block/internals if they were to be put under any kind of boost situation. (hope that made sense)

Wouldn't sleeving the cylinders help in that situation?

Wouldn't sleeving the cylinders help in that situation?

I'm definetely not an expert, but my understanding is that sleeving would only help in replacement situations, or slightly stronger initial design. The problem with the new 3.5L is that the block has sacrificed strength in order to gain larger displacement. Sleeving would make the area in the block stronger, but it won't change the fact that the block has been weakened because it has lost some of the area that it had for strength and given it to displacement.

I'm an engine noob, so if someone can say this better, or can correct some mistake I've made, please do!

Archived