LegacyGT.com

Help! My car is acting funny...

Tanvirkamal

Hello everyone,

My name is tony and I have owned this car for about 3 months and bought it used with about 59k on it. It drove perfectly fine and ran very well. I was driving the interstate 2 days ago and while doing about 85 I noticed my car slowing down and my revs floating and rising. I slowed down and then it caught back on at about 65-70 (odd huh? haha) and I drove it really easily all the way home. The next day I started it up and let it warm up (its very cold in wisconsin these days) then headed off to school. As I was driving there, I had to merge onto the highway and while in 3rd gear a little above 3.5k the car wouldn't climb anymore but the rpms went up like it was being fluttered in neutral. This is my first turbo'ed and manual car so I had no idea what was going on. So I took it easy and shifted every 2k till today, and it still drives fine as long as your not above 3500 in any gear above 2nd. But I have no idea what is going on with it, so I turn to you guys for help before blowing my money, which isn't much, at the stealership.

Also it always grinds into 5th gear, no matter what unless I let the rpms settle below 2k and then put it in, causing a little jump. Other than this problem I don't have any issues with it and I love this car. If you know what the problem is, let me know what it is and how to fix it, but remember I don't have much money and I do not plan to do anything above a cobb accessport and possibly a gutted up-pipe in the future (I want this car to last as long as possible).

Thanks very much for any of your help.

Wow man,

the transmission sounds like it could be failing but I'm no expert. Are there any unusual smells that you're noticing? Maybe check your clutch resevoir and make sure there's enough fluid. I've driven mine in northern WI on some very cold days with no garage and it performed superbly.

By the way, what school do you go to?

I'm actually a senior in high school right now if your wondering...I'm gonna have it checked out today with time...anyone recommend a good replacement clutch which isn't bad on the wallet? I'm not going to be doing anything other than an gutted up pipe and a cobb AP reflash...

Clutch squeak can be fixed with a lube job - just had mine done. As they said, it sounds like a clutch. The flywheel should be good at under 60K miles, but when the tech is in there, he will determine whether or not it needs to be resurfaced. You shouldn't HAVE to invest in a new one. In regards to the clutch fluid, check the manual and hop over to an auto parts store.

Clutch squeak can be fixed with a lube job - just had mine done. As they said, it sounds like a clutch. The flywheel should be good at under 60K miles, but when the tech is in there, he will determine whether or not it needs to be resurfaced. You shouldn't HAVE to invest in a new one. In regards to the clutch fluid, check the manual and hop over to an auto parts store.

You can't resurface the Dual Mass flywheel used in our cars. Well you can, but then it won't be within minimum specs and then it will need to be replaced anyway. So just be prepared to replace it with the clutch. On most other car the flywheel would just need to be resurfaced, but ours is not one of them. The slippage at the end of the clutch's life usually does a good job of blueing the flywheel. I will try to find a picture of mine at 40K and post it for reference. It was totally blued and chewed.

Let's kick this pig!

hmm...oh well I guess I've got some money to spend asap...would I need to have a subaru dealer replace the clutch or can I just get a good muffler shop to do it?

wow...$699 for a clutch and flywheel...how long do you think I can hold out like I am?

You can get it done at the dealer for about $545 for labor and fluids. I wouldn't have a MUFFLER shop do anything to my tranny. I might however have a local Transmission shop take a look at it and give me a quote. The local shops were actually higher than the dealer for the install here.

How long you can go depepnds upon how bad it's slipping andhow long it has been doing it. I made it for another 3 months on mine after the initial slippage, but I don't beat my car unless I'm at the drag strip. Mine just kept going and going and going with just a little slip when I'd open it up all the way.

I finally put my clutch out of my misery at the dragsrip in Sept. On the first run it slipped a little, on the second run it slipped more and on the third run it just let go when I shifted from 1st to 2nd. After that I let it cool down for a 1/2 hour and drove it 40 miles home no problem. Some will last for months and some will last for days. You just never know. :iam:

I just collected the parts and had them sitting on the shelf waiting for the failure day so I wouldn't have to order them after it failed.

Let's kick this pig!

• 3 weeks later...

oooook, a few days without my car and $1100 later its back on the road and not slipping...but is it normal for it to be a lot jerkier than before? I mean from before it started slipping? or maybe its just my driving that is doing it....I dont know, but it catches REAL HARD when starting from a stop...can't wait for it to be broken in and having the ability to WOT...not having that chance is what really makes it tempting hahah

anyway if someone can chime into my thing with the jerky-ness and the hard grabbing let me know, im just being careful is all

Archived