LegacyGT.com

Some winter logs and EGT concern

Legend

Patm=12.1 (Denver, 5300ft)

Ambient=35f, IATs in the 40's

Stage 2 (Titek UP, Perrin catted DP, SPT CBE, Enginuity tune with at least a month since flashing)

Gas pump 91 winter

I haven't logged or flashed in over a month and wanted to see how the car was doing. I logged WOT runs in 2nd (twice), 3rd (3 times), 4th, and 5th. I also did two runs through the gears.

Overall I am very happy with these logs! No knock at all in these WOT runs, full advance throughout.

BUT, I logged EGT's for the first time and they seem really, really low. In all of 30 minutes of spirited WOT runs and some regular driving in between, the highest EGT I ever saw was 1040 degrees. In fact, in most of my WOT runs the EGT tops out in the low-mid 900's.

If I am just cruising around the EGT is at 698 (or less, since that is the minimum recorded temperature apparently) and ventures into the 700's and 800's on occasion.

Are these EGT's too low??

I'm attaching a single log, which has 4 logs in it (2nd, 3rd, 4th gears and a run through the gears) Damn, I forgot to log engine load.

Logs.pdf

My '05 LGT

My '07 Supercharged Shelby

You can calculate load from MAF and RPM. It's not as accurate as the ecu load but it's close enough.

The EGT does seem pretty low. The only time that I had ever logged EGT, I had a cat in the uppipe. The cat tends to reheat the exhaust gases so the EGT with a cat will be higher. Still... yours is really low. I'ld be interested in hearing what other people have.

BTW, how did you correct your shift knock?

I still haven't corrected the shift knock. About 40-50% of my "run through the gears" logs look pretty clean like the one posted. I did 2 such logs this a.m., and the other one pulled KC-6 and -4 going into 2nd and into 3rd. I have tip-in maxing at 6000 or so and will look into it more in the spring once the winter fuel is gone. I also have the advance at +4 and shortened delay so timing gets cleaned up quickly when I do get shift knock, FWIW.

My '05 LGT

Hmm, well I think the OP's probe has seen better days then and it is probally on its way out. There is no way the exhaust gas would be that cool an actually be making good power.

Agreed. I'm not cheap but I don't like wasting money. Should it be replaced?

My '05 LGT

I would say not until you return to stock, it is pretty useless from a tuning standpoint. Just disable the associated check engine codes and pull it.

+1. I removed the EGT when I swapped out the stock UP and just did the resistor trick.

I did get a code on Christmas:

from http://www.legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=50604 I posted on 12/25

I've never thrown a CEL before but did today. Got home from our Christmas visits and looked up code P0546. Looks like high EGT's? EDIT: turns out low EGT's, not high

Conditions: Car had been running for 20 min, had been cruising slow and steady for 10 minutes straight in 5th gear at constant 2600-2800 when light came on. Ambient temp in the 20's, snowy highway but decent traction.

Mods: Titek UP, Perrin DP, SPT CBE, Stage 2 enginuity tune

I'll do some more searching... A brief search for this code revealed some discussion of a resistor mod... I haven't done any resistor mod.

I am a little baffled... maybe I should log EGT's in similar conditions?

So that's why I logged EGT yesterday. I suppose I won't worry about the EGT sensor, which looks to be failing. I will disable the following CEL's and not replace the EGT sensor.

- P0546 (EGT SENSOR CIRCUIT HIGH)

- P0545 (EGT SENSOR CIRCUIT LOW)

- P1312 (EGT SENSOR MALFUNCTION)

Lemme know your thoughts if you think this is a bad plan. Thanks.

My '05 LGT

I would try removing it and plugging the hole with a bolt. This would remove the risk of it breaking apart and destroying the turbo.

Yup. Better safe then sorry. IIRC, you should be able to wiggle the EGT out without uninstalling the UP.

• 1 month later...
I use a very reputable tuner for my supra and he says egt's are basically useless. He does'nt use them at all which sucked because I bought one drilled my manifolds collector and installed one then wired it directly into my ecu for nothing. Now I have a potential leak spot on my manifold.

I use a very reputable tuner for my supra and he says egt's are basically useless. He does'nt use them at all which sucked because I bought one drilled my manifolds collector and installed one then wired it directly into my ecu for nothing. Now I have a potential leak spot on my manifold.

Archived