LegacyGT.com

My friend taught me a trick to launch from a roll

Break Beat Zen

On of my budies used to drive a 1st gen AWD eclipse and he tuaght me a trick to make your launch just as hard from a roll as you can from a stop. Bring your car up to where 1st gear peaks (should be 30mph) and shift to second maintaining the 30mph. When your ready to launch push the clutch in and redline line it then drop the clutch out. It gets the turbo spooling and you take of like crazy. I raced my friend using this technic in his fox body mustang that ran a 13.7 at the track. We were dead even the whole time until we shut down at about 100-110. My car is still bone stock too. He couldnt belive what just happened.:cool:

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

BBZ - you do realize that that high speed spool-up/drop technique is sending massive torque shockwaves through your drivetrain right? Yes it will get you to the upper register quicker but at what cost in the present and the future of your vehicle. A few more spoolup/drops and you should be able to wave bye-bye to your clutch. Just so you know.

JM - owner of the known universe of emoticons. Got a really good laugh out of that one.

SBT

- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

Oh jeez that is a very good trick, I wonder how long it took him to figure that out, I mean with all the steps and driving talent involved in such a trick.

'05 Black Legacy GT Wagon 5-spd

'02 Topaz/Black 330Ci 5-spd

Drift Ryder's School of Rally Arts, coming to an Australia near you.

BBZ - you do realize that that high speed spool-up/drop technique is sending massive torque shockwaves through your drivetrain right? Yes it will get you to the upper register quicker but at what cost in the present and the future of your vehicle. A few more spoolup/drops and you should be able to wave bye-bye to your clutch. Just so you know.

JM - owner of the known universe of emoticons. Got a really good laugh out of that one.

SBT

Yeah I know it puts allot of stress on it but I bought the car to go fast and have fun. If the clutch breaks, oh well! I'll put something better in it. I'm not afraid to have fun with my car. Oh and 05LegacyGT330Ci since you posted such a smart-ass comment you must be the best driver in the world. :rolleyes:

Actually, brake boosting would work better I bet.

On a 5MT? How would this work? Just curious

BBZ - These are great cars to have fun with, more so than anything we've seen in the USDM Legacy line, previous turbo models included. I was really expressing concern about the driveline shock to the clutch certainly, but also to the entire driveline including the transmission and diffs.

What happens when you upgrade your clutch to take the shock and now the whole driveline absorbs the spoolup/drop? No one knows for sure how much these systems can take so, if it's okay with you, would you mind your car being the test mule and let us know how it all comes out? I for one would be interested in the results.

SBT

Go to WOT while left foot braking to keep you at the same speed. Time so you're not heatsoaking your IC.

So you're essentially "loading" the whole system at this point? Engine - to get into turbo sweet spot, slipping the clutch - to enable spool up, and brakes to keep acceleration it in check while the engine spools. I'm guessing 1-2 seconds overall and 1st gear as in BBZ's scenario - shifting immediately to 2nd.

BTW - what's the leading cause of heatsoak (in this scenario)?

SBT

On a 5MT? How would this work? Just curious

BBZ - These are great cars to have fun with, more so than anything we've seen in the USDM Legacy line, previous turbo models included. I was really expressing concern about the driveline shock to the clutch certainly, but also to the entire driveline including the transmission and diffs.

What happens when you upgrade your clutch to take the shock and now the whole driveline absorbs the spoolup/drop? No one knows for sure how much these systems can take so, if it's okay with you, would you mind your car being the test mule and let us know how it all comes out? I for one would be interested in the results.

SBT

Yeah, i will post the results from any mods i do if you're interested. I have been looking at the Cobb tuning web site and i will probably stick with them for most of my performance needs. So far no one around my town expects the Legacy to be fast untill its too late.:) I know this motor has lots of potential it just needs to be unlocked. Being that the car uses OBDII, any bolt on mods will still need tuning so ECU doesn't freak out and that can get expensive but thats the name of the game I guess.

So you're essentially "loading" the whole system at this point? Engine - to get into turbo sweet spot, slipping the clutch - to enable spool up, and brakes to keep acceleration it in check while the engine spools. I'm guessing 1-2 seconds overall and 1st gear as in BBZ's scenario - shifting immediately to 2nd.

BTW - what's the leading cause of heatsoak (in this scenario)?

SBT

Slip clutch? Why?

You get heatsoak from hot compressed air from the turbo at what probably is a low air speed. Hopefully you're starting with a cold intercooler, if you persist at WOT you're going to heat it up until you reach a steady-state that will be hotter than from off-boost. You really want a boost gauge so you know when you peak, but I'd guess about 1 second.

Slip clutch? Why?

You get heatsoak from hot compressed air from the turbo at what probably is a low air speed. Hopefully you're starting with a cold intercooler, if you persist at WOT you're going to heat it up until you reach a steady-state that will be hotter than from off-boost. You really want a boost gauge so you know when you peak, but I'd guess about 1 second.

I presumed that the clutch would have to slip (albeit less than BBZs spool/drop) just because engine speed was increasing but the brakes were holding the driveline in check at that given speed. Seemed logical that something would be slipping somewhere.

I thought that's what you meant by the potential for heatsoak in this scenario.

SBT

I wouldn't call 30mph a 'rolling start'. More like, 'let's play smoke the ricer that just pulled behind me' speed. I had a few snappy comments, but..... I think the only trick here is the one that got pulled on Break Beat Zen
What you said made no sense at all! So then what would you call a "rolling start"? By the way did you notice that I used quotation marks jackass? Quotation marks are what you use when quoting what someone said not an ('). If your idea of a ricer is a mid to high 13 second mustang then your out look on the world of motor sports is vastly skewed. You may pick on some riced out Honda but I look for something worth my gas.

Guest *Jedimaster*
Gentlemen, please let's not argue. It's a well known, well authenticated fact, beyond debate that the number one cause of heat soak is not installing your computer fan under the intercooler in the proper direction. Only getting soapy water in your intercooler is worse than that!

Gentlemen, please let's not argue. It's a well known, well authenticated fact, beyond debate that the number one cause of heat soak is not installing your computer fan under the intercooler in the proper direction. Only getting soapy water in your intercooler is worse than that!
You have to put the fan UNDER the intercooler so it sucks in fresh air from the outside. Also, I am currently developing a hood scoop plug so I won't melt my intercooler anymore whilst washing my car...

05LegacyGT330Ci since you posted such a smart-ass comment you must be the best driver in the world. :rolleyes:

This is true I'm glad you know this and now can fully respect my grand wisdom.

'05 Black Legacy GT Wagon 5-spd

'02 Topaz/Black 330Ci 5-spd

Drift Ryder's School of Rally Arts, coming to an Australia near you.

Guest *Jedimaster*
This is true I'm glad you know this and now can fully respect my grand wisdom.

Indeed, we could all learn a thing or two from 05legacygt330ci. You must be a smart n00b to realize this.

I'm sorry everyone...I was assuming people had general knowladge of terms. Like "rolling start". If you've ever read a car mag, rolling start is 5mph.

I'm starting to get worried about my intercooler...I don't think i'm gonna wash my car anymore or drive it in the rain. And the idea of an IC sprayer, yeah, throw that out the window.

(Updated 8/22/17)

2005 Outback FMT

Running on Electrons

I'm sorry everyone...I was assuming people had general knowladge of terms. Like "rolling start". If you've ever read a car mag, rolling start is 5mph.

I'm starting to get worried about my intercooler...I don't think i'm gonna wash my car anymore or drive it in the rain. And the idea of an IC sprayer, yeah, throw that out the window.

WHy IC sprayer and put your IC at risk when there are FANS? :confused:

Archived