LegacyGT.com

max power=stock tranny

boostedsubbygt

As AKLGT mentioned, is the car a 5MT or a 5EAT? Whether the tranny lasts depends ALOT on how you drive it. If you want to rev it redline and sidestep the clutch or brake torque an automatic at ever stoplight neither tranny will last even with stock power. Sensibly driven, IMHO the 5MT is capable of holding up to about 400wtq, maybe a bit more. The 5EAT is good for up to 400wtq at the most if the valve body is upgraded, a tranny cooler is added and good fluid is used. Both are be run with more power without instantly imploding, but don't expect it to last forever.

As for the clutch on the 5MT that is very open to debate. My clutch had over 50% life left at 36K miles, with the vast majority of those miles modded at Stage 2 and about 5K miles with around 400wtq. My flywheel and pressure plate looked perfect. I replaced the clutch in SnoDork's car when it had over 70K miles on it and it too looked great. I've also changed clutches in other LGT's with 20K miles that were beat up. Moral of the story, it's all in the driver. Slip the clutch excessively or generally drive like an idiot and it won't last. Drive well and the stock clutch will hold quite a bit of power and last as well.

I would say the transmission can hold as much as the engine can hold with stock internals. Which is debatable, but around 380wtq/whp+ is when the engine is very borderline and you have to monitor things closesly. If you're planning on putting out that much power be prepared to pay for both the block and the trans.
06 TB EVO IX SE stock turbo monster subaru hater :lol:

I would say the transmission can hold as much as the engine can hold with stock internals. Which is debatable, but around 380wtq/whp+ is when the engine is very borderline and you have to monitor things closesly. If you're planning on putting out that much power be prepared to pay for both the block and the trans.

That is pretty much on point. For both the 5MT and the stock block, if you keep it around 375whp/375wtq you'll have most of the OEM longevity IF well tuned AND sensibly driven.

I love threads like this for people like me, who would be extremely happy with around 250 whp/tq. Really shows that this is a great car to do some simple modifications on (AP and exhaust for power) and have a fairly worry free life.

Joe

That is pretty much on point. For both the 5MT and the stock block, if you keep it around 375whp/375wtq you'll have most of the OEM longevity IF well tuned AND sensibly driven.

so whats the right upgrade combo for tranny with 400+?

i know they make shift kits but how do you actually build up a tranny without replaceing it ??

sry if thats side tracking...

Archived