LegacyGT.com

05 Lgt 5mt 3rd Gear Gone? Is This Normal?

branab3

On Dec 17 2007 I bought a 2005 legacy GT man. 5 spd. with 28,000 mi. After driving it with the salesman, I took it home and gave it a "real" test drive and immediatley 3rd gear was grinding everytime I went into 3rd at rpm's above 3000. If shifted very slowly, everything was ok. I called the dealership and they recommended a local Subaru Dealership. Thankfully, everything was covered under warranty, and when they were in it, they also discovered that the clutch assy was shot also, pressure plate, clutch and flywheel! The service advisor informed me that: "who ever owned this car before you really enjoyed it!" They had to replace all synchros and the 3rd and 4th gears, all kinds of bearings and seals also. Hey, let's face it, this is a pretty fast and cool car, but how much abuse would it take to do that kind of damage in this short of time? I am sure I can imagine what it takes to create these problems, but I want to know about the Subaru Legacy. Are they that delicate or did it really get beat bad? This only my second Subaru my first being a 93 Imprezza L wagon AWD. It provoked me to buy this car, otherwise I have been a Honda guy from day one, even raced SCCA and another car in NHRA sport compact class. One I drove, the other (NHRA) was my Ex-wife. Please give me some feedback about common service problems affiliated with this car. Thanks and I am glad to be a new member!

I think there is also a possibility of a faulty clutch. Complaints about clutch are common, usually related to the stick. But at least one member (tytek) lost a gear (or more) due to a faulty clutch that I believe was not disengaging fully.

LGT transmission is JDM non-RA STI transmission. It's pretty strong box, stronger than 5spd in WRX.

Thank you for the response guys, I don't plan on racing or even "ricing" this car. If I do anything to it, it will go un-noticed until the throttle is down. I use this car for business so I don't want to obscure the vehicle's exterior, but to have a little more umph is always nice! I am kind of an "Old fool from the old skool" even though I am only 35. I have had roots in the sport compact scene stretching back to the early 90's in Ohio. In Cali, I am sure this trend started much earlier. I have a bunch of other questions about my new cool car, but I will post those in the appropriate forums.

Archived