LegacyGT.com

Dealer tries to talk me out of synthetic oil

So i bring my car in for an oil change at 16,*** miles and i have been using M1 5W-30 since about 9K miles. Last 2 oil changes i used m1 and i did them myself but since today is so cold and i don't feel like changing my oil i went to the dealer.

I said i wanted synthetic oil and the tech tried to say that its not needed in the cars and not recommended. I'm like ok why? Syenthic has proven to be better and i used regular oil for the first 9K miles.

Sounds like the dealer is either trying to get you in for more services per year or they make more on conventional oil rather then the M1 which i paid 7.95/qt for. The dealer service is such a scam.

They look for people who have no idea about there cars and dont even do routine oil changes like the woman who was next to me and had a fuel smell issue but the woman couldn't even think of doing an oil change but the service mgr said her dipstick was so low. These are the kind of people they look for.

Synthetic oil is better if you do a lot of short driving with a lot of cold starts since it has a better viscosity range. This means that the fuel consumption will go down - can do a 10% difference. So to save money you have to do the math - or test drive.

If you drive long distances between each stop the difference between a synthetic oil and a mineral oil is not noticeable. But regardless of oil it is important to change it at the specified intervals - or more often depending on driving conditions.

One important difference is that if you live in an area where the temperature is in an extreme range you should go for the synthetic oil because it will put a lot less strain on the engine both in cold weather and in hot weather. And the cold starts will be a lot easier. A mineral oil can become like molasses at very low temperatures and still be too thin at high temperatures.

And actually - it's usually not easy to find pure mineral oil today - most oil you can buy is semi-synthetic.

453747.png

Our local dealer advertises a "premium" oil change which includes Mobil1 as the upgrade over the standard oil. Maybe things are different in Canada?

Sounds like a winning combo.

I would love to see the heads of a motor that runs standard oil as opposed to synthetic after 30K miles. Bet you can tell the difference.

Sounds like a winning combo.

I would love to see the heads of a motor that runs standard oil as opposed to synthetic after 30K miles. Bet you can tell the difference.

I've always run standard oil... the key really is how often you change the oil... I had one car that I pulled the head at 116,000 miles (standard oil its entire life), the metal was still the exact silver color and I had no leakage through the valve seals. I changed it religiously at 3,000 miles though.

I saw another motor with just over 100,000 miles on it, the inside of the head was stained a yellowish-brown color and it smoked on startup after sitting for awhile (valve seals). The guy ran synthetic, but probably changed it less often.

I have noticed that the LGT's oil seems to get black and smelly really fast (at around 2k miles)

Yeah - Mississauga (Ontario) Subaru is all out for Synth. Selling M1 and Motul and what not. btw Synth oil change is > $90. Since i am travelling to Buffalo i get it done at there for 1/5th the cost. Even the M1 jug is half the cost it is here.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived