LegacyGT.com

Interesting observation today...

While I was driving slow prob 3mph, I applied the E-Brake and heard a substantial clunk. The sound is kinda of like hitting pvc pipes toegther. I did it several times at it's very consistent. Is this normal? I've used e-brakes before and I never heard or felt this before.

Any thoughts?

While I was driving slow prob 3mph, I applied the E-Brake and heard a substantial clunk. The sound is kinda of like hitting pvc pipes toegther. I did it several times at it's very consistent. Is this normal? I've used e-brakes before and I never heard or felt this before.

Any thoughts?

you ever pulled the ebrake on an awd car before? theoretically that power has to go somewhere when those wheels lock.

dunno man. i have never in my life pulled the ebrake outside of extra braking while being parked.

Thats the funny thing, i was tyring to locate the squeel I'm hearing at low speeds. I'm thinking the brakes where just touching the rotors and causing this tone. I was applying the e-brake very slow listening for the squeel pitch changes. The wheels never locked up:confused:

Curious if others have found this to be normal or not?

It's normal on most LGTs, because we have a drum/rotor setup in the rear. When you pull on the e-brake, it presses the shoes again the drums, causing a clunk sound at first.

FYI:

Brake pedel - rotors

E-brake - drums

My wife's balls are delicious.

I used to hear that every once in a while when I'd engage the ebrake at standing stil when parking the car. I dismissed it as a symptom of the e-brake not being used often. Sure enough, it's been a year since I've last heard it and I use it every time I have to park the car on an incline, as I'm not comfortable with the weight of it resting on the tranny.

I always leave the car in gear (usually reverse, sometimes 1st) and pull the ebrake. Perhaps it was just the Nissan I drove before, but my mechanic told me (after readjusting the ebrake for the 3rd time) that if you don't use it on a regular basis, it may not hold 100%. There's a self tightening mechanism there or sth. Not sure how it is on the Legacy though. But it's become a habit of mine, and I always leave the car in gear and use the ebrake as well.

i always park in second. dont know why second, just do. but i would at least park in a gear. good habit so you know when you park on a hill you will be in gear.

i too put it in second and e brake. and i was not aware that the e brake was drum style. learn something new everyday.

History does not entrust the care of freedom to the weak or timid

People sleep peacefully at night cause rough men stand ready to do violence on there behalf

Does anyone actually leave their Manual transmission Legacy in gear while parked? I only ever use the parking brake as I tend to forget the car is in gear when I start. Wouldn't wanna go through the dining room wall.

Will a legacy even start without the clutch in?

As a habit I always leave it in first gear, but when on a hill I pull the handbrake and release the brake pedal so the hand brake grabs before I release the clutch. That way at least it feels like the transmission is acting as more of a backup rather than supporting the weight of the car.

Any thoughts?

When I bang my head o the wall, I get a funny clunk too, tried it several times and it's very consistant :confused:

Archived