LegacyGT.com

06 lgt 5eat AP stage 1 woes

ArcTec34

living far away from a decent tuner such as the one you mentioned, is a TDC e-tune close enough? or should i really just go get it pro-tuned by dave brown?

etune should be fine. you're just stg 1, so I don't think it's necessary to do a custom tune unless it's required to rid yourself of the cut off.

Wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle yeah!!!

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply
living far away from a decent tuner such as the one you mentioned, is a TDC e-tune close enough? or should i really just go get it pro-tuned by dave brown?

get a pro-tune. use who ever you want. i would recommend staying away from AL Fried at ICS in Conn. you wont get the full benefits from an e-tune. those tunes are conservative and a general map. every car is different and should be pro-tuned. Dave is a great guy. he owns a subaru dealership, an autox guy etc. he also flies in Clark Turner twice a year for tuning. imo Clark is the best subaru tuner in the country. so Dave has vast knowledge. he also has was one of the first ecutek tuners in the country. again go to who ever you want, but go to some one rather than an e-tune

MR DP is $200 shipped or gut your stock DP, 15 minutes and you're done.

I am running gutted pipes with a TDC stage 2 map, car runs very strong, very little hp is left on the table when you run gutted pipes.

This sounds like a rev limiter problem..a custom tdc map could fix the issue.

I am running gutted pipes with a TDC stage 2 map, car runs very strong, very little hp is left on the table when you run gutted pipes.

it's not a rev limiter problem. the 5eat shifts at 6500 rpm. it's a boost issue for the m/s between shifts

There is table referred to by the opensource guys as the Rev Limit Fuel Resume. It was added a few months ago when they were modifying the roms for flat footed shifting (manual transmissions).

When you hit the rev limit at wot, you're probably around 11 to 12 psi on a stage 1 tune. The stock rev limit fuel resume is about 9 psi. That means that once you hit the rev limit, the fuel is cut and won't be restored until boost pressure drops to 9 psi.

Have your tuner bump this up to 12 psi and you should be good to go. I don't know if this table is in the Cobb AP, but Cobb added flat footed shifting recently so it should be there.

just about to say this, OP has described it perfectly.

been there done that. I ran gutted stockers in 06 w/ TDC stg 2 maps. and you know what, there is power left on the table with gutted pipes. The bends and small pipes are not going to flow as well as a true 3" TBE. This was proven last year when I ran my gutted pipes with CBE. couldn't get past 13.19 at the track. I picked up a cheap MR 5MT DP (on my 5EAT) and after much denting and hammering, managed to get it to somewhat fit (well enough to get to the track) where I pulled a 12.93 with the only difference being the 3" DP (with a dent the size of a softball mind you) and a LW crank pulley. weather and track almost being equal. Swapped the beat up mangled DP for a custom fit one and squeaked my time to 12.86, also similar weather at the same strip. So, there is power left on the table with just gutting the pipes, however I will say I was very happy with my extremely inexpensive stg 2 set up I ran for over a year.

Wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle yeah!!!

been there done that. I ran gutted stockers in 06 w/ TDC stg 2 maps. and you know what, there is power left on the table with gutted pipes. The bends and small pipes are not going to flow as well as a true 3" TBE. This was proven last year when I ran my gutted pipes with CBE. couldn't get past 13.19 at the track. I picked up a cheap MR 5MT DP (on my 5EAT) and after much denting and hammering, managed to get it to somewhat fit (well enough to get to the track) where I pulled a 12.93 with the only difference being the 3" DP (with a dent the size of a softball mind you) and a LW crank pulley. weather and track almost being equal. Swapped the beat up mangled DP for a custom fit one and squeaked my time to 12.86, also similar weather at the same strip. So, there is power left on the table with just gutting the pipes, however I will say I was very happy with my extremely inexpensive stg 2 set up I ran for over a year.

WOW..that is pretty significant.

I remember seeing some dyno plots of gutted vs aftermarket pipes..the difference was about 5hp on a plain ole stage 2 LGT setup. When you step up to a larger turbo the restriction becomes more and more apparent.

although the OP hasn't experienced the problem in a straightline, i have. it's hit or miss when it happens. do it enough times the ecu pulls timing and you make stock like or less than stock boost

how long until the ECU changes up timings and therefore screw my boost?

yeah so here's the response from COBB: he was referring to how this only happened twice and it was going around slight corners, and because this never happened in a straight line

"I don't believe you are having an issue with th EMS. I believe your issue is with the TCU or Transmission Control Unit. The AccessPORT only programs the ECU, engine control unit. When did you install the AccessPORT on your vehicle? If it was recently, then I would suggest you simply drive the vehicle and allow the TCU to learn your driving style."

yeah so here's the response from COBB: he was referring to how this only happened twice and it was going around slight corners, and because this never happened in a straight line

"I don't believe you are having an issue with th EMS. I believe your issue is with the TCU or Transmission Control Unit. The AccessPORT only programs the ECU, engine control unit. When did you install the AccessPORT on your vehicle? If it was recently, then I would suggest you simply drive the vehicle and allow the TCU to learn your driving style."

the TCU wont learn. i just spoke with Ecutek and they told me the problem is an easy fix. my problem is no tuner paid the $5k fee for the software. Ekutek said the problem is the rev boost resume

talked to Christian from Cobb, he isn't sure that raising the "rev limit fuel resume" boost level thing will solve the problem, but he's willing to give it a shot. He's working on getting me a firmware update right now that i need to perform to my accessport...

I happens to my car too. It does not happen from a dead stop when accelerating at WOT. It only happens when I am at a slow roll before punching it. If I am rolling AND punch it AND the transmission drops down to 1st gear, I will hit the fuel cut every single time. I have now learned to just hit the + button on my steering wheel if I punch it from a roll.

mine happens from a dead stop and on a roll. we shouldn't have to deal with any of this. i think the VB upgrade will help. cuz if it were only the rev limit fuel resume, it would happen at every gear change. i think the VB upgrade causing quicker shifts will help. when Ecutek logged my car, they said the 1-2 shift was taking a fraction of a second too long.

yeah, im not ready to get the VB upgrade, too much $$!!!! so the guy from Cobb is going to send me a redone map with a raised fuel limit resume. but i still think ill have the problem. this ONLY happens after i take a turn, etc. ugh. so im stumped.

yeah, im not ready to get the VB upgrade, too much $$!!!! so the guy from Cobb is going to send me a redone map with a raised fuel limit resume. but i still think ill have the problem. this ONLY happens after i take a turn, etc. ugh. so im stumped.

mine started just on turns. then turns and on the roll. now from a stand-still, roll and corners :spin:

shyt mang. =( thanks for the good news. then i really hope this fixes things..

i hope so too. you're in a better position then me. at least you have cobb. i have ecutek. tuners aren't willing to lay out the $5k ecutek wants for just the software. now i am stuck with a locked ecu and our problem in common :lol: i either have to drive to quebec to get flashed to stock or buy a new ecu.

Archived