LegacyGT.com

Recommendations - New Tires

V-Power

Not cheaping out on the only thing that connects you to the road is a good idea.

However, there is a nice exception to the rule:

$73 from tire rack -- General Exclaim UHP (215/45/17)

Made by Continental in Germany so its of good quality

Far, far better dry grip than any $73 tire has any right to (Better than any no-season, and many summers, but something like an RE050A Pole Position is miles better)

Wet grip is better than any other tire I've driven (including some very high end tires)

Good stuff.

/Its not cheaping out if they're good tires that happen to be cheap

Seems a number of members have had good results w/ the Kumho SPT as well. It's a little more expensive than the General, $88 vs. $73 @ Tire Rack, but the SPT did win head-to-head against the Exclaim in one of their tests.

^^ +1, I have the 512's and they are a very, very good bang for the buck...912's are supposedly superior for about the same price.

^ All except wintry-precip. conditions. Under such conditions, the 512s are actually better.

This was reported first from CR, but look around here on our own Forums, and you'll see confirmation from fellow .com'ers.

Based on the winter performance of my 512s, I would not recommend the 912s for those who must run them as a true all-season setup or as their selective winter setup, if the weather in their area sees significant wintry precip.

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

'16 Outback, '16 WRX, 7th Subaru Family

^^ good info.

I drove my 512's only one time in light snow (believe it or not, I usually don't take the LGT out in the white stuff) and they handled a lot better than I expected them to. I think the wet and dry performance is very good too...

^ NP. :) Glad to assist!

The 512s are a wonderful overall tire, particularly when price is a factor.

Treadwear can be an issue for those who log a lot of miles, though - and also, for the more aggressive drivers, the rather soft sidewall of the 512s (even the XL-rated ones) can be a disappointment, too.

I like the 512s because they combine excellent value with "95% daily-driven usability," particularly in terms of excellent highway-speed hydroplane resistance and good light snow/slush capabilities. Since I'm usually a very conservative driver, I felt that these tires did give me more than sufficiently usable performance, "95% of the time."

In terms of what I see as their weaknesses, the two listed above are starting points, as well as, unfortunately, wintry-precip. capability that's very limited when it comes to increasing snowfall amounts as well as on icy surfaces (although CR rated this tire as "good" when it came to ice-stops, I totally disagree).

One interesting thing that I did notice when I switched from these tires to my current winter setup is that whereas on our LGTs, these tires are very quiet, they are extremely loud on my wife's WRX (to which I've cross-fitted these tires). On the plus side, they seem to perform, particularly in terms of the wintry-precip. scenarios, noticeably better on her WRX than they ever did on my LGT.

Go figure!

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

'16 Outback, '16 WRX, 7th Subaru Family

Check out the tire rack..

Dunlop Direzza Sport Z1 extreme summer

Dunlop Direzza DZ101 - high performance

Fuzion ZRI- high perofrmance all season

Fuzion HRI - all season performance

all should be under or near the $100 mark.. I have listed them in my order of preference.

I currently have a set of the SPort Z1s... I have them as street tires for my track car which is a BMW M3. I have used them on the street a little bit and also on the track for a sesson or two as well as an autocross. Good street tire .. good performance dry and wet...

Check out the reviews on line at the tire rack

:stupid: j/k RobE :lol:

But seriously. AGREED! I had a set of them on my S4, and they are simply amazing. Inexpensive and high ratings.

For 8$ more per tire I'd rather get SPT's that tested quite a bit better.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/TireTestServlet?tireMake=General&tireModel=Exclaim+UHP&vehicleSearch=false&fromCompare1=yes&partnum=245WR7EUHP&tirePageLocQty=%26partnum%3D245WR7EUHP

• 2 months later...
^ I missed the ...less than $100 part. Try something Korean. Slung Bok 500's are good $ 42.50 @ Tirewrack

That's funny! Thanks for the laugh! I am being serious.

Rehab is for quitters.

Archived