LegacyGT.com

HID's Vs. Stock bulbs

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply
i am interested in HID's but, i have no clue what brand/model to buy because there are so many companies. What model/ brand are you using dsilby?? any others that have smooth install and look that good?

ApexCone is who I used and their kit was very easy to install. They are a vendor on here I belileve.

So I do have to disable the drl's. No way around that?

Yeah, you have to disable them. On 2005-2006 then 2008 cars as as simple as unplugging one clip. But I think in the 2007's you need to clip a wire or something. I'm not the one to ask about that because I don't know.

Dsilby - what temp are your bulbs?

Mine are 6000K. It's a tad more blue then the 4300K. 4300K is the color used for stock applications through manufacturers. If I had to do it all over again, I'd get 4300.

i am interested in HID's but, i have no clue what brand/model to buy because there are so many companies. What model/ brand are you using dsilby?? any others that have smooth install and look that good?

I'm running O-nex. But I highly recommend going with Pilot. Still very easy to install, they are all the same basic hook up. But Pilot has a very easy to deal with customer service. If you ever have a problem they'll take it back with no issues. When you're dealing with this kind of product a reputable company is important, IMO.

http://www.pilothid.com

Man that pattern looks bad. It makes me glad I took the time to do HID right and did a retro :lol:

Not everyone has the time, talent, funds, and ambition to take on a full retro. While the gains of a full retro are obvious, so are those of a basic swap and at a very attractive price point and skill level, IMO.

ignore him, he'll go away.

Not everyone has the time, talent, funds, and ambition to take on a full retro. While the gains of a full retro are obvious, so are those of a basic swap and at a very attractive price point and skill level, IMO.

good response, again, doing a retro is a solution with the best results of course, but its also like saying, the best way to boost power from your engine is to do an full engine swap and rebuild rather than just bolt ons.

yes, the full swap/rebuild probably yields the best results, but not all of us have the materials, resources, time, know how to do it properly.

FYI, i have the McCullough 4600K kit installed into my stock projectors and i'm quite happy with the results. good color and the beam pattern is fine with me.

So I do have to disable the drl's. No way around that?

no and yes.

make your own wire harness or buy one so that the xenon system is powered directly off the batt and only triggered by your oem lows or drl. i would still wire a kit up with a harness that completely isolates all oem circuitry.

most will prob not have anything bad happen, but for $50 its good to know nothing will, and makes thing easy to troubleshoot if issues do arise. not fun or cheap to replace oem dash circuits or light switches in steering column.

cant vouch for kits but oem xenon parts can burn all day no problem and will prob last 1/2 to full life you own the car. mine have been acting as drl for over 2 years now.

and they do get hot! just wont be melting anything.

proper wiring diagram in my retro guide with drl functionality , check sig

peace

MAYHEM

#122/22 STS NNJR SCCA

AUTOX4U.COM

XENON RETRO GUIDE

Man that pattern looks bad. It makes me glad I took the time to do HID right and did a retro :lol:

You know what. I'm so sorry it's not up to your standards. But when I drive the car down the street it looks great to me! I can't tell the difference between retro and $140 HID kits. I'm glad I don't have the eye's you have. If I did, I'd be driven crazy every time I drive the car I love. Also, I don't have that much money. All I could afford was the lease of a 2.5i. It's not that important to me to spend all the extra money for retro HID's, I'd rather use that money food.

bulbs were made wrong...gotta flip em.. so that the rod is facing down and not up

retro FTMFW

Actually, they were not made wrong. Some kits have the wire up and some have it down. Just depends on the kits.

hid-return-wire-up-down-h7.jpg.2f585a41d35ed9cbb16f82dd734959ae.jpg

I'd rather use the money for mods or food than a retro setup;). Me personally, I would have to pay someone for a retro, not to mention addiontal parts from an other vehicle. Spending in the ballpark of a grand on headlights has always seemed absurd. I'm not a perfectionist and having a perfect cutoff has never been that important to me, having a lot more light output is. This is my first time ever doing hids on a car I've owned and compared to stock, there is no comparison. For the 120$ I paid for my setup I couldn't ask for more for less money.

With the number of people here who have cleared their headlights, I'm surprised that the idea of doing a retro is so intimidating. Because really, once you've pulled the headlights apart, it's not a lot of work.

Price-wise, I picked up a set of RX330 projectors for ~$90, bulbs and ballasts can be found for ~$100-150. Of course, these are used prices, and may take a little patience to find the right deal, so I will agree that the cost and ease of availability may be a turn-off opposed to plug and play kits. However, I think the benefits certainly outweigh the costs.

I'd rather use the money for mods or food than a retro setup;). Me personally, I would have to pay someone for a retro, not to mention addiontal parts from an other vehicle. Spending in the ballpark of a grand on headlights has always seemed absurd. I'm not a perfectionist and having a perfect cutoff has never been that important to me, having a lot more light output is. This is my first time ever doing hids on a car I've owned and compared to stock, there is no comparison. For the 120$ I paid for my setup I couldn't ask for more for less money.

Very well said, I couldn't agree more. I'd rather put the extra money saved in a saving account. I turn the headlights on, they work, I see, PERFECT!

These drop in are a ton better than what I have seen on other cars, that being said there is still glare. Another member took his headlights apart and filled a hole that was allowing for most of the glare. Pics seemed to show it was drastically reduced. I would say if your going to just drop in HIDs it is at least worthwile to fill that hole.

These drop in are a ton better than what I have seen on other cars, that being said there is still glare. Another member took his headlights apart and filled a hole that was allowing for most of the glare. Pics seemed to show it was drastically reduced. I would say if your going to just drop in HIDs it is at least worthwile to fill that hole.

Are those rectangular holes fillable without totally disassembling the projector? I'm kinda scared to actually take that thing apart, knowing me it would never go back together correctly. I have yet to crack open the headlight itself..

Archived