LegacyGT.com

Wiper Heating Element

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I checked mine after my 7 minute ride home from the train station. Once I parked the car, I touched the wiper heat element with my hand...it was quite warm. So, no problem here. But I would never have thought to test it before reading this thread.

I had those frameless flex blades that contour to your windshield and they were freezing up real bad so I went with winter wiper blades I got from Walmart. Problem solved.

Dunno who might sell this product in the US to our winter bound American cousins but it appears to be the definitive answer to iced up wipers.

http://www.canadiantire.ca/browse/product_detail.jsp?FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=1408474396672419&bmUID=1198016957090&PRODUCT%3C%3Eprd_id=845524443285107&assortment=primary&fromSearch=true

some of you dont seem to understand. I know manufacuturers like to advertise that covering the metal parts with rubber will prevent ice build up. I do not have a problem with the metal parts, they are always free of ice buildup. The build up I get is on the acutal rubber blade that comes in contact with the window. Winter blades would not cure this problem because all winter blades are, are regular blades with rubbet covering the springs.

some of you dont seem to understand. I know manufacuturers like to advertise that covering the metal parts with rubber will prevent ice build up. I do not have a problem with the metal parts, they are always free of ice buildup. The build up I get is on the acutal rubber blade that comes in contact with the window. Winter blades would not cure this problem because all winter blades are, are regular blades with rubbet covering the springs.

well think of it as your driving a normal car, This is the first car I have seen with a windshield wiper deicer. all my other cars didnt have it and it was fine. Its a nifty accessory but not a necessity. also if you know your expecting snow or ice, when you park lift your wipers up.

Take note everyone, the de-icer on the SpecB is more powerful than the one on the regular GT. :lol:

I think they are more for when you have parked and the wipers freeze to the windshield, you can melt the ice while you warm up the car to avoid damaging the wiper motors and/or wiper blades when you try to use them if they are frozen to the windshield.

That is most likely why they have a timer on them, you use them once when you are getting everything warmed up.

The element may or may not be more powerful on the Spec. (:rolleyes:) but what I've noticed is that after the timer turns the element off, streaks of water will begin to appear across the windshield. Turn the element back on and the blades become pliable again giving a nice clean swipe. Probably helps somewhat to have the wipers on intermittent so that they rest on the heated area longer.

Heck, I've seen mist/steam coming off of them while in stop-and-go traffic after skiing. I'd say that's effective.

Maybe it's the spec.B lasers...

But I also think you may be missing the point of these guys, Carter. They aren't designed to keep the body of the wiper itself warm and free of ice, they are to keep them from getting stuck to the windshield while you are parked. That way, you don't have to leave your wipers sticking out away from your windshield when you go skiing like the rest of the non-Subaru dorks...

Ich bin echt viel netter, wenn ich nuechtern bin. Echt!

Do us 2.5i owners have wiper heating elements? I haven't noticed one, but then again, I've never looked.

look at where the wipers rest on your winshield. Do you see rust colored lines like the rear defroster lines? If you do, then yes you have them, if you don't, then no you don't.

• 1 month later...

Um...dumb question. I should probably RTFM, but what the hey. How exactly are the wiper defrosters turned on? Is it built in with the rear defrost, or is there a special switch?

Just call me "lazy guy who doesn't want to go get the manual" :)

There's a button to the left and below the steering wheel. It's the leftmost button in a cluster of three, though not all are always used. On the OBXT, there's just the wiper heating element switch, on the spec.B there is also the ON/OFF for VDC.

There's one button space that isn't used, between them. I guess that's reserved for the VTEC, yo!

Ich bin echt viel netter, wenn ich nuechtern bin. Echt!

Haha...I was wondering what that blank button was for. Reserved for the super-secret "Spec B VTEC Edition"

I dream of debadging my car and putting VTEC and Type R stickers all over it...maybe make up a nice Hondacurayota sticker to confuse people. And Northstar for good measure.

Past my bedtime, apologies for the inane paragraphs above. :redface:

edit: And thanks for the info, too!

are there any other car makers that have taht element under the front windshield wipers? I did a google search, all threads came back to Subaru. Is this a Subaru only thing like the parking light switch on the steering colum?

i think so. since i think they are smart enough to know that ppl who tend to buy awd vehicles will go where it is cold and snows.

other manufacturers i've seen only went with a steam option on the wipers. to melt the ice on the windshield.

Just to comment on the front windshield de-icer element, seems to work great for me so far. I leave it on until at least the the heater is blowing warm air and warms up the glass from the inside. It gets pretty warm in about 2 or 3 minutes.... that's up here in Canada!

I find the wiper heaters work some of the time, it's very dependent on the temp, type of snow and volume of snow.

Just an informal survey driving around for 2.5 winters, they work better than nothing but are short of a perfect solution.

I've never had to to clean off the wipers as I have had to occasionally in other carss.

^ The heating elements melt snow that has been swept from the windshield. Putting your wipers on an intermittent setting lets them sit longer on the element warming them thereby keeping the rubber pliable. As you wrote, I have not had to get out of the car to free the blades of ice as always have had to in other cars without the heated windshield. A clever gadget, IMHO.

Do us 2.5i owners have wiper heating elements? I haven't noticed one, but then again, I've never looked.

The "winter package" that was standard with 2.5i Ltds includes the heated wiper rest area and heated side mirrors. Mine has it. I don't know if it was an "option" with the 2.5i SE.

are there any other car makers that have taht element under the front windshield wipers? I did a google search, all threads came back to Subaru. Is this a Subaru only thing like the parking light switch on the steering colum?

Yes. Many Dodge Caravan/Plymouth Voyagers have the heated wiper rest area just like the Subarus. It must have been available with some kind of "winter package".

I have Valeo ULTIMATE Wiper Blades and according to them I can expect:

•All-weather/winter design offers resistance to cold weather conditions, no icing (metal parts perform better over the plastic parts used in other wiper blade designs)

+1 for Valeo blades.

This past weekend, I drove up 3 to snoq pass (now closed for avalanche work) in pretty good storms that left ice on my wiper arms but not on the blade itself. Blades worked great with and without the blade heater on. My scientific opinion (formed while sitting in the car for hours while people learned how to drive in snow) is that since the blades are really flexible, it helps break up any ice that starts to form. yes, I sat in the car for a long time this weekend.

Cheers,

Mike

I tell you what - my windshield wipers frozen 5 times over the 10 mile journey home. I should rephrase: I stopped 5 times to remove the ice from them. The heater element is nearly useless...or maybe...we should say this...it may keep the rubber blade itself ice free BUT the ice freezes the arm of the wiper blade so it can not move and touch the windshield.

^ I drove home in the same conditions. Older blades will perform poorly in cold weather. I noticed that after the timer turned the element off that cleaning my windshield became a much messier affair. Turn it back on and it was considerably better. IDOT was pouring tons of some sort of calcium pavement dryer all over the place tonight because the temps were low enough that salt was losing its effectiveness. That stuff is nasty to get off windshields because it dries water on that relatively warm surface almost immediately and the warmer the windshield is the worse the problem gets. I have also noticed over the years that it destroys wiper refills pretty quickly. BTW, I drove 40 miles home.

Wouldn't have wanted to be driving N-S in open country tonight. The snow blowing from the west really made for some bad visibility in the couple of open short stretches I drove in that direction.

Archived