LegacyGT.com

Highly modified Mitsubishi Evo VIII vs. LGT

Not a race, just a comparison. My friend from work has an Evo VIII that has upgraded turbo, intercooler, cams, clutch, etc.

I think it dyno'd 325 WHP on the heart-breaker in Austin (MZM). I know there are a couple guys on the board that got tuned there and they know that dyno reads low...about 20% lower than a dynojet so on a dynojet it is about 390 WHP. The numbers don't really tell the story though, I just wanted to set the background that the car is modified, used as a weekend track car and definitely not stock.

So yesterday it was wet and rainy in Austin, but my buddy REALLY wanted me to try out his car since he has gotten it back from MZM and had the turbo, intercooler and tuning done at MZM.

He drove it first and he nails it from a 5mph roll. I'm like, "WTF this car is freaking slow". Then 4,000 RPM hits, he's making full boost and just going in a straight line it breaks all 4 tires loose and we start heading down the road sideways! Remember wet roads. He shifts into second and it sounds like a gunshot when the BOV goes off and he is making full boost after the shift. Again all 4 break loose and we're a little sideways again. Awesome. Oh yeah besides the two of us there were 4 race wheels in his backseat because he is going to the track Sat (today) and he picked them up from storage. So it isn't like the car is empty or anything.

He pulls over and we switch. I was a little hesitant since it was wet but he was pretty insistent...

So my impressions of the Evo VIII as he has it setup.

1st. Modified clutch. VERY heavy. I had to calibrate myself a little but it wasn't too bad. I was able to start the car without stalling which I guess most people on their first drive aren't able to achieve. Chalk one up to the whacky clutch in the LGT. Honestly I liked the heavy clutch and I when the time comes I won't mind upgrading to a heavier clutch.

2nd. Okay, we're on the road. We pulled off on a side street so I was driving fairly sedate. With the large turbo and large turbo lag the car was very easy to drive. Shift at 3,000 and no drama. Which driving to get back to the main road I found that I liked the Evo VIII transmission/shifter. It was a little notchy/DSM like but what I did like about it was that 2nd was back and a little to the left of 1st. Shifting from 3rd to 4th was no problem and shifting from 3rd to second was distinctly different.

Point being that doing a money shift would be nearly impossible. Nice to things to know.

3rd. Finally we're on the main road. 1st in the rain is useless and only serves to get you to second. Turbo lag was there but redline is pretty high and as long as you stay over 4,000 RPM you have a LOT of power on tap. I shut it down in 3rd and drove a little more sedate again, didn't feel like getting busted. A quick downshift though and BAM full power again.

4th. Upgraded brakes and Kumho MXs. Even in the rain there was never a question about being able to stop.

5th. Stock or mildly upgraded expension. He is considering coil overs. Definitely stiffer than the LGT. I didn't mind driving it or the ride as much as I thought I would. Makes me a lot less nervous about upgrading to some Tien basics and getting a little stiffer ride on my LGT.

So in all, the car was VERY impressive. Much tighter than the LGT but also a lot more harsh and less comfortable to drive everyday. TONS of power, but with the large turbo there is some lag that you have to be aware of. On the track though he says that the car is great because you can keep it in its powerband and have as much power as you want. Finally I learned that a heavy clutch and firmer suspension isn't too bad and when it comes time to upgrade I will do so with confidence.

The car is VERY different from the LGT, especially in modified form. I found it easy to drive fast, but could see it being hard to live with every day. I prefer the LGT as a daily driver since it is easy to live with and can be tuned to be faster, handle a little better than the average car. The Evo VIII on the other hand is more like a track car that you can drive on the street. So the DNA is really different IMHO.

Next time we'll take it out when it is dry, on a little more secluded road and see what it can really do!

This was still throwing you back and we were breaking loose, I think I would have had to grab onto the rear wing as I got thrown through the rear window if it was dry out!

Here's the crazy part, he is at his second track weekend since he got the car tuned and he is already thinking of converting to E85.

He was very happy with the work MZM did. Very nice quality, they made sure he was really making max power under the curve, not just a dyno queen. I think they run about $90/hour for installs? If/when I ever modify my car I plan to take it there for tuning.

He is running a GT30R...he didn't want to be limited when he wants to go bigger.

I probably over-exaggerated the lag a little for dramatic effect. Yes, it is a little laggy but not somethng unbearable. That and as long as you know, have a MT and are conscious I believe it becomes a non-issue. The daily driver killer for me is that the car is very loud...I think he needs to swap out his muffler for something a little quieter, but it doesn't bother him at all.

He was very happy with his second track session and the extra power.

Archived