LegacyGT.com

30,000 Mile Service Disaster

How about getting your area SOA rep on this? We had a good one here awhile ago until he left.

And for into on overheating engines, do a google search and include the name pat goss. he's got a show on local tv and radio. pretty knowledegable

258k miles - Stock engine/minor suspension upgrades/original shocks/rear struts replaced at 222k/4 passenger side wheel bearings/3 clutches/1 radiator/3 turbos

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Some people wonder why I do most of my own work rather than take the car to a shop. Your experance is why. Going to professionals and paying $80 / hour for labor makes people think the people doing the work give a shit and / or know what they are doing. Not always the case, sadly.

You know it's stories like this that make me wonder. I'm thinking if you don't get any satisfaction from the dealer then how about finding out who his shop insurance carrier is and filing a claim directly with them? Anyone ever try this? I'm not sure how you'd go about finding out their ins. carrier....call the state licensing board for car dealers and ask????

Good luck with this and I agree with everybody about the Aluminum block and overheating....

PHOTOS:

No Coolant:

http://img518.imageshack.us/img518/752/lowcoolantzv4.jpg

Coolant Close-up:

http://img116.imageshack.us/img116/2342/lowcoolant2if6.jpg

Washer Fluid is low, but visible:

http://img146.imageshack.us/img146/2803/subaru30k006jv6.jpg

Power Steering Fluid (Low):

http://img530.imageshack.us/img530/6634/powersteeringsn5.jpg

Spots from washer fluid bath:

http://img225.imageshack.us/img225/7222/driedwasherfluidrl5.jpg

More spots:

http://img512.imageshack.us/img512/5673/driedwasherfluid2av0.jpg

Backwards Tire 1:

http://img337.imageshack.us/img337/9623/tireswa3.jpg

Backwards Tire 2:

http://img513.imageshack.us/img513/2492/tires2bl7.jpg

amazing!:eek: low fluids?? what a bunch of idiots.
258k miles - Stock engine/minor suspension upgrades/original shocks/rear struts replaced at 222k/4 passenger side wheel bearings/3 clutches/1 radiator/3 turbos

You are also missing the rubber cap for the valve.

Oh yeah, I meant to circle that. They charged me $7 for the valve stems and didn't even have the decency to give me all of the caps.

The more this sets in, the more I'm thinking of either contacting my insurance company or getting a lawyer.

I avoid dealerships like the plague. I had a #4 misfire that literally took 12 times for them to fix. first few times they kept resetting the system claiming they couldn't find anything. By the end, their resolution to the matter was to switch the spark plugs to see if that fixed the problem. FINALLY they replaced it.

+ 1 on that. I had a bum speedometer guage that took 4 visits to the dealer, even when I told them that it just needed to be replaced. Idiots. :rolleyes:

as i said, i'm very happy my service dept doesn't do that crap (in the past they had a poor reputation however, managed to hire better techs). Car is in today being looked at for some possible battery/alternator issues. So far, so good. then again, my husband's the service advisor and the techs who work on the car have built it into what it is today.
Wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle yeah!!!

If you're engine is burning coolant (check for white smoke out of your exhaust), I would demand a compression/cylinder leakdown test. The fact that your engine overheated may have caused your heads to warp or your head gasket to blow out.

+ 1 on that. I had a bum speedometer guage that took 4 visits to the dealer, even when I told them that it just needed to be replaced. Idiots. :rolleyes:

Don't feel bad, when I first got my LGT, the car would think the door was open making left hand turns (if someone was leaning into the right front door panel. It took the dealer 5 TIMES to adjust the door striker... the first three times they were adjusting it the wrong way :lol: those asshats :lol:

If you're engine is burning coolant (check for white smoke out of your exhaust), I would demand a compression/cylinder leakdown test. The fact that your engine overheated may have caused your heads to warp or your head gasket to blow out.

+1

I used to be a service advisor for Subaru/Mazda and this is waaaaay out of line. I would usually go with a customer over what was done that type of service so the service advisor should have seen something wrong.

What state are you in? (Importance of having the location filled out in your profile) ;)

+1

I used to be a service advisor for Subaru/Mazda and this is waaaaay out of line. I would usually go with a customer over what was done that type of service so the service advisor should have seen something wrong.

What state are you in? (Importance of having the location filled out in your profile) ;)

Illinois.

(See here: http://www.legacygt.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1562211&postcount=21)

It is pretty scary if the techs can get these tasks right.

What you had done is like Service Tech 101.

Make sure you take your time and include everything on your letter to SOA (pictures, times, dates, cost of parts and serv as well as the names of anyone you spoke to a the dealer and SOA).

I'm probably the only person that has Wu-Tang Clan and Paul McCartney on their mp3.:p

• 3 months later...

Update 04/06/08:

-After the original disaster(s), the coolant was filled properly by the shop foreman.

-They performed a dye test to check for any head gasket problems - no problem was found.

-Service manager took the problem seriously, had me meet with general manager. Both of them agreed to the seriousness of the issue and said they will make the situation right.

-After two more service visits, the original 30k service was complete.

-I demanded a refund for the original service, and after some arguing, they issued a check.

-I said that I won't accept the check until the vehicle is either a) replaced or b) inspected and warranted.

-Service technician was fired

-Service manager was fired (not sure why--he was incredibly helpful)

Fast forward 4 months:

-Filed a dispute with my credit card company for the original charge - they refunded me. (I didn't accept the dealership money)

-I met with a lawer, he said that no legal action can be taken until the vehicle is obviously damaged (i.e., destroyed).

-I called a legal service, said that they can't do anything because the car is under warranty.

-Filed a complaint with Illinois Attorney General - Pending

-General manager called me and said he will send a check for a refund if I consider the matter resolved. I declined.

-Filed a complaint with Better Business Bureau - Pending

Current issues:

-Nothing major -- 2,000 miles have been placed on the vehicle.

-I smell something burning every now and then.

-Coolant level has dropped a little bit, could be due to air pockets.

My desired resolution:

1)I would like the vehicle independently inspected for damage to the power train, including the cylinder heads of the engine.

2)I would like all necessary repairs performed at no cost to me and warranted for the life of the vehicle.

3)While the vehicle is inspected/repaired, I would like a loaner vehicle.

4)If the vehicle cannot be repaired, I would like it to be replaced or purchased for the original purchase price.

5)After the aforementioned resolutions, I will accept a full refund for the original cost of the service.

Does that sound fair? I've mentioned this three times in my Better Business Bureau complaint but none of those points have been addressed by the dealership.

Subaru of America has offered $1,500 towards a new vehicle, but that is the extent of their involvement. I have a case number with them but they said they can't exert any pressure on dealerships.

SOA isn't going to give you another vehicle (although they should). I would try to swing for a lifetime powertrain warranty.

Subaru of America shouldn't have to provide a lifetime power train warranty. It wasn't their mistake.

I have repeatedly asked for the vehicle to be independently inspected and warranted. If the GM is certain that nothing is wrong with the vehicle then an inspection shouldn't be a big deal. However, I have a feeling that he realizes the world of sh*t they will be in if someone takes a serious look at the power train.

Next on the list (this week):

-Write local television news stations

-Write letter to the editor in local paper

-Update Consumerist.com

-Estimate damages and sue in small claims court for max. $10,000

Update 04/06/08:

-After the original disaster(s), the coolant was filled properly by the shop foreman.

-They performed a dye test to check for any head gasket problems - no problem was found.

-Service manager took the problem seriously, had me meet with general manager. Both of them agreed to the seriousness of the issue and said they will make the situation right.

-After two more service visits, the original 30k service was complete.

-I demanded a refund for the original service, and after some arguing, they issued a check.

-I said that I won't accept the check until the vehicle is either a) replaced or b) inspected and warranted.

-Service technician was fired

-Service manager was fired (not sure why--he was incredibly helpful)

Fast forward 4 months:

-Filed a dispute with my credit card company for the original charge - they refunded me. (I didn't accept the dealership money)

-I met with a lawer, he said that no legal action can be taken until the vehicle is obviously damaged (i.e., destroyed).

-I called a legal service, said that they can't do anything because the car is under warranty.

-Filed a complaint with Illinois Attorney General - Pending

-General manager called me and said he will send a check for a refund if I consider the matter resolved. I declined.

-Filed a complaint with Better Business Bureau - Pending

Current issues:

-Nothing major -- 2,000 miles have been placed on the vehicle.

-I smell something burning every now and then.

-Coolant level has dropped a little bit, could be due to air pockets.

My desired resolution:

1)I would like the vehicle independently inspected for damage to the power train, including the cylinder heads of the engine.

2)I would like all necessary repairs performed at no cost to me and warranted for the life of the vehicle.

3)While the vehicle is inspected/repaired, I would like a loaner vehicle.

4)If the vehicle cannot be repaired, I would like it to be replaced or purchased for the original purchase price.

5)After the aforementioned resolutions, I will accept a full refund for the original cost of the service.

Does that sound fair? I've mentioned this three times in my Better Business Bureau complaint but none of those points have been addressed by the dealership.

Subaru of America has offered $1,500 towards a new vehicle, but that is the extent of their involvement. I have a case number with them but they said they can't exert any pressure on dealerships.

SOA can exert a lot of pressure on the dealer ship, a Local LI dealer messed my dad's transmission up 4 times, finally they told the dealer to fix it or pay for the complete replacement them selves, then they forgot to connect the speedo, my dad had the car towed to another dealer, SOA acted as the go between to coordinate the payments.

Don't take the standard line from Subaru.

Archived