LegacyGT.com

JL audio cleansweep

KayGT

The cleansweep solved the whole integrated headunit problem and I highly recommend it. It actually far surpassed my expectations. The sound couldn't be crisper and i'm all about clarity not bass. My setup sounds absolutely amazing. The setup being: 2 alpine amps, 4 6.5" alpine Type R speakers with components in the front, and 1 10" audiobahn sub and 1 cleansweep. I never thought i'd be satisfied with any setup being stuck with the stock headunit but JL made 1 heck of a product.

I was just wondering for those of you who have the cleansweep, where did you install your volume knob? Here is my drilling creativity.

http://i224.photobucket.com/albums/dd316/pkay23/IMG_0034.jpg

Glad you're enjoying your Cleansweep. Thank you for posting your impressions... here's my knob... errrmmmm, let me rephrase that... here's where I put my master volume knob (the second knob is the amp's bass knob).

http://legacygt.com/forums/vbpgimage.php?do=full&p=222&d=1115157859

Manville Smith

JL Audio, Inc.

P.S. I live in South Florida... we don't exactly need seat heaters very often. :p

Well it says that its okay in the back of the manual. Still sounds better than stock!

That's correct... the Cleansweep still corrects the system's baseline eq, even if you use the stock volume knob. You will, however, get a bass boost at lower volumes (below about "15") and a bass cut at high volumes (above Vol "30") if you use the stock knob. The CS knob is completely linear.

• 3 weeks later...

very interested in hearing what components are required for getting an aux input for my ipod/iphone.

i currently have the OEM speakers and OEM sub (which is under the driver's seat).

any idea which cleansweep item(s) I would need and where a reputable installer is located near Danbury, CT?

I'm reluctant to try Jazzy's silent CD hack as I can practically guarantee I'll break something trying to install.

Would love to also get a ballpark figure on how much something like this would cost, installed.

many thanks and Happy Holidays!

very interested in hearing what components are required for getting an aux input for my ipod/iphone.

i currently have the OEM speakers and OEM sub (which is under the driver's seat).

any idea which cleansweep item(s) I would need and where a reputable installer is located near Danbury, CT?

I'm reluctant to try Jazzy's silent CD hack as I can practically guarantee I'll break something trying to install.

Would love to also get a ballpark figure on how much something like this would cost, installed.

many thanks and Happy Holidays!

If you want to continue to use the stock speakers and subwoofer, the Cleansweep is not for you. It is meant to be used with outboard amplifiers. It sounds like you may be interested in the upcoming Alpine EX-10 to integrate with your factory system.

If you want to continue to use the stock speakers and subwoofer, the Cleansweep is not for you. It is meant to be used with outboard amplifiers. It sounds like you may be interested in the upcoming Alpine EX-10 to integrate with your factory system.

How would this work w/an 05 LGT? Would it still just be a FM transmitter or does it hard wire to our radios some how? Seems interesting if it can hardwire.

No pics yet ...but i have it right between the seat heaters...very easy to adjust...the indicator and a separate bass control for my JL W6 and wagon enclosure is in the blanks to the left of the steering wheel!

I will posts pics when I have a chance!

J

• 3 weeks later...
Can you still use the factory speaker wires when integrating a cleansweep into the stereo system? A Best Buy installer told me that I would have to run all new speaker wire with the cleansweep, and that it is not necessary in order to retain my factory head unit. He said I could add amps, component speakers, and a sub, etc. without the cleansweep. I would also retain the factory speaker wires. If thats the case, why would I use a cleansweep? The concept of the cleansweep make so much sense to me, so should I skip the cleansweep or what?

1'st.. you listened to what a BB installer said, which is probably a good thing since now you know not to have it installed there :lol:

Yes, you can retain factory wires (I would recommend this http://www.geocities.com/svxdc/Legacy-pinout.htm so you don't hack up your factory wires)

If you understand the concept of the cleansweep then you know why it is a good thing for the quality of your sound system. If you have the automatic climate controls you can't easily use an aftermarket headunit unless you install it where the cubby is. The nice thing about the CS is you can use all your factory stuff.

You're right, I won't be going to Best Buy. :lol: Especially now learning that he doesn't know what he is talking about. (I guess I should have known that in the 1st place) I happened upon the installer after looking at LCD TVs. I thought I would see if he had heard of the CS, and it went from there. I don't know enough, so that is why I thought I'd come back here. And yes, my climate controls are auto, and I've got NAV. So, I know the CS will help, but is is absolutely necessary???

Perhaps not "absolutely necessary" but if you want to get decent performance and quality out of your amps and speakers then yes.

The CS corrects the wonky factory EQ from the headunit. When you have it installed, the installer will use a CS reference CD. The CS "knows" what the sound should sound like when it gets sent to the amp, so it takes the reference signal from the headunit, corrects any wonky EQ and sends it to the amps the way it should sound like.

Also, the factory head unit does other weird things like cut bass the more you turn it up. Using the CS with the CS volume controls eliminates this too.

IMO if you are going to the effort to install better quality amplifiers and speakers (presumably for better quality sound) then you want to make sure the amps are getting the best signal possible.

Yeah, your right. It does mean it is "absolutely necessary". I am not going to drop $1000+ in audio without the CS. It made sense before, but it makes more sense now. Thanks for all of your help!

That's correct... the Cleansweep still corrects the system's baseline eq, even if you use the stock volume knob. You will, however, get a bass boost at lower volumes (below about "15") and a bass cut at high volumes (above Vol "30") if you use the stock knob. The CS knob is completely linear.

Hey msmith I love my zr 6.5componts I have them in all of my doors and man they sound really good. I was wondering how many years that they are warrenty for? I have it set right at "30" and I use my cleansweep knob as a volume and then I have my remote bass knob.

• 1 month later...
If you adjust the stock volume away from what you calibrated the CS at, you are basicly defeating the purpose of the CS.

Absolutely wasn't the case. Sound was crystal clear at whatever position of the stock knob which it wouldn't make sense for the CS to calibrate the volume but rather the sound waves. (yes i know loudness is a characteristic of the wave)

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a257/mwiener2/CSControls.jpg

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a257/mwiener2/IMG_0387.jpg

FTW for sure!!! Nice location, might even be better than my suggestion of below the mirror adjustment knob in the blank buttons!

Oh, and BPM is where it's at...

Archived