LegacyGT.com

JL audio cleansweep

KayGT

It might still be clear, but you are still defeating the purpose of the CS.

For people who don't quite understand:

The factory headunit boosts low frequencies at lower volume levels and cuts them at higher volumes. The sound that you hear when listening to lower volumes is NOT the same sound you hear when you turn the volume up.

The CS's job is to get a flat EQ from the headunit to the amplifier. To do this, the CS must know what the headunit outputs and it can then correct the EQ so that the output to the amplifier is flat.

So, if you set the volume at 20 on the headunit, the headunit will be cutting the lower frequencies by xdB. This will result in music that doesn't sound like it should sound, too little bass.

The CS setup CD plays a reference tone through the factory CD player. The CS knows what this tone should sound like, and alters the EQ accordingly so you get a flat output to your amplifier.

Example:

Let's say the factory headunit cuts the lower frequencies by 10 dB with the volume set to 20, (just pulling a number out of the sky here, I don't know what it actually does) then the CS knows to boost those frequencies by 10 dB. Now you have music that hasn't lost the bass.

However, when you change the volume on the factory headunit down to say 10, the factory headunit now boosts the bass to say 0 dB. Since the CS (or any other device) cannot tell if you have changed the volume or if it is simply a quieter piece of music, it cannot alter the EQ automatically, so it applies the same correction it did when you ran the setup (in this case, boosting the bass by 10 dB.

What does this mean? You now have too much bass and you are defeating the purpose of the CS's EQ capabilities.

So basically you're saying that you should only use the CS's volume control? Should you have your factory volume set at zero?

No, I believe most people have their factory stereo volume control set at 20 (or the level that they initially set up their CS at) and then use the CS's volume knob.

The CS volume knob will change the volume of the CS and maintain the EQ correction that it has applied. If you set the factory volume at zero, then nothing will be output to the CS ;)

That's what I figured.. Cool, I think I will buy a cleansweep instead of installing an aftermarket HU in the cubby.

• 3 months later...

How are most of you getting a subwoofer signal from your cleansweep?

Here is what 've got planned so far.

Stock HU -> JL Cleansweep -> MB Quart RAA-4200 4channel amp -> speakers.

I have a JL 500/1 amp for the sub, just not sure how to connect it. Between the Cleansweep and the amp I imagine.

I've searched but the answer eludes me.

• 9 months later...
I highly recomend the alpine imprint system. I cant compare proccesing quality because I have never heard a cleansweep setup. However the imprint has a basic 3 band eq, and sub volume on a remote unit also 2 stored audio modes. Its pretty handy and sounds damn good. P.S That little volume knob for the cleansweep is just for the preamp volume not the stock head unit right? You still have use of the factory controls right?

• 1 month later...

Tried to search, but didn't find clear anwser, so I'm still confused :

1) Can we tune it with a mic and pink noise ?

2) If I understand after the install, we are still able to use the OEM volume button, but it's recommanded to use the CS volume button so the bass stay "OK" ? Or you must do that just if you have an AUX (like an iPod) connected ?

3) Do I need an amp to drive my speakers or the CS can do it (like the factory radio...) ? If I don't need amp, what's the RMS power the "build-in" CS amp is ?

Tried to search, but didn't find clear anwser, so I'm still confused :

1) Can we tune it with a mic and pink noise ?

- No, it is not adjustable.

2) If I understand after the install, we are still able to use the OEM volume button, but it's recommended to use the CS volume button so the bass stay "OK" ? Or you must do that just if you have an AUX (like an iPod) connected ?

-You really should use the CS volume. It keeps the bass output linear. If you use the CS Aux-in, yes you need its volume control to switch sources (pushes down).

3) Do I need an amp to drive my speakers or the CS can do it (like the factory radio...) ? If I don't need amp, what's the RMS power the "build-in" CS amp is ?

-It will not pass through power. It only outputs low-level RCA signal to then feed to an amp.

• 1 month later...

I have an '09 OBXT with the premium :rolleyes: HK system: anyone used the Harmon amp under the pass seat?

Anyone know where a wiring diagram may exist to find the lines-in on that amp so one could send the CS line to it? I have searched far and wide and find no one who has done this. I think the HK option is useless without CS-ing the factory HU - it's under performing with that damn factory HU.... Hate hate hate it and its fancified EQ nonsense.

This is my first post, but I've spent all day researching about the head unit issues. I've read about the 2007 HU swap, JDM double din, the Highline, the AVO single dim cubby, the blank cd hack, and now the clean sweep and I'm actually considering not purchasing the 06 Outback sedan I've been looking to buy because of this mess : (

has anyone tried to rewire the factory volume knob to control the CS?

no, and you can't

Has anyone tried using the stock volume control to control the CS? Not to challenge you if you've been there done that, but I'm curious as to why it won't or what it would take to change it. There is no ways to solder to the back of the volume knob and bring it to the CS control connector? I'm no EE and not sure how voltages line up or whats needed to make them agree, but maybe someone else does?

BTW mw thats a sweet outback. especially like the 13.7, its cool to know an outback can move like that.

Sully, you mentioned many research topics but in case u skipped over this thread I would recommend this as it eliminates the need for CS altogether...http://www.legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=113589

I would def reassess the situation to anyone who has not purchased the CS yet and is considering it in light of the HVAC solution.

This is my first post, but I've spent all day researching about the head unit issues. I've read about the 2007 HU swap, JDM double din, the Highline, the AVO single dim cubby, the blank cd hack, and now the clean sweep and I'm actually considering not purchasing the 06 Outback sedan I've been looking to buy because of this mess : (

Has anyone tried using the stock volume control to control the CS? Not to challenge you if you've been there done that, but I'm curious as to why it won't or what it would take to change it. There is no ways to solder to the back of the volume knob and bring it to the CS control connector? I'm no EE and not sure how voltages line up or whats needed to make them agree, but maybe someone else does?

BTW mw thats a sweet outback. especially like the 13.7, its cool to know an outback can move like that.

The stock volume knob is built onto the circuit board of the radio/HVAC. Any attempt to hack into it could fry the whole thing.

The CS knob is analog based and the radio knob is digital. You'd also have to figure in the mode switching of the CS knob.

(Updated 8/22/17)

2005 Outback FMT

Running on Electrons

Just leave the cleansweep controls at a moderate level, say 50%, and then use the radio knob. Just don't forget to control the CS volume BEFORE switching to the alternate source. I just moved the CS controls (for the 3rd time) into the center armrest cubby and am doing exactly that. No problems, except I got in the habit of changing the volume with the CS knob I had by the shifter.

^^ as said many times in just about every CS thread..... If you use the stock radio volume knob to adjust volume instead of using the CS knob, you are defeating the whole purpose of having the CS. You might as well just get some $10 Line out Converters.

(Updated 8/22/17)

2005 Outback FMT

Running on Electrons

Archived