LegacyGT.com

94k on stock clutch

karamba

Yesterday morning I was driving out and noticed some scraping metallic noise and a smell (not the stinky clutch smell) coming from the car. I finally figured that the noise only happened when I depress the clutch. The car bucks in reverse gear only. It almost goes away at highway speeds. I have been waiting for the clutch to go out (94k must be some kind of record with my driving style) so I figured it was time and based on some research ordered a spec stage 2 clutch and flywheel.

My concern is that something else could be wrong. From my description of the problem above did I make the right decision?

exactly the same symptoms as mine when it went. Car had metallic chattering sounds when clutch was depressed and would not always grab, felt like car was bucking.Although i have the car sitting and havent had the chance to replace it yet. Keep me updated, im curious whats going to fall out when you break apart the trans :).
06 TB EVO IX SE stock turbo monster subaru hater :lol:

• 3 weeks later...

So I replaced my clutch, myself!. First thing, if you are thinking of replacing the clutch on the LGT yourself, ... don't. Let someone else enjoy the headache.

I followed the Subaru manual which is missing some crucial steps so be warned. My removal /installation went generally as follows:

1. Disconnected negative terminal of the battery.

2. Removed intercooler and neutral and back up light connectors on top of transmission. Also disconnected tranmission ground cable

3. Removed starter (starter holds two upper bolts of transmission case)

4. Removed the remaining upper transmission bolts. The downpipe was in the way and I considered removing it but left it alone so I could have something to cuss at

5. Jacked up vehicle and placed it on stands

6. Removed the exhaust downwind of the downpipe

7. Removed the heatshield

8. Removed the propeller shaft

9. Eventually removed the front half drive shafts. The best way to to this is to completely removing them, taking out the brakes, brake rotor, and the housing. This might seem like a lot of work but believe me this would save you hours. More on this later.

10. Drained the transmission and placed a transmission jack under the car and supported the transmission with it. Make sure you get a good quality transmission jack that allows side to side adjustment as well as fore and aft

11. Removed the lower transmission bolts

12. Fought with the transmission for about an hour trying to remove it. Finally, I jacked up the front of the engine just behind the uppipe to lower its rear with a thin 2X6 piece of wood. After a lot more cussing and screaming and sweating the transmission came loose. The Subaru manual recommends a special tool to lower the engine's rear but this method is just as good.

13. Removed the clutch housing and clutch. For all the noise the car was making the clutch was not that bad - the exposed rivets holding the clutch material together were the ones making the noise

14. Tried to remove the flywheel. Subaru has these special torx heads holding the flywheel . I could take out 6 out of 8. Broke four torx bits trying to remove the other two. Finally stripped the heads. I did not feel like drilling out bolts after a long day and "hey, the original flywheel still looks quite good". So it stayed in place. Anyone looking for a lightweight LGT flywheel?

15. Installed the new clutch and housing. Watch the orientation of the housing here - you should have marked it when you removed the old one. Also do use the clutch alignment tool

16. The rear differential is wide open and convenient so why not service it now?

17. Lifted up the transmission and realigned it with the engine. Got the lower two bolts in and then used the upper bolts to pull the rest of the transmission in. Wish it was that easy. This was a MAJOR pain in the neck. I had to keep jacking up the front of the engine and then shoving and wiggling the transmission till it eventually decided to align itself. Also if you have long bolts (10mm X 12 fine threads 8.8) things would be a lot easier once the lower bolts are lined up

18. Bolted as much of the transmission as I could till it was completely sucked in. Tightened to torque specs

19. Installed starter and transmission ground cable and reconnected the connectors on top of the transmission.

20. Installed the half drive shafts. There is a spring clip at the end of the splines. If you do not completely remove the drive shafts, you would not have the leverage to push them back in. Believe me, it is not fun to lose almost 4 liters of synthetic transmission fluid in order to find out. Also I would recommend replacing the front differential oil seals. If you went the Subaru method of removing the drive shafts, you are almost guaranteed to damage them.

21. Reinstalled propeller shaft and exhaust

22. Reinstalled intercooler

23. ... there is no 23

24. Profit. The new clutch grabs! It takes practice to smoothly release in first gear. I can also feel some stuttering in first. The pedal reaches lower in order to engage the clutch. It is a bit easier on the legs. Overall, I am very happy with the new clutch. Let's see how long it lasts.

Archived