LegacyGT.com

My Falken 912 review

Dakar95Matt

My wife has an 05 LGT, and we've had the 912's on for about 1000 miles. Keep in mind the the RE92's were on the car before this, and those are the only tires for this car anyway that I am able to make a comparison from. On the highway the 912's are a touch softer than the RE92's, that being said I feel that they have noticeably more grip than the 92's. They are very quiet on the highway and seem to be riding better the longer they are on the car. We've had no problem in the rain, the tires have done a good job in that respect. Last night we got about 4 or 5 inches of snow, so of course I had to go play in it. Just like you would expect I had zero problem turning or starting from a dead stop even if I floored it. However, the one concern that I do have with the 912's is their ability to stop in the snow. In my opinion this is a point where the 912's fall short. I feel that even for a Z-rated tire they don't do a good job of stopping in the snow, in the dry and wet there is no problem they are glued to the ground if you have to stop. So far for $76 bucks and a 40000 mile tread life warranty I am very satisfied with the tire. If there's anything I left out, ask, I'll answer the best I can.

Matt

Sounds like snow performance has definitely improved over the 512s, even given the snow-stop fault you'd noted.

Questions - what pressures were you running (hot or cold?)? what's your tire and wheel sizing?

Thanks for the update! :D

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

'16 Outback, '16 WRX, 7th Subaru Family

Sounds like snow performance has definitely improved over the 512s, even given the snow-stop fault you'd noted.

Questions - what pressures were you running (hot or cold?)? what's your tire and wheel sizing?

Thanks for the update! :D

Well, I can't compare them to the 512's because I've never run them on any car. I am running the stock wheels with 215/45/17's, I have the fronts set at 36 and the rear at 38, cold.

^ No problem re: comparison. :) I was just shooting for an outside chance on that one. ;)

Thank you re: sizing and pressure setup. :)

Follow-up to that -> have you tried a front-biased (higher pressure) setting? Just wondering why you chose the higher pressure at the rear - to get more neutral handling, overall?

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

^ No problem re: comparison. :) I was just shooting for an outside chance on that one. ;)

Thank you re: sizing and pressure setup. :)

Follow-up to that -> have you tried a front-biased (higher pressure) setting? Just wondering why you chose the higher pressure at the rear - to get more neutral handling, overall?

To be completely honest that is me not being very educated on Subies and AWD cars in general. I've always driven BMW's which obviously are RWD(M3 now), and it never turned a lightbulb on in my head until I read your post just now. I'm not sure what the best tire pressure is for the car and for the winter in general, I'm sure it would make difference if I am way off base right now. Perhaps someone else can chime in on this.:spin:

^ I don't think you're off-base at all - it just might be that your years of driving powerful RWD vehicles made you feel more at-ease and gave you more control with a more neutrally-balanced vehicle setup.

I say "more neutral" because there was a discussion just a few pages back in which a lot of the guys said that the front-bias was to also help promote understeer (as well as the obvious offset of vehicle F/R weight bias). As such, I wonder if perhaps you just "take better" to the rear bias, which may give your setup a bit more "neutral balance," as what Tim G. suggested.

As with the others in that thread, I don't think that there's, particularly, a right or wrong of setting tire pressures, aside from drastic/dangerous underfilling or overfilling, of course! :lol: I think that a lot of this is - and should be - based on our own driving preferences. :)

If they're softer than RE92's, they're definitely off my list next time I'm looking at tires - 512's had the same problem, sidewalls were way too soft for my preferences (had a set on my old FXT).

Bet they don't last 40k either - the 512's had a similar wear rating, got far less even with mostly highway driving...

We got some more snow last night so I went out for round 2 with the 912's, and let me reiterate that these tires DO NOT stop in the snow. They have very good traction to get going and even getting back on track after you throw the car around but stopping just plain out SUCKS.

yeah, not too happy with them either. but for what I paid, can't complain really. think I want something better.
258k miles - Stock engine/minor suspension upgrades/original shocks/rear struts replaced at 222k/4 passenger side wheel bearings/3 clutches/1 radiator/3 turbos

i just got them put on about 2 weeks ago. didn't get to play around much in the snow, but regular driving wasn't bad at all. they are soft. but i was thinking it felt really soft since i'm coming off the RE050A's (OEM SpecB).

quite and comfortable ride. i'll probably will get something else next time, but can't beat what you get for the price.

Hrrrmmmmm.....

compared to 512's ...huge improvement...no issues with sidewall softness at all, better grip in wet/dry

compared to re92's....all around improvement, ever try stopping in snow/ice on these....it was truly scary

compared to kumho asx...though the asx gripped a touch better on wet roads, the 912's stick in wet roads and hydroplane less through puddles. the sidewalls are much stronger and I don't get that spongy feel in the turns

from the reveiws I am reading I don't think I could suggest them to anyone that gets a decent amount of snow, however, they are an excellent choice for folks in wet/dry climates

my next alternative would be the bf g-force sports

great:mad::mad:. after reading the reviews of the 512's I'm not happy. my 912's are going back to discount tire because the tire shop I took them too could not fix the steering wheel vibration on their road force balancer.

I told the discount tire guy the 912's sucked big time in the snow and I wanted a better tire. He suggested the 512's. guess I'll have to see how I like them. :mad:

258k miles - Stock engine/minor suspension upgrades/original shocks/rear struts replaced at 222k/4 passenger side wheel bearings/3 clutches/1 radiator/3 turbos

As a quick follow up in my review I thought I'd share my experience this past weekend. We got hit pretty hard on sunday night here with snow, I live about an hour+ north of Pittsburgh. My wife and I had to take my grandma home from our family Christmas party and that involved some crazy steep ,narrow back roads. We got about 4-5 inches of snow in about 2 1/2 hrs, I actually had to stop several times because the wind was blowing so hard I couldn't see past the nose of the car. I was the only car on these unplowed roads, we saw no one else. The car NEVER slipped an inch, that may just be the car, but I now have no reservations about the car with these tires in any snowy conditions. I can't say enough about how the car performed, I can't but wonder how you guys with snow tires feel in the snow.

It could also be just that you were, rightfully, driving conservatively enough that you never exceeded the tire's limitations, even as limited as they are (no pun intended) in this respect.

That's the way I felt with even the RE92s, as well as with the 512s - the latter of which, on my factory '05 LGT rims, now resides on my wife's WRX. I took her WRX, with the 512s, out a little this past weekend, in the lighter stuff, to see if they were well-behaved enough, and given how conservatively I usually drive in the white, slippery stuff, I had to really push hard in order to exceed their envelope.

The same with the Dunlop WinterSport 3Ds I now have on Winky.

This matter, I think, is very relative - particularly when you're staying well within the safety bounds of the vehicle/tire under such conditions.

I got my 512's put on yesterday. steering wheel vibration is gone. I do notice that the side walls are a little softer than the 912's. reminds me of my kuhmos.

The 512's also flat spot overnight like my kuhmos did, but that goes away in about 100yards of driving the car.

I haven't pushed the tires much, but they seem ok overall. I drive nearly 40-45miles a day, so if these wear our soon, I'll definitely replace them with something better.

• 2 months later...

DO NOT ATTEMPT DRIVING ON ICE ON THESE TIRES

I mean not even mild patches of slush or ice...

we have seen our one-two days of snow and ice and these are horrible on ice just as the reviews state. I mean 20mph-0 stopping at a stop sign and antilock kicked in/slid

still love them...but not good on ice

Archived