LegacyGT.com

How about a "I love my Suby because..." thread

Out here in the desert - Subie has a total sleeper - uniqueness factor FTW! Turbo power and AWD to lay it down is awesome... my car just walks away from most vehicles out there with ease.

Every time it rains or snows (ok -- that's not often!) I love my AWD even more. This last week we had flash flooding - streets up to a foot deep in water running like rivers - and my car had no traction / control issues.

Fun-fun-fun to drive. Puts a smile on my face every day!

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Had I purchased the 2005 Toyota Tacoma that I originally wanted.........Crunch.

Funny, the other vehicle I considered was a 2008 Tacoma.

in no particular order (except for #1)

I love:

Fast

Turbo Spool Sound

Leather

Handling / AWD

Safety

Styling

Heated Seats

The Sleeper Effect

My rear bumper deflectors :p

Fun, check.

powerful, check.

controlled, check.

safe, check.

manual transmission, check.

four doors for passengers, check.

good looking, check.

not an obvious hell-raiser, check.

I love the fact that it nails every one of those points.

It is very powerful for the engine size, and vehicle weight. Yet it has impeccable AWD control, and very high safety ratings.

It is very good looking (especially in red) and looks more sophisticated than Subarus have in the past. Yet it isn't a "ricer" appearance, and doesn't scream for people to constantly race you, or cops to pull you over (although my front side window tint recently did... :mad: )

It is relatively comfortable for long trips, and very handsome inside, and welcoming without being pillowy and overly luxurious.

It is big enough for four people to take a day trip, without being a 2-ton barge.

It offers a manual transmission on the well-equipped trim lines. The GT Limited and Spec B get manual transmissions, where most manufacturers, ford being the most obvious, offer manual transmissions as an economy feature on the lowest trim lines only, and not paired with the bigger engines, or their optional AWD. Or they don't offer manual transmissions at all.

I love the fact that I got all this for a bit over 20k, with two sets of wheels for summers/snows, exhaust (which does sound very nice, and no longer too obnoxious) and in the neighborhood of 300hp that isn't difficult to actually use.

There are a few niggles, but all in all, this car is the practical-value-performer of the decade. I can't think of another car that combines as much practicality and performance for the modest price, without major difficiencies, like no manual trans, or high weight penalty.

The only other car on the market right now, under $50k that I would really love to own and drive every day would be a G37 coupe, and it is much more expensive, and not quite as practical. I can't say that it would definitively be worlds better than the Legacy GT I have. Somewhat nicer, probably; but with other tradeoffs, like cargo space, rear seat room, less traction, and a whole lot more debt to purchase. I am quite happy with my Legacy GT, and the G37 is too expensive for my budget, so I don't really feel any pressure there.

I only wish there were a bit more direct competition for both the Legacy GT and the G37, so that there was a bit more choice, and the competition would refine the cars to offer more benefits for the money, or a price decrease to compete. Even if those two cars were still the best choices, competition makes them better, which is evident in the improvements in the G37 over the G53c.

I hope the next version of the Legacy GT is similarly improved over current, although the weight increase that the G37 received is one thing they can leave off.

And heaven help me if Subaru were to revive a successor to the SVX as a Legacy-chassis coupe variant, with looks as good as the G coupes, performance and equipment like the WRX STI, and dimensions, chassis, and interior similar and upgraded a bit from the Legacy. I so want that car... With a 3.6 H6/5EAT pushing ~290hp for the cruiser crowd, and STI 2.5 turbo/6MT/DCCD (~305hp, less weight) for the sport enthusiasts... I would save, and maybe even consider more debt for that car, especially painted WRB.

I love my Subie because it "ain't" the POS Ford Five-Hundred it replaced. This is my wife and my fourth Subaru product. Nothing like the good old boxer 4 churning away under the hood.... the sound has gotten me home many a time in good and bad weather. Both of my children's first car ride was in a Subie. Only wreck I ever had was in a Subie. T-boned a Ford Ranger going about 50 MPH... no scratches, not even a seatbelt burn. (I know the good Lord was looking out for us.) Bent the frame of the Ranger into an "L" shape. Our outback sedan was out of commission about 7 weeks, but was as good as new when we got her back.

Where else can you get a top notch AWD vehicle with the reliability and gas mileage (compared to any other AWD alternative) for a little more than $20K?

I was leaving a restaurant today and some guys actually stopped walking and turned around when he realized I unlocked my car to ask what it was.

I explained, he said he didn't even know Subaru offered a car that size or that looked that good. (all the time the car was pulled face first into a spot, so he didn't even get the best angle of her ;) )

First Time EVER I have had a total stranger compliment me on a car. I am still grining.

Fun, check.

powerful, check.

controlled, check.

safe, check.

manual transmission, check.

four doors for passengers, check.

good looking, check.

not an obvious hell-raiser, check.

I love the fact that it nails every one of those points.

It is very powerful for the engine size, and vehicle weight. Yet it has impeccable AWD control, and very high safety ratings.

It is very good looking (especially in red) and looks more sophisticated than Subarus have in the past. Yet it isn't a "ricer" appearance, and doesn't scream for people to constantly race you, or cops to pull you over (although my front side window tint recently did... :mad: )

It is relatively comfortable for long trips, and very handsome inside, and welcoming without being pillowy and overly luxurious.

It is big enough for four people to take a day trip, without being a 2-ton barge.

It offers a manual transmission on the well-equipped trim lines. The GT Limited and Spec B get manual transmissions, where most manufacturers, ford being the most obvious, offer manual transmissions as an economy feature on the lowest trim lines only, and not paired with the bigger engines, or their optional AWD. Or they don't offer manual transmissions at all.

I love the fact that I got all this for a bit over 20k, with two sets of wheels for summers/snows, exhaust (which does sound very nice, and no longer too obnoxious) and in the neighborhood of 300hp that isn't difficult to actually use.

There are a few niggles, but all in all, this car is the practical-value-performer of the decade. I can't think of another car that combines as much practicality and performance for the modest price, without major difficiencies, like no manual trans, or high weight penalty.

The only other car on the market right now, under $50k that I would really love to own and drive every day would be a G37 coupe, and it is much more expensive, and not quite as practical. I can't say that it would definitively be worlds better than the Legacy GT I have. Somewhat nicer, probably; but with other tradeoffs, like cargo space, rear seat room, less traction, and a whole lot more debt to purchase. I am quite happy with my Legacy GT, and the G37 is too expensive for my budget, so I don't really feel any pressure there.

I only wish there were a bit more direct competition for both the Legacy GT and the G37, so that there was a bit more choice, and the competition would refine the cars to offer more benefits for the money, or a price decrease to compete. Even if those two cars were still the best choices, competition makes them better, which is evident in the improvements in the G37 over the G53c.

I hope the next version of the Legacy GT is similarly improved over current, although the weight increase that the G37 received is one thing they can leave off.

And heaven help me if Subaru were to revive a successor to the SVX as a Legacy-chassis coupe variant, with looks as good as the G coupes, performance and equipment like the WRX STI, and dimensions, chassis, and interior similar and upgraded a bit from the Legacy. I so want that car... With a 3.6 H6/5EAT pushing ~290hp for the cruiser crowd, and STI 2.5 turbo/6MT/DCCD (~305hp, less weight) for the sport enthusiasts... I would save, and maybe even consider more debt for that car, especially painted WRB.

+ Check

Pretty much my sentiments exactly. I'm an Infiniti fan as well. The Spec.B was a bigger bang for the buck so here I am.:)

That SVX was a pretty capable car.

Archived