LegacyGT.com

"crackling" sounds from cold shift boot leather?

Zed 2.0

The interior of my car got quite cold last night, enough to make the leather on the shift boot and parking brake boot stiff. While shifting gears, the leather made a loud crinkling/crackling noise until the interior of the car got warm.

Is this a common problem? It's ridiculously annoying.

I have the same annoyance, it became even more prevalent when I installed the Cobb STS.

I plan on ordering a custom shift boot, but haven't received a clear answer as to how to size the boot for the adjustable shifter. My hope is that the shorter boot won't gather up as much and make that noise when shifting.

I have the same annoyance, it became even more prevalent when I installed the Cobb STS.

I plan on ordering a custom shift boot, but haven't received a clear answer as to how to size the boot for the adjustable shifter. My hope is that the shorter boot won't gather up as much and make that noise when shifting.

I never had this problem on my prior car even with a STS on it. I think simply going to leather that's better quality than the cheap Subaru stuff might fix the problem.

I don't think that stuff is actually real leather. The back side of it is definitely some kind of man-made fabric so I'm sure the outside is probably a type of vinyl or something. I replaced the shifter and e-brake boot with ones from Redlinegoods.com (see here: http://www.legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=21775) and they are awesome quality. There are also tons of different combinations you can do with leather colors/types and stitching colors. The real leather boots stay soft when it's cold and do not freeze up like the stock ones.

Underdog: I ordered my shift boot 3 inches shorter than the stock boot for my Cobb STS and probably could have gone with 4 inches. You can see some pics of mine here from CasopoliS' sale thread for his new shift knobs: http://www.legacygt.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1516362&postcount=28.

Sweet, thanks Dave. I have my top adjustment at its lowest and the bottom adjustment at it's highest just barely hitting plate in first. Maybe 3.5"? I don't mind a little slack in it but the stock boot just doesn't cut it anymore.

You'd probably be better off with 4" at least because I think mine might be adjusted up a little higher than yours is. My bottom adjustment is raised to where it just barely misses the plate in first, but my top adjustment has almost 2" (1 7/8" to be exact) of the shaft showing between the blue part of the shifter and the start of the threads (that measurement may be different if you have one of the older style, all-black, Cobb shifters).

Nope it's the blue anodized DA STS. I have the top adjustment down to the point where the boot has just enough room to clear the edge of the blue body and attach to the knob, any lower and the boot/knob interface would bottom out before the knob was tight. Good reference though, I can't wait to order the boots for christmas.

• 4 weeks later...
Unless I am misunderstanding what the bulletin says, it looks like the replacement boots are for actual cracks in the leather, not crackling sounds. Still, that's a good find, and I printed it out for future reference.

Archived