LegacyGT.com

500-600 for a good set up

Andreu

What would you guys choose if spending 500-600 on a spring and strut set-up?

I want to do anti sway and tower brace, but i also want to lower it a bit without sacraficing drivability. What would you go with. Also dont include sway bars and tower brace in that price.

I'd save the money and spend it on tires and a good alignment. You'll get way more performance by getting better tires. The reason behind this is that in stock class autocrossing vs modded class autocrossing is that you'll see that cars in the stock class are allowed to take advantage of the change of tires and a front sway bar only. When you compare the performance, results and times, you'll see that tires will go A LONG way. There were many comparisons when a stock class car with race tires only can do so much better than a car with struts and springs and normal street tires.

The logic comes from the fact that with a stiffer suspension setup, you are only putting more emphasis on the tires. And of course, the only thing that you have contact with you and the car to the ground is the tires. So the stiffer you go, the more strain and emphasis that you tires has to be able to handle the increased weight/force transfer.

Having a softer compliant suspension isn't that bad, it only means you can toss the car around more to get the weight to transfer to make use of the tires. How your tires will really determine how much grip you have. If you dont transfer enough weight over the tires, you're not going to get grip. Makes sense?

Keefe

I'd save the money and spend it on tires and a good alignment. You'll get way more performance by getting better tires. The reason behind this is that in stock class autocrossing vs modded class autocrossing is that you'll see that cars in the stock class are allowed to take advantage of the change of tires and a front sway bar only. When you compare the performance, results and times, you'll see that tires will go A LONG way. There were many comparisons when a stock class car with race tires only can do so much better than a car with struts and springs and normal street tires.

The logic comes from the fact that with a stiffer suspension setup, you are only putting more emphasis on the tires. And of course, the only thing that you have contact with you and the car to the ground is the tires. So the stiffer you go, the more strain and emphasis that you tires has to be able to handle the increased weight/force transfer.

Having a softer compliant suspension isn't that bad, it only means you can toss the car around more to get the weight to transfer to make use of the tires. How your tires will really determine how much grip you have. If you dont transfer enough weight over the tires, you're not going to get grip. Makes sense?

Hey thanks, that makes me feel better. Do the potenza tires from the sti work good?

I just spent $550 having 4 Kumho SPTs installed out the door.

HUGE improvement over stock. I have not killed a single bunny since I got them. The car's handling increased considerably. Not to mention braking and wet traction and hydroplane resistance. Very satisfied and falls right in your budget.

you can get better summer tires for the money such as the potenza RE-01R. Do you need allseason tires though since you are in ohio?

The re-01r's are awesome tires but for the price you can't beat STI take offs. They are very similar in grip. I just got a set of like new 8/32nds for $320 shipped. :)

used jdm bilstein and spring combo. monkeyhermit is selling a setup in classifieds right now.

im running a $650 used jdm setup and was best bang for the $$$ for my needs.

how much does the JDM set up lower the car and how's the ride?

how much does the JDM set up lower the car and how's the ride?

depends on the springs, im dropped about 1" all around on the provas, the swifts actually drop more in the front and less in the back compared to the provas so gap would look pretty even from the get go. also keep in mind im running a speb b wheel and tire setup which is 1" larger in diameter then oem re92s on 17s, so that eats up another .5" of gap.

heres my setup

http://www.legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=67196&highlight=prova

monkey has pics in his sale thread

http://www.legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=76498

MAYHEM

#122/22 STS NNJR SCCA

AUTOX4U.COM

XENON RETRO GUIDE

Archived