LegacyGT.com

Steering wheel vibrates upon breaking

ciadrew

So i just bought a black 05 lgt with 30k miles two weeks ago...absolutely love this car! Anyway, I don't remember any problems during the test drive, and it passed inspection in October, but when i break at speeds about 45-60 or above the steering wheel vibrates back and forth. Anyone else have this problem or any idea what might be causing it?

I've had that problem on my 05 LGT wagon (which I bought new) too. I took it to the shop and they turned my brake rotors. It might have been a little better for a while, but quickly was just as bad again. I took it back and they did a "deep turning" of the rotors (for free), said somehow the first turning must not have been even. The steering wheel vibration went away for a while, but now it's back a few months later. I've been trying to figure out if that shop is just incompetent, or there's something weird going on with my brakes, or what.

I warped the rotors on my 98 Outback wagon several times. The worst case was when I was driving (and braking) hard one afternoon when I came across a flooded creek crossing. I had to drive through about 8 inches of water with hot brakes. They were warped all to hell after that. Had to get new rotors. Most of the other times were caused by my excessive braking going down steep mountains.

that or that you have pad deposits on your rotors.. which can be cleaned off if you have some hard set of brake pads (like track pads).. typically you can also get them resurfaced by a shop, but in my cases, I just drive harder and give a really hard stab at the brakes in a desolate road to clean them off..
Keefe

I had my rotors turned in Jan. by the dealer under warranty, they are pulsing again and I have a real spongey pedal. My '05 only has 18000 on it so I'm taking it back to see what they can do for me. I think it's just S@*t rotors and pad from the factory.

Fat people are hard to kidnap!!!

Thanks for ur suggestions everyone. I tried doing a few quick jabs at the breaks a few days ago and that seems to have worked a lot. The vibration isn't nearly as bad as it used to be. I'm gonna do it again to see if i can get rid of anymore vibration...if not I have a new set of front pads that the previous owner sold to me with the car i'll put on either this weekend or next, the brake are pretty worn anyway

I miked them myself...been trained to read the thing. I replace the pads as well when i find problems with the rotor, so I cant discount the pad thing either. to each their own. it was a durango and a dakota that i had rotor problems with as well not the suby...

I miked them myself...been trained to read the thing. I replace the pads as well when i find problems with the rotor, so I cant discount the pad thing either. to each their own. it was a durango and a dakota that i had rotor problems with as well not the suby...

pads deposits on a rotor can cause the mic to read runout. performing a bed-in sequence uses the pads to scrub off those uneven layers.

Not saying you didn't have a warped rotor, it is physically possible, but highly unlikely.

ignore him, he'll go away.

Archived